Thyroid performance

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.57%

Thyroid performance

Just had my thyroid tested again, and my TSH went up to 4.1, while my T3 Free measured 3.6 and T4 was 7. My T3 and T4 were very similar to previous results...but TSH went up 1.5 pts.

While I have observed definitive improvements as a result of test, hcg, & arimidex , I still have room for improvement and I suspect my thyroid is the next target to address.

For you thyroid experts out there, do these lab measurements point to an obvious case of hypothyroidism? I would say that I have some of the subclinical symptoms associated with hypothyroidism.

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.73%

Quote Originally Posted by rightship3 View Post
    Just had my thyroid tested again, and my TSH went up to 4.1, while my T3 Free measured 3.6 and T4 was 7. My T3 and T4 were very similar to previous results...but TSH went up 1.5 pts.

While I have observed definitive improvements as a result of test, hcg, & arimidex , I still have room for improvement and I suspect my thyroid is the next target to address.

For you thyroid experts out there, do these lab measurements point to an obvious case of hypothyroidism? I would say that I have some of the subclinical symptoms associated with hypothyroidism.
    The experts are going to need your ranges for your bloodwork.

Check this link out. It is the Thyroid Bible.

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.57%

Quote Originally Posted by Joejoebaggins View Post
    The experts are going to need your ranges for your bloodwork.

Check this link out. It is the Thyroid Bible.

Stop The Thyroid Madness Index Page
    Good point. Here they are with my corresponding scores. According to Life Extension Foundation, TSH above 2 is cause for concern especially if other symptoms are evident.

TSH Range (.35-5.5) 4.1
    T4 Range (4.5-12) 7
    T3 Free Range (2.3-4.2) 3.6
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.75%
    Achievements Posting Pro

My bet is adrenal issues....Normally, since free t3 is the active hormone, if your free t3 is good, then your not hypo. You can have a TSH of O, a free t4 of O (ie...being on straight t3 rather than armour) and feel fine if your free t3 is normal.

Yet in your case, your body is telling you to make more thyroid hormones (high TSH). One cause could be that you have antibodies damaging your thyroid...you need to have THAT checked first. Also, you probably could have the pituitary looked at if it has not been done so far.

Yet my hunch, is that the free t3 is normalish because its pooling in your blood and not getting into the cells. Thus, the labs 'say' your free t3 is ok, but its in the blood and not cells, thus your still hypo. Some of us worse off adrenal cases have it even worse where they are hypo/hyper at the same time.

Also, why is the t4 not free but total t4 (or at least thats what im assuming the t4 test was). Seems your doc is a little off in my book.
  5. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.75%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Good point. Here they are with my corresponding scores. According to Life Extension Foundation, TSH above 2 is cause for concern especially if other symptoms are evident.

TSH Range (.35-5.5) 4.1
    T4 Range (4.5-12) 7
    T3 Free Range (2.3-4.2) 3.6
    also...the tsh range is now .35-2.5, its no longer to 5. That has been changed in the last couple of years.
  6. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.08%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyo View Post
    also...the tsh range is now .35-2.5, its no longer to 5. That has been changed in the last couple of years.
    explain this fukec up reading
    ft4 .8 .8-1,8
    ft3 333 (230-420)
    e2 73 (13-54)
    reverse t3 21- (10-30 )

could the estrodial even with 1 grain of armour thyroid and 25 mcgs of t-3 be causing the t-4 to drop.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.57%

My bet is adrenal issues....Normally, since free t3 is the active hormone, if your free t3 is good, then your not hypo. You can have a TSH of O, a free t4 of O (ie...being on straight t3 rather than armour) and feel fine if your free t3 is normal.

Yet in your case, your body is telling you to make more thyroid hormones (high TSH). One cause could be that you have antibodies damaging your thyroid...you need to have THAT checked first. Also, you probably could have the pituitary looked at if it has not been done so far.

Yet my hunch, is that the free t3 is normalish because its pooling in your blood and not getting into the cells. Thus, the labs 'say' your free t3 is ok, but its in the blood and not cells, thus your still hypo. Some of us worse off adrenal cases have it even worse where they are hypo/hyper at the same time.

Also, why is the t4 not free but total t4 (or at least thats what im assuming the t4 test was). Seems your doc is a little off in my book.
    T3 was 'Free'

I did have the Antithyroglobulin Ab test run also. It came back as follows: <20 with a range of 0-40

Interesting you bring up adrenals, because my cortisol during this test was 21.6 on a scale of 3.1-22.4. This is the highest it has ever been. Everything I search for related to high cortisol points to cushings disease...
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.57%

Duly noted: that is just what Labcorp uses. Everything I have read from LEF and Stopthethyroidmadness is in line with your range.
  9. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.08%

T3 was 'Free'

I did have the Antithyroglobulin Ab test run also. It came back as follows: <20 with a range of 0-40

Interesting you bring up adrenals, because my cortisol during this test was 21.6 on a scale of 3.1-22.4. This is the highest it has ever been. Everything I search for related to high cortisol points to cushings disease...
    cortisol is in normal range and is actually a good thing check free cortisol reading is the main thing.Just like testosteron estrodial, cortisol and thyroid are now falling into same catagory
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.57%

Quote Originally Posted by hardasnails1973 View Post
    cortisol is in normal range and is actually a good thing check free cortisol reading is the main thing.Just like testosteron estrodial, cortisol and thyroid are now falling into same catagory
    HAN, why do you say cortisol at this level is a good thing?
  11. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    84.08%

HAN, why do you say cortisol at this level is a good thing?
    Some drs like to see highest cortisol in the morning 21-25 range, but one can have high serum but low free levels which can have similar effects as high total testosterone and low free levels.Why urine may be a better indicator because some people tend to burn up cortisol fasters then other and also dealing with estrogen issues they may be blocking receptors at cellular level..
  12. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.51%

Some drs like to see highest cortisol in the morning 21-25 range, but one can have high serum but low free levels which can have similar effects as high total testosterone and low free levels.Why urine may be a better indicator because some people tend to burn up cortisol fasters then other and also dealing with estrogen issues they may be blocking receptors at cellular level..
    There is number of tests at Quest that check for
    FreeCortisol

• Cortisol, Free & Cortisone, 24-Hour Urine (37355X) - (89771N)
    Cortisol, Free and Total, LC/MS/MS (37077X) - (3350N)
    • CORTISOL, FREE, 12-HOUR URINE - (330)
    • Cortisol, Free, 24-Hour Urine LC/MS/MS - (11280X)
    • Cortisol, Free, LC/MS/MS (36423X) - (21469P)

This one looks similar to the good Testosterone test.
    What say you?
    Woud this be a better test for Cortisol, rather than the usual AM/PM blood or four points saliva?

Cortisol, Free and Total, LC/MS/MS (37077X) - (3350N)
    Quest Diagnostics: Test Menu
    ===========
    Cortisol, Total, LC/MS/MS mcg/dL
    Adult Reference Ranges for Cortisol, Total,
    LC/MS/MS:

Males and Females 8-10 AM 5-21 mcg/dL
    4-6 PM 2-14 mcg/dL
    ============
    Cortisol, Free, LC/MS/MS mcg/dL
    Adult Reference Ranges for Cortisol, Free,
    LC/MS/MS:

8:00 - 10:00 AM 0.07-0.93 mcg/dL
    4:00 - 6:00 PM 0.04-0.45 mcg/dL
    10:00 - 11:00 PM 0.04-0.35 mcg/dL
    ==============
  13. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.57%

Thanks for the explanation....much appreciated.
  14. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.75%
    Achievements Posting Pro

explain this fukec up reading
    ft4 .8 .8-1,8
    ft3 333 (230-420)
    e2 73 (13-54)
    reverse t3 21- (10-30 )

could the estrodial even with 1 grain of armour thyroid and 25 mcgs of t-3 be causing the t-4 to drop.

well the high e2 is definetly not helping things (especially when you consider how much more frequent women have thyroid and adrenal issues than men). The reverse t3 does not seem to be too problematic, although it is higher than prefered.

Your free t3 and free t4 are definetly low....Im not sure if even the free t4 is dropping since im not sure of your previous values.

Similar Forum Threads

1. thyroid boosters
    By primal1 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 05-21-2009, 09:46 PM
  2. Exercises for sport performance
    By bigbadboss101 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-16-2007, 04:09 PM
  3. The Thyroid Handbook
    By YellowJacket in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 11