29 Year Old, started HCG, high iron also

mircle

Awards
Here's my story as simply as possible regarding my low testosterone and HCG treatment.

I'm 29 and have been to my family doctor, endocrinologist and finally an osteopath. The family doc and endo said they were not concerned with my blood tests since things were mostly normal and within range. The other doctor disagreed feeling that my levels were low or at least borderline for my age. He has experience with HCG treatment and suggested I try this to restore my libido and resolve other symptoms. I have noticed memory issues, concentration problems, irritability, general malaise and diminished libido. My balls are normal size and I assume that means they are functioning. The Osteopath is also suspicious of hemochromatosis, see below.

All Results are LabCorp. and were 8am fasting.

Results: 11/2/07

Testosterone, Serum 345 ng/ dL
Free Testosterone 7.0 pg/mL

Results: 12/11/07

Testosterone, Serum 446 ng/dL
Free Testosterone 11.3 pg/mL

Results: 3/7/08 ~Latest~

Potassium, Serum 3.4 nmol/L

Testosterone 429 ng/dL
Bioavailable Testosterone, S 186 ng/dL
Free Testosterone was not measured this time but calculated to be about 70 pg/mL
SHBG 44 nmol/L

TIBC 316 ug/dL
UIBC 135 ug/dL
Iron, Serum 181 ug/dL
Iron Saturation 57 %

IGF - will follow, not ready yet
DHEA Sulfate, Serum 51 ug/dL
Estradiol 26 pg/mL
Estrone, Serum 28 pg/mL

Cortisol 14 ug/dL
PSA 0.7 ng/mL

LH 2.0 mIU/mL
FSH 3.2 mIU/mL

Thyroxine (T4) 1.36 ng/dL
TSH 1.523 uIU/mL
Magnesium, Serum 2.1 mg/dL
Triiodothyronine, Free, Serum 3.6 pg/mL

I decided I'm not going back to the FP or Endo because as soon as my tests were back they said they couldn't do anything for me and I was normal. Thanks. The Osteo wanted to try HCG and see how that goes. I am also scheduled for periodic phlebotomies to reduce my iron levels. I just gave myself the second injection of the HCG today. The dosage is for 1000USP per week (250, 4 times a week). We'll reassess in 10 weeks. I asked about taking a SERM but he wants to see my response to this alone. Also, Arimidex was not considered because the dosage is low and only 10 weeks duration.

I plan to update this post with any progress including training.

Thanks to all who have posted and contributed to brief someone like me on these things. I felt fairly well informed before I visited any of the doctors and was not nervous. I know this will be resolved and I will start feeling better.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Here's my story as simply as possible regarding my low testosterone and HCG treatment.

I'm 29 and have been to my family doctor, endocrinologist and finally an osteopath. The family doc and endo said they were not concerned with my blood tests since things were mostly normal and within range. The other doctor disagreed feeling that my levels were low or at least borderline for my age. He has experience with HCG treatment and suggested I try this to restore my libido and resolve other symptoms. I have noticed memory issues, concentration problems, irritability, general malaise and diminished libido. My balls are normal size and I assume that means they are functioning. The Osteopath is also suspicious of hemochromatosis, see below.

Testosterone 429 ng/dL
Free Testosterone was not measured this time but calculated to be about 70 pg/mL
SHBG 44 nmol/L

TIBC 316 ug/dL
UIBC 135 ug/dL
Iron, Serum 181 ug/dL
Iron Saturation 57 %

Estradiol 26 pg/mL
Estrone, Serum 28 pg/mL

Cortisol 14 ug/dL
PSA 0.7 ng/mL

LH 2.0 mIU/mL
FSH 3.2 mIU/mL

TSH 1.523 uIU/mL

I decided I'm not going back to the FP or Endo because as soon as my tests were back they said they couldn't do anything for me and I was normal. Thanks. The Osteo wanted to try HCG and see how that goes. I am also scheduled for periodic phlebotomies to reduce my iron levels. I just gave myself the second injection of the HCG today. The dosage is for 1000USP per week (250, 4 times a week). We'll reassess in 10 weeks. I asked about taking a SERM but he wants to see my response to this alone. Also, Arimidex was not considered because the dosage is low and only 10 weeks duration.

Thanks to all who have posted and contributed to brief someone like me on these things. I felt fairly well informed before I visited any of the doctors and was not nervous. I know this will be resolved and I will start feeling better.
We need ranges for labs this tells me nothing

mircle

Awards
I will have to get a copy of my labs at home and I will post them.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established

Testosterone 429 ng/dL
SHBG 44 nmol/L

TIBC 316 ug/dL
UIBC 135 ug/dL
Iron, Serum 181 ug/dL
Iron Saturation 57 %

Estradiol 26 pg/mL
Estrone, Serum 28 pg/mL

Cortisol 14 ug/dL
PSA 0.7 ng/mL

LH 2.0 mIU/mL
FSH 3.2 mIU/mL

TSH 1.523 uIU/mL

Assume
FreeT3=3.6 (2.3-4.2)
=(3.6-2.3)/(4.2-2.3)=0.68
your FreeT3 is not the greatest but is good enough at least for now.
-------------
use 50mg/day to up to 100mg/day DHEA pills

Eventually get closer look at your adrenals.
-------------
Estradiol 26 pg/mL
Estrone, Serum 28 pg/mL

Make sure you have a "ultrasensitive" test next time.
For now it looks ok, but it will raise after HCG use and hopefully T raise, so have Arimidex or equivalent ready if need arise.
And remember that too high E2 "eats" your testosterone.
Another reason to keep E2 just right.
---------------
Testosterone 429 ng/dL
SHBG 44 nmol/L

I would try to forget SERMS, you are not planning to use them for life.
Excellent idea to start with HCG.
Try to convince doctor to use
750iu EOD, every other day.
Eventually you will stay on that dose for life or reduce to
500iu EOD for life.

Assuming successs in raising TotalT, that will get you only so far. Your very high SHBG will be in a way of further progress.
But using HCG first will make sure that you are using your testsis fully.
Latter on either your SHBG will go down (slowly)
or
you will use T injections
or
you will do more testing, find other items that need help.

NutrEval test from Genova would be a priceless to sort this out.
------------------------------------------------------

mircle

Awards
First off, I was hoping that ideally the HCG would kind of restart my system to produce more Testosterone. Is this realistic?

I am discussing these changes you've mentioned with my doctor tomorrow. I plan to get the DHEA and Arimidex and possibly Danazol? I just read a study that showed Danazol did help to reduce SHBG in all 7 of the men tested.

He wants to discuss Adrenal testing and timing for that.

I can't find Genova NutraEval anywhere. Any more information would be great.
Thanks

mircle

Awards
Nevermind, I found it at gdx.net

I'm gonna mention it to the doctor and see what else I can test too. The allergy testing looks very interesting.

mircle

Awards
I am about to get some Arimidex and Danazol. Is there any reason to avoid the combination? I am hoping to avoid any Estradiol problems with my HCG treatment and lower SHBG.

Will Arimidex lower SHBG?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I am about to get some Arimidex and Danazol. Is there any reason to avoid the combination? I am hoping to avoid any Estradiol problems with my HCG treatment and lower SHBG.

Are you getting these with out prescription? I would not recommend commencing using these without notifying your physcian and being monitored. Self treatment is not highly recommened and needs to be properly monitored

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established

High or low SHBG levels are signs of underlying problem.
There may be many different problems that affect SHBG level.

SHBG is not a problem by itself.

At the moment I do not have anything better than

NutrEval
test at Genova Diagnostics
to accomplish fishing for possible problems.

NutrEval is not a one test
it is a set of logically compiled tests.

To above add their

Comprehensive Thyroid Assesment.

mircle

Awards
When I said I was about to get I meant I was about to discuss these with my Doctor. I have discussed them but also discussed the tests that JanSz suggested. I will continue the HCG injections but I will get those tests back before taking anything else.