Hypoechoic Nodule on thyroid....anyone heard of that? - AnabolicMinds.com

Hypoechoic Nodule on thyroid....anyone heard of that?

Hypoechoic Nodule on thyroid....anyone heard of that?

I was just diagnosed with a hypoechoic nodule on my thyroid which represents a goiter, this is confirmed by an ultrasound.

Basic research indicates that this may be caused by high tsh production although the test showed my numbers at:

tsh 1.235 range .35 to 5.5...which is odd because test a few months ago showed tsh at 4.0, same scale

t4 1.27 range 0.61 to 1.76

t3 uptake 37% range 24-39

My throat is always sore, I have difficulty swallowing, and my voice is hoarse and weak.

My DRs advice was....of course....do nothing and let it get bigger. I am trying to stop bashing DRs but why on earth would I want to let this keep growing?

Quote Originally Posted by spinn View Post
    I was just diagnosed with a hypoechoic nodule on my thyroid which represents a goiter, this is confirmed by an ultrasound.

Basic research indicates that this may be caused by high tsh production although the test showed my numbers at:

tsh 1.235 range .35 to 5.5...which is odd because test a few months ago showed tsh at 4.0, same scale

My throat is always sore, I have difficulty swallowing, and my voice is hoarse and weak.

My DRs advice was....of course....do nothing and let it get bigger. I am trying to stop bashing DRs but why on earth would I want to let this keep growing?
    Attachment contains:

AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF CLINICAL ENDOCRINOLOGISTS
    AND ASSOCIAZIONE MEDICI ENDOCRINOLOGI
    MEDICAL GUIDELINES FOR CLINICAL PRACTICE FOR THE
    DIAGNOSIS AND MANAGEMENT OF THYROID NODULES
    ============================== =================

http://www.thyroid-info.com/index.htm

Thyroid Cancer, Goiter, Enlarged Thyroid, Nodules and Other Conditions
    http://thyroid.about.com/od/cancergo...Conditions.htm
    ============================== =============
    FIND A TOP DOCTOR: The Thyroid Top Doctors Directory features patient-recommended practitioners around the world. Find a new top doctor now!! (Just Updated September 2007!)

http://www.thyroid-info.com/topdrs/index.htm
    ============================== ===============
    Attached Images Attached Images

Arrow

I think in order to make the best decisions you need to be informed...but more so you need to become an expert in this area.

Here is a VERY good medical reference book written in 2007 called "Surgery of the Thyroid and Parathyroid Glands". Outstanding images and details...it is aimed at the medical community but you need some of this information.

Pay especially close attention to chapter 5 "Evaluation of Thyroid Nodules"

Also do a search within the book using key terms if the text becomes overwhelming and read those areas referencing your search term.

Here is the link to the book (it is a 24MB pdf):

http://rapidshare.com/files/89039735...oid_Glands.rar

Alternative link -> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GXK2D5MA
    •   

Thanks.......I appreciate the effort.

As I assumed, doing nothing is not the right answer.

So I will be getting a new DR....at least insurance paid for the ultrasound.

I think I need to up my armour and hope my TSH will come down.

Quote Originally Posted by spinn View Post

Hypoechoic suggests it's a cyst rather than a goiter.

Hypoechoic suggests it's a cyst rather than a goiter.
    Sorry man, but the above quote is not correct. I've been an ultrasound technologist for 16 yrs. If the nodule were described as "anechoic" it would be considered a cyst. The nodule was describes as hypoechoic which describes a low attenuating solid lesion. Now just because the lesion is solid does not mean it is automatically malignant. Thyroid masses cannot be diagnosed by ultrasound as malignant. If the Dr. is concerned about a malignancy the way they usually confim that diagnosis is by an aspiration of some of the cells of the mass. Also if the mass is diagnosed as a goiter then most dr.s treat with medications rather than remove it. They might do surgery if the mass is causing distortion of the surrounding structures causing problems swallowing. Sorry if this got a little technical. Just wanted to put in my 2cents and ended up rambling.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlantern0 View Post
    Sorry man, but the above quote is not correct. I've been an ultrasound technologist for 16 yrs. If the nodule were described as "anechoic" it would be considered a cyst. The nodule was describes as hypoechoic which describes a low attenuating solid lesion. Now just because the lesion is solid does not mean it is automatically malignant. Thyroid masses cannot be diagnosed by ultrasound as malignant. If the Dr. is concerned about a malignancy the way they usually confim that diagnosis is by an aspiration of some of the cells of the mass. Also if the mass is diagnosed as a goiter then most dr.s treat with medications rather than remove it. They might do surgery if the mass is causing distortion of the surrounding structures causing problems swallowing. Sorry if this got a little technical. Just wanted to put in my 2cents and ended up rambling.

No problem, I am glad you corrected me. Do you do vascular ultrasound at all?

Quote Originally Posted by greenlantern0 View Post
    Ramble on...that was the most helpful advice of all. The diagnosis says they believe it is most likely a goiter.

What medication do they treat it with? Is it thyroid medication?

This DR just wants to ignore it and hope it doesnt get worse. That doesnt work for me.

No problem, I am glad you corrected me. Do you do vascular ultrasound at all?
    Yes, registered in Abnominal, OB/Gyn and peripheral vascular ultrasound. Been doing for 16 yrs (man that makes me feel old).

The diagnosis says they believe it is most likely a goiter.

What medication do they treat it with? Is it thyroid medication?

This DR just wants to ignore it and hope it doesnt get worse. That doesnt work for me.
    If it is a goiter then the Dr. probably won't treat it with meds unless you are hypo or hyperthroid. Lots and Losts of people have nodules in their thyroid gland and don't know it. I don't think they are really that clinically significant unless they are get big enough to cause pain or swallowing problems. Have you told your Dr. that you are having trouble swallowing? I he chooses not to do anything about it you may need a second opinion.

Similar Forum Threads

1. EVER HEARD OF
    By nguyen831 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-13-2009, 11:11 AM
  2. so...anyone over here heard of Max-Out yet?
    By VaughnTrue in forum Supplements
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 08-16-2008, 02:45 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-31-2007, 09:12 PM
  4. Anyone heard of
    By Flippy Ed in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-17-2007, 10:52 PM
  5. Anyone ever heard of this???
    By Lithuanian Bear in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2