Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

article on shbg and diet AKA fiber plays a huge role

2. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.2%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I found this line interesting:
    Vegetarians consuming about 50 grams of fiber a day excrete in stool samples approximately twice as much estrone,
    estradiol-17 b and testosterone compared to omnivores consuming 20 grams of fiber a day.2

so fiber might not be bad to get rid of bad estrogens, but might impact test too? YEt for those of us on HRT (maybe because of estrogen imbalances)..and thus 'supported', who have normal shbg, fiber might be a good thing.

speaking of which...how much fiber soluble/insoluble you have these days HAN? I usually have some benefiber with breakfast and dinner (like half or 1/3 serving) plus my rice bran because of soluble fibers help in constipation as well as IBS issues. Plus I have some oatmeal with lunch...usually.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.88%

Here is the source for the fiber information which is cited in your article.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/reprint/42/1/127

Interesting to look at the cholesterol consumption of the vegetarians vs. non vegetarians. There's a correlation there.

Possibly the fiber reduces cholesterol absorption and that's part of it..
    •   

4. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.72%

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLA View Post
    Here is the source for the fiber information which is cited in your article.

Dietary and hormonal interrelationships among vegetarian Seventh-Day Adventists and nonvegetarian men -- Howie and Shultz 42 (1): 127 -- American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

Interesting to look at the cholesterol consumption of the vegetarians vs. non vegetarians. There's a correlation there.

Possibly the fiber reduces cholesterol absorption and that's part of it..
    Bingo!!
    Fiber binds with cholestrol as well as binds up fats possible causing EFA defieincy. I looked at all variables and that increase shbg and only one I have come up with is low insulin levels due to high fiber intake. Also beans contains lignands which I eat alot of 10 grams of fiber a day. I'm hitting about 30-40 grams of fiber a day easily and article mentions that 100 grams fat increase and lower the fiber to 20 grams a day caused a significant decrease in shbg. I not eating alot of fat like I should and may be the fiber is binding with what little fat I am eating and not being absorbed..It also mentioned that estrogens increase shbg but 64 million dollar question is will also estrogen metabolites do same thing. I have found reference to that altered metabolites cause estrogen domainace which in my case would put stress on adrenals and thyroid as indicated..So with shbg of 39 and e2 of 17 this caused an low free e2 and evidentible an e2 defiency hence altered homocysteine levels because of it. As e2 increased homocystiene levels increased and LP(A) droppde by over 40% HOW INTERESTING !!

By having low free e2 this would cause a decrease in serotonin and gaba levels as well as hypomethylation, imparing iodine uptake into thyroid as well as choline to produce acetylcholine. The lower estrogen levels would cause excessive stress to thyroid and adrenals and force more t4 to convert to t3. So with out proper e2 levels serotonin or 5hiaa metabolite (by product of serotonin metabolism ) would be low or like mine non existant, but the serotonin whole blood was perfect but it was just not turnuing over in the brain due to lack of e2 or build up of estrogen metabolism clogging the e2 receptors.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.88%

The study covers cholesterol intake not (unfortunately) cholesterol levels.

This is a subtle point, but we're hypothesizing that the fiber intake reduces cholesterol which reduces hormones. We know that oat bran reduces cholesterol, so this hypothesis is probably at least partly true. However is it responsible for all of the differences in T that we see in the study?

It also could be that the cholesterol intake in food is responsible for some (or most? or all?) of the T difference. The NV group ate about double the cholesterol of the vegetarian group.

In other words, it's not clear to me that eating less fiber is the route to more T. It may be that eating more cholesterol is the answer, or perhaps it's both.

Maybe for you, eating less fiber AND more cholesterol would be the way to go?

Mark
  6. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.66%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Why the dichotomy of either low-fat, high fiber or High-fat, low-fiber?

What about high-fat, high fiber?
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  7. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    83.72%

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLA View Post
    The study covers cholesterol intake not (unfortunately) cholesterol levels.

This is a subtle point, but we're hypothesizing that the fiber intake reduces cholesterol which reduces hormones. We know that oat bran reduces cholesterol, so this hypothesis is probably at least partly true. However is it responsible for all of the differences in T that we see in the study?

It also could be that the cholesterol intake in food is responsible for some (or most? or all?) of the T difference. The NV group ate about double the cholesterol of the vegetarian group.

In other words, it's not clear to me that eating less fiber is the route to more T. It may be that eating more cholesterol is the answer, or perhaps it's both.

Maybe for you, eating less fiber AND more cholesterol would be the way to go?

Mark
    Consider my shbg is high and fiber significant affects it plus all the beans ans legumes I eat contains lignands which increase shbg. I tihnk more so it not the cholesterol that is binding but more so the fat causing hormonal problems. I eat 4 whole organic eggs a day and was told flax seed oils is bad som I stay away from it because of certain reason, but in mean time I need my EFA in proper balance which i have not been getting as indicated on my RC fatty acid test. It may be that low e2 was affecting bile out put and affecting fat metabolism. I do not know. All I know is that My shbg was 20 and now its almost 40 and onyl thing I change was stoping fish oil and fish for 9 months due to EFA imbalances. In mean time my 16/2 ratio is way out of wack probably because of this.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    19.81%

Quote Originally Posted by hardasnails1973 View Post
    Bingo!!
    Fiber binds with cholestrol as well as binds up fats possible causing EFA defieincy. I looked at all variables and that increase shbg and only one I have come up with is low insulin levels due to high fiber intake. Also beans contains lignands which I eat alot of 10 grams of fiber a day. I'm hitting about 30-40 grams of fiber a day easily and article mentions that 100 grams fat increase and lower the fiber to 20 grams a day caused a significant decrease in shbg. I not eating alot of fat like I should and may be the fiber is binding with what little fat I am eating and not being absorbed..It also mentioned that estrogens increase shbg but 64 million dollar question is will also estrogen metabolites do same thing. I have found reference to that altered metabolites cause estrogen domainace which in my case would put stress on adrenals and thyroid as indicated..So with shbg of 39 and e2 of 17 this caused an low free e2 and evidentible an e2 defiency hence altered homocysteine levels because of it. As e2 increased homocystiene levels increased and LP(A) droppde by over 40% HOW INTERESTING !!

By having low free e2 this would cause a decrease in serotonin and gaba levels as well as hypomethylation, imparing iodine uptake into thyroid as well as choline to produce acetylcholine. The lower estrogen levels would cause excessive stress to thyroid and adrenals and force more t4 to convert to t3. So with out proper e2 levels serotonin or 5hiaa metabolite (by product of serotonin metabolism ) would be low or like mine non existant, but the serotonin whole blood was perfect but it was just not turnuing over in the brain due to lack of e2 or build up of estrogen metabolism clogging the e2 receptors.
    What the?? Can somebody explain the second paragraph to me??
  9. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by GOTSPEED View Post
    What the?? Can somebody explain the second paragraph to me??
    Lamen's term
    Estrogen defieincy can stress thyroid and adrenal function
    It also can lower your neurotransmitters turn over.
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.

Similar Forum Threads

1. The Leangains article on alcohol and fat loss.
    By jumpshot903 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-16-2012, 11:52 AM
  2. Article on the Anabolic Diet
    By R1balla in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-19-2011, 11:55 PM
  3. Advise on Excersizing and Diet
    By aznremix416 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-21-2011, 11:29 PM
  4. Replies: 29