ZMK and diabetes

1. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Answers

ZMK and diabetes

Would ZMK supplementation be an issue for someone with diabetes? (not me)

2. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    Would ZMK supplementation be an issue for someone with diabetes? (not me)
    In my opinion it would be a huge benefit to someone with diabetes. Mineral deficiencies are quite common in both type 1 and 2 diabetics and sufficient mineral intake may aid greatly in glucose control.

There have been a couple of studies done where an inverse association was found between type 2 diabetes and magnesium intake. The study basically suggests that magnesium supplementation could help prevent the onset of type 2 diabetes.

Here are a couple of blurbs .

Magnesium Deficiency in Diabetes
    Diabetes mellitus is probably the most common disorder associated with magnesium depletion.[lv][55] More than 30% of ambulatory diabetic patients without renal insufficiency were hypomagnesemic on a multifactorial basis.[lvi][56] A significant negative correlation was noted between serum/plasma magnesium and blood glycohemoglobin levels in insulin-dependent pregnant women, with significant relationships to the rates of spontaneous abortion and malformation.[lvii][57] About one-third of infants born to diabetic mothers were hypomagnesemic during the first 3 days of life. Similar negative correlations were noted between plasma and muscle magnesium and glycohemoglobin levels in adult insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (IDDM).[lviii][58] In one group of children with IDDM, serum magnesium, calcium, PTH, calcitriol, and osteocalcin levels were lower than in age-and sex-matched controls;[lix][59] in another series, magnesium and potassium were low in skeletal muscle.[lx][60] Following oral magnesium supplementaion, these values increased significantly. Supplementation also decreased the insulin requirement.[lxi][61] When very elderly patients with normal serum magnesium and glucose levels but subnormal erythrocyte magnesium concentrations were given oral daily magnesium supplements, their erythrocyte magnesium levels rose, accompanied by net increases in insulin secretion and action.[lxii][62]

Magnesium depletion in diabetic ketoacidosis occurs in part because of acidosis-induced cellular loss. Many such patients have normal or elevated serum magnesium (because of decreased glomerular filtration with volume contraction), but administration of fluid and insulin (particularly with intermittent relatively large amounts of the latter) without supplementary magnesium soon induces low serum levels indicating low tissue levels.[lxiii][63]

Intracellular magnesium concentration is reduced in muscle and in various blood cells of type II diabetics.[lxiv][64] One cause of depletion appears to be increased urinary losses accompanying glycosuria-induced osmotic diuresis. Because insulin normally increases intracellular magnesium concentration, the insulin lack or resistance of the two types of diabetics has been suggested as a cause of reduced intracellular magnesium. Magnesium-deficient type II diabetics with decreased red cell magnesium had increased sensitivity to platelet aggregation, which was reduced by magnesium supplements.[lxv][65]

Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA. rlopez@hsph.harvard.edu

OBJECTIVE: To examine the association between magnesium intake and risk of type 2 diabetes. RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS: We followed 85,060 women and 42,872 men who had no history of diabetes, cardiovascular disease, or cancer at baseline. Magnesium intake was evaluated using a validated food frequency questionnaire every 2-4 years. After 18 years of follow-up in women and 12 years in men, we documented 4,085 and 1,333 incident cases of type 2 diabetes, respectively. RESULTS: After adjusting for age, BMI, physical activity, family history of diabetes, smoking, alcohol consumption, and history of hypertension and hypercholesterolemia at baseline, the relative risk (RR) of type 2 diabetes was 0.66 (95% CI 0.60-0.73; P for trend <0.001) in women and 0.67 (0.56-0.80; P for trend <0.001) in men, comparing the highest with the lowest quintile of total magnesium intake. The RRs remained significant after additional adjustment for dietary variables, including glycemic load, polyunsaturated fat, trans fat, cereal fiber, and processed meat in the multivariate models. The inverse association persisted in subgroup analyses according to BMI, physical activity, and family history of diabetes. CONCLUSIONS: Our findings suggest a significant inverse association between magnesium intake and diabetes risk. This study supports the dietary recommendation to increase consumption of major food sources of magnesium, such as whole grains, nuts, and green leafy vegetables.

PMID: 14693979 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
  3. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Awesome reply, thank you!
    •   

4. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    Awesome reply, thank you!
    Glad to help! Have a great night!
  5. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Zmk is a great sleep aid
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  6. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    Zmk is a great sleep aid
    Thanks man! I know I'm really enjoying the extra zzzzzzz's and my recovery is kicked into high gear when I can keep my protein up. (I've been a slacker)
  7. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

its actually a plus as its good enough by itself I can give myself a break from taking the l-dopa all the time. I was starting to wonder about the long term effects of taking it daily
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  8. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    its actually a plus as its good enough by itself I can give myself a break from taking the l-dopa all the time. I was starting to wonder about the long term effects of taking it daily

There is some evidence that the dopamine receptors down regulate slighlty with prolonged use due to the pesky negative feedback loop.

I personally like to use L-dopa for no longer than 21 days at a time with a 7 day break in between and I find that it remains very effective when I dose it this way. I find that the ZMK has been very effective for sleep on the 7 days off.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Atkins and Diabetes
    By footster in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-24-2009, 12:12 AM
  2. ZMK and the empty stomach...
    By rxp1997 in forum Millennium Sport Technologies
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-20-2008, 04:56 AM
  3. Testosterone levels and diabetes
    By JanSz in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine