BT Help - Low Iron bith High Hemoglobin

corndog

corndog

Awards
  • Established
I have a history of high hemoglobin. I donate blood which helps keep it under control. I have never had low ferritin or iron until recently. From my understanding is that high hemoglobin and high iron kind of go together. Although my ferritin or iron have never been high my oncologist always asks me if I take any iron pills and to make sure my multi does not contain iron.

In the past it runs:

7/7/07
hgb - 17.8gm/dl (12.5-17)
hct - 51.9% (36-50%)

9/7/07
hgb - 17.3gm/dl (12.5-17)
hct - 51.7% (36-50%)

9/21/07
hgb - 13.0gm/dl (12.5-17)
hct - 41.0% (36-50%)

12/20/07
hgb - 17.0gm/dl (12.5-17)
hct - 51.1% (36-50%)

1/28/08
hgb - 16.0gm/dl (12.5-17)
hct - 50.0% (36-50%)

3/4/08
hct - 50.4% (36-50%)
ferritin - 14ng/ml (24-336)
iron - 88ug/dl (65-175)

5/7/08
hgb - 14.7gm/dl (12.5-17)
hct - 43.2% (36-50%)
ferritin - 10ng/ml (24-336)
iron - 44ug/dl (65-175)

One theory I have is a few months back I started having stomach issues so I started Omeprazole 20mg. A month or so after that my stomach issues became worse so they added sucralfate 1gm 1-3x/day. This stuff really helped. I have read that taking meds to reduce stomach acid can reduce iron levels.

My Dr. did a cat scan or MRI on my stomach/lower ab. which came back negative. I am scheduled to go see a stomach specilist and have my stomach scoped.

My Dr. just told me to start to take iron tabs (325mg with food 2x/day). I think I misunderstood the amount because a male needs around 8mg/day to be at 100%. I will call today to confirm.

Point is I dont really want to start iron tabs because I am scared it will crank up my hemoglobin issue. None of this makes sence unless for whatever reason I all of a sudden my hemoglobin issue is gone.

Note that when my hemoglobin was in normal ranges I had blood removed within a week or so prior to the bt.

I am going to post this on Dr. John sight as well.

Meds
armour - 2g
lisinopril - 20mg
lamictal - 150mg
lexapro - 10mg
clonzapam - 1mcg
test-e - 100mg/week

Supps
L-dex
multi
vit-c 1000mg
fish oil 2000mg
flax oil - 1000mg
creatine

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I have a history of high hemoglobin. I donate blood which helps keep it under control. I have never had low ferritin or iron until recently. From my understanding is that high hemoglobin and high iron kind of go together. Although my ferritin or iron have never been high my oncologist always asks me if I take any iron pills and to make sure my multi does not contain iron.

In the past it runs:

7/7/07
hct - 51.9% (36-50%)

9/7/07
hgb - 17.3gm/dl (12.5-17)
hct - 51.7% (36-50%)

9/21/07
hgb - 13.0gm/dl (12.5-17)
hct - 41.0% (36-50%)

12/20/07
hgb - 17.0gm/dl (12.5-17)
hct - 51.1% (36-50%)

1/28/08
hgb - 16.0gm/dl (12.5-17)
hct - 50.0% (36-50%)

3/4/08
hct - 50.4% (36-50%)
ferritin - 14ng/ml (24-336)
iron - 88ug/dl (65-175)

5/7/08
hgb - 14.7gm/dl (12.5-17)
hct - 43.2% (36-50%)
ferritin - 10ng/ml (24-336)
iron - 44ug/dl (65-175)

One theory I have is a few months back I started having stomach issues so I started Omeprazole 20mg. A month or so after that my stomach issues became worse so they added sucralfate 1gm 1-3x/day. This stuff really helped. I have read that taking meds to reduce stomach acid can reduce iron levels.

My Dr. did a cat scan or MRI on my stomach/lower ab. which came back negative. I am scheduled to go see a stomach specilist and have my stomach scoped.

My Dr. just told me to start to take iron tabs (325mg with food 2x/day). I think I misunderstood the amount because a male needs around 8mg/day to be at 100%. I will call today to confirm.

Point is I dont really want to start iron tabs because I am scared it will crank up my hemoglobin issue. None of this makes sence unless for whatever reason I all of a sudden my hemoglobin issue is gone.

Note that when my hemoglobin was in normal ranges I had blood removed within a week or so prior to the bt.

I am going to post this on Dr. John sight as well.

Meds
armour - 2g
lisinopril - 20mg
lamictal - 150mg
lexapro - 10mg
clonzapam - 1mcg
test-e - 100mg/week

Supps
L-dex
multi
vit-c 1000mg
fish oil 2000mg
flax oil - 1000mg
creatine
If you reduce stomach acids
you are depriving your body from digesting and assimilating nutrients.

Possibly you actually started with low gastric acids and then started using meds to kill all acids all together.
You cannot make a life without assimilating nutrients, dead end.

Read this on using Betaine HCL
TESTOSTERONE NATION

I am using 6 pills with each meal
Country Life Betaine Hydrochloride with Pepsin -- 600 mg - 250 Tablets

Country Life Betaine Hydrochloride with Pepsin -- 600 mg - 250 Tablets - Vitacost

Add to that lots of probiotics and enzymes.
----------------

You may consider Genova Diagnostic testing, plus any additional testing that that test recomends.

Genova Diagnostics
Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis 2.0 (CDSA 2.0/P)

Also,
Gut Immunology
and
NutrEval

If your doc does not have account with Genova,
there is a way to order these tests over internet.
Welcome to Integrative Psychiatry Mental Health Testing and Treatment
Buying test over internet, not sure how you will work on insurance reimbursment.
When I order my Genova tests, my doc have instructions from Genova on how to fill up the forms to satisfy insurance and made them pay. That place answers e-mail, ask them.

You can then discuss the results either with your doc or you can also buy telephone consultation over there.

corndog

corndog

Awards
  • Established
I read allot about using apple cider vinegar and did that last year when I had stomach issues. It seem to work but this time it didnt.

The theory is the same that people reduce the stomach acids needed by taking antacids and scripts for acid then there stomach actually dont have enough acid to work properly.

So by adding the vinegar it creates the acids needed.

A

AnotherOldGuy

Awards
One of the many potential side effects of Prilosec

Hemolytic anemia: Anemia due to the destruction (rather than underproduction) of red blood cells.

corndog

corndog

Awards
  • Established
Sounds about what I was thinking. I started the priloset in Feb/March and that was right about the time my blood test started to change as far as ferritin then iron.

It all started by me feeling tired as hell all the time. Similar to years ago when I was diagnosed with thyroid issues just not as severe.

I dont think I am going to start supplementing with iron pills as the dr. said because I am worried about it messing with my hemoglobin issue. I think I will see if I stop the priloset and just use the sucralfate if my stomach feels ok and maybe my iron and ferritin will go back up

I PLAN TO LOOK AT FERRITIN articles a little more. I read on stop the madness website that ferritin and thyroid issue can go together. That website is pro armour thyroid so I like allot of their info.

Also, my last 2 blood test where my ferritin being low was first noticed showed a drop in TSH and low side of Free T4. So maybe the ferritin/thyroid to play a role together. Stop the priloset and maybe all will go back up