People with low shbg

1. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.78%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

People with low shbg

For people with low SHBG EAT MORE FIBER AND REDUCE YOUR FAT INTAKE A BIT !!

Think about it if one eats alot of fiber then insulin levels would be reduce and this would cause an increase in shbg resulting in a decrease of cholesterol production as well as EFA absorption as well. Vegetarian diets are known to be low fat high fiber resulting in more production of shbg vs ominvors.

For people that may want to lower there shbg examine ones fiber intake in relationship to fat content and you may see a correlation. With just the few people I asked there shbg basically corrleates with there fiber intake. I take 35 grams of fiber a day even a little more but I eat a lean protein diet with little fat added in. The fiber is most likely binding with what little fat I ate causing an EFA defiency which has been apparent in many labs. Now since increasing my bean intake my hdl actuall dropped even more. So to increase shbg eat more beans and legumes and flaxseeds, veggies and lower your fat intake a bit and then retest in 3-4 weeks to see if there is a significant difference. This just dawned on me and reason why i have e2 problems because my e2 was 17 which should be feeling awesom, but basically I had all the signs of low e2 thats because my shbg was 38 which requires more then normal estrogen to be present to be bioavailable. This also means my t levels have to be alot higher to get same results as some one with lower shbg. Now i am going to cut back on fiber to 20 grams a day and eat more fatty foods and see if there was a change. My shbg did not change untill I went on this higher fiber diet. I may also add in some udos choice as well 1 -2 TBSP a day but keep carbs mainly to lower fiber foods vs rice bran. Fiber can also not only bind fat, choelsterol, minreal, vitamins, but also protein as well.. THis type of eating pattern may also explain why my cortisol and thyroid medicines are not absorbing properly as well as i am just pissing them out !!

Influence of diet on plasma steroids and sex hormone-binding globulin levels in adult men.

http://journals.cambridge.org/downlo...98fcc5c0bfb3b2

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  176 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.42%

hardasnails,

I would definately agree with your theory. However, in practice, I have not seen this to work. I have always had very low SHBG, and my diet has always been VERY high in fiber. We're talking 4-5 cups of vegetables per day, plus a little oatmeal, and some fiber powder -- I aim for 40-60g of fiber per day.

I can say confidently that after being on a high (40-60g) fiber diet, I still have very low SHBG (1 unit above lowest end of normal range.)
  3. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by JamieVegas View Post
    hardasnails,

I would definately agree with your theory. However, in practice, I have not seen this to work. I have always had very low SHBG, and my diet has always been VERY high in fiber. We're talking 4-5 cups of vegetables per day, plus a little oatmeal, and some fiber powder -- I aim for 40-60g of fiber per day.

I can say confidently that after being on a high (40-60g) fiber diet, I still have very low SHBG (1 unit above lowest end of normal range.)
    If you are eating 5,000 caloires off course your are not going to drop SHBG, For a normal persons intake it has shown to work ..It all in relation ship to caloires, 40-60 grams you are most likely mineral defieint since fiber binds fats, and nutrients
    4-5 cups of veggies = about 15 grams of fiber LOL oatmeal is 10 grams per cup dry i bet you are barely getting about 30 grams. If you eat you veggies cooked fiber is reduced then if raw.
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  176 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.42%

Quote Originally Posted by The Matrix View Post
    If you are eating 5,000 caloires off course your are not going to drop SHBG, For a normal persons intake it has shown to work ..It all in relation ship to caloires, 40-60 grams you are most likely mineral defieint since fiber binds fats, and nutrients
    4-5 cups of veggies = about 15 grams of fiber LOL oatmeal is 10 grams per cup dry i bet you are barely getting about 30 grams. If you eat you veggies cooked fiber is reduced then if raw.

My diet is around 2,500 calories. I know that vegetables are low in fiber, but like I said -- I take fiber supplements, and the vegetables are always eaten raw. I do also eat oatmeal, and often an avocado a day, and beans as well. So, it does truly work out to about 40. Regarding minerals, I supplement with trace minerals, bee pollen, and ground up dulse flakes.

What I'm saying is this:

- Yes, a POOR diet can cause decreased SHBG (one lacking in fiber, and heavy in fat/carbs.)

- However, if low SHBG caused by some other factor, and exists even without a poor diet, then dietary changes are not going to fix it.

Think about it this way -- a fat-free diet, or a diet very low in fat is going to lower testosterone, right? But, that doesn't mean you can jump into threads on a messageboard full of guys with low testosterone and say, "EAT MORE FATS!! THAT'S THE CURE!! I'm gonna see if eating no fat at all lowers my testosterone, and if it does -- then that's the cause of everyone's problems!!"

Similar Forum Threads

1. 37 with High SHBG- Low Total Free T
    By tiporp in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-04-2010, 04:43 PM
  2. Replies: 46
    Last Post: 08-06-2007, 10:59 PM
  3. oK TO TAKE ph'S WITH LOW TEST LEVELS???
    By JordyRoc in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-20-2005, 09:21 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-02-2003, 10:25 PM
  5. people with no sense of humor
    By pudgy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-26-2003, 09:53 PM