HCG vs Clomid for TRT

  1. New Member
    Pace2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    95
    Rep Power
    182
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    54.3%

    HCG vs Clomid for TRT


    I just got back from the Urologist to discuss going back on TRT. As a reminder, I was on Androgel, which made me infertile, went off Androgel, and now my wife is pregant but I feel like crap. Total T is now only 266, 9 months after stopping androgel.

    He suggested, and I concur, not to start T replacement yet, until my wife is further along on the pregnancy, but agreed that clomid or HCG would be a good start to at least getting the levels up again. Bioavailable T test is being done.

    My question is: He strongly prefers clomid at 25 mg because he says it has less side effects and costs alot less. He was less comfortable with HCG. From reading the boards here, it certainly seems like the consensus is HCG. Why? I think he will do what I prefer, but I need reasons.

  2. New Member
    Pace2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    95
    Rep Power
    182
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    54.3%

    Jansz, plymouth city any help here?
  3. Professional Member
    JanSz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,631
    Rep Power
    2417
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    61.67%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Pace2 View Post
    I just got back from the Urologist to discuss going back on TRT. As a reminder, I was on Androgel, which made me infertile, went off Androgel, and now my wife is pregant but I feel like crap. Total T is now only 266, 9 months after stopping androgel.

    He suggested, and I concur, not to start T replacement yet, until my wife is further along on the pregnancy, but agreed that clomid or HCG would be a good start to at least getting the levels up again. Bioavailable T test is being done.

    My question is: He strongly prefers clomid at 25 mg because he says it has less side effects and costs alot less. He was less comfortable with HCG. From reading the boards here, it certainly seems like the consensus is HCG. Why? I think he will do what I prefer, but I need reasons.

    Gray area.
    Clomid may be good, but people fear side effects, ie vison problems.
    Supposedly the amount of Clomid used in your case may be considered a small ( ie. hopefully no side effects).

    I have one member PM-ing me, dr Shippen is rather succesfully using Clomid to raise his TotalT, and he did not complained about vission problems. His FreeT=200, (envy).

    We here, are usually use HCG to keep testicles size and production.
    You should also be fertile while on HCG.
    In case of fertility problem while on HCG, HMG could be added 75iu/day (big $$$).
    ===================
    You do not need to stop Androgel for fertility reasons.
    Just add HCG.
    250iu/E2D every other day.
    ===================
    If you go Clomid route, there is a chance that you may stay on Clomid (forewer) and no Androgel or other external T.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    corndog's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    45
    Posts
    399
    Rep Power
    290
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    4.32%

    Is HcG the only thing that keeps you balls working and from shrinking?
  5. plymouth city's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,299
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    89.67%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by corndog View Post
    Is HcG the only thing that keeps you balls working and from shrinking?
    I am not a fan of clomid.

    Clomid is a stone age way to keep testical production during a cycle/HRT.

    hcG is a much more effective way.

    To Pace -
    Age?
    Bloodwork pre androgel?
  6. New Member
    corndog's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    45
    Posts
    399
    Rep Power
    290
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    4.32%

    I realise HcG is the way to go but difficult getting Dr. to buy into this. I understand I can get HcG but I am not a big fan of self medicating.

    As both you and JanSz had replied to many of my postings I was just looking for a alternative to HcG until the time comes where I get my Dr. on board. I just switched Dr. because my previous ones (family practice and urologist) were not aggressive with dealing with my low test, 171. Also, it took years to convince my Dr. to switch me to Armour thus I switched to a new Dr.

    He is just trying to solve one issue at a time and I hope will get to the point of a complete TRT program. Right now he is glad my sex life has gettin better and my depression is better but dam I am mean and angry all the time.
  7. plymouth city's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,299
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    89.67%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Corn
    post complete BW and what drugs you are currently on.

    The best OTC source for LH would be resveratrol.
  8. New Member
    corndog's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    45
    Posts
    399
    Rep Power
    290
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    4.32%

    MEDS

    Test-e 100mg/e3d
    Armour 2g
    Lamictal 300mg (bi-polar)
    Wellbutrin 200mg (depression)
    Lisinopril 20mg (high BP)
    Klonopin .2mg (help with sleeping)
    Aspirin 325mg (High hemoglobin)

    BIO TEST 899 (was 171 in july)
    FREE T 34.9 (was 7.1 is july)
    DHT - NEVER TESTED
    E2 66
    SHGB 22.8
    PROLATIN (6.76 in july, not tested last time)
    TSH .89
    T4 .90
    T3 (just had BT, will have # friday) Dr. said all good, left med as is
    Triglyserides 120
    HDL 49
    LDL 138
    CHD RISK 4.3
    ALBIMUM 4.5
    PSA .31
    FSH .21
    LH .20
    WBC 6.10
    RBC 5.4
    HGB 17.8 (Just had phlebotomy done, I get this test every 2 weeks
    HCT 51.9
    MCV 96
    MCHC 34.2
    RDW 14.2
    PLT 233
    PMN 3.8
    LYM 1.40
    MONO .5
    EOS .3
  9. Professional Member
    JanSz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,631
    Rep Power
    2417
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    61.67%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by corndog View Post
    MEDS

    Test-e 100mg/e3d
    Armour 2g
    Lamictal 300mg (bi-polar)
    Wellbutrin 200mg (depression)
    Lisinopril 20mg (high BP)
    Klonopin .2mg (help with sleeping)
    Aspirin 325mg (High hemoglobin)

    BIO TEST 899 (was 171 in july)
    FREE T 34.9 (was 7.1 is july)
    DHT - NEVER TESTED
    E2 66
    SHGB 22.8
    PROLATIN (6.76 in july, not tested last time)
    TSH .89
    T4 .90
    T3 (just had BT, will have # friday) Dr. said all good, left med as is
    Triglyserides 120
    HDL 49
    LDL 138
    CHD RISK 4.3
    ALBIMUM 4.5
    PSA .31
    FSH .21
    LH .20
    WBC 6.10
    RBC 5.4
    HGB 17.8 (Just had phlebotomy done, I get this test every 2 weeks
    HCT 51.9
    MCV 96
    MCHC 34.2
    RDW 14.2
    PLT 233
    PMN 3.8
    LYM 1.40
    MONO .5
    EOS .3
    Repost or edit your test results, post name, value, units, range, name of laboratory.

    Test-e 100mg/e3d
    are you doing shots, one shot every three days, each shot size 100mg ???
    or
    100mg/week on E3D schedule??

    Or something else.

    Get
    FreeT3
    FreeT4
    Total Testosterone
  10. New Member
    corndog's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    45
    Posts
    399
    Rep Power
    290
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    4.32%

    total test 899ng/dl (300 - 1200)
    free test 34.7pg/ml (8/7 - 25)e
    Dont have the units for thyroid. The results shown didnt include T3 or reverse t3. I had a complete panel done and I get a copy of the numbers tomorrow.

    TSH .89 .34 - 5.6) units I will look up
    T4 .90 (.6 - 1.1)
    T3 not test at this time,

    I take 100mg of test-e per week divied into E3D. So some weeks I actualy have 3 shots and the next usually works out to only 2 shots that week. I divided the 100mg/week into e3d.

    My labs are taken a my local hospital.
  11. New Member
    Pace2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    95
    Rep Power
    182
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    54.3%

    Thanks for the help.

    I'm 40 years old--I don't have a copy of the pre-androgel blood tests, but I believe total T was in the 300's, LH was low, FSH was okay, Estrogen was ok. I was treated for low thyroid with synthroid, but it really made no change in levels. I'm seeing a new doctor who is very knowledgeable but is only testing for total test and free test, although we had baselines on LH and FSH before. What other blood tests (within reason--I don't want to freak him out) should I ask for? Just Dr. John's recommendations?
  12. Professional Member
    JanSz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,631
    Rep Power
    2417
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    61.67%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Pace2 View Post
    Thanks for the help.

    I'm 40 years old--I don't have a copy of the pre-androgel blood tests, but I believe total T was in the 300's, LH was low, FSH was okay, Estrogen was ok. I was treated for low thyroid with synthroid, but it really made no change in levels. I'm seeing a new doctor who is very knowledgeable but is only testing for total test and free test, although we had baselines on LH and FSH before. What other blood tests (within reason--I don't want to freak him out) should I ask for? Just Dr. John's recommendations?
    The more you know the better help you can get.

    Post #44
    Jan's BloodTest April13/2007
  13. New Member
    MarkLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    194
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    24.24%

    Quote Originally Posted by plymouth city View Post
    Corn
    post complete BW and what drugs you are currently on.

    The best OTC source for LH would be resveratrol.
    Plymouth, I'm interested in how resveratrol works with LH. I found this article. Do you have more?

    http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/135/4/757

    Thanks,
    Mark
  14. plymouth city's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,299
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    89.67%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    "Lamictal 300mg (bi-polar)
    Wellbutrin 200mg (depression)
    Lisinopril 20mg (high BP)
    Klonopin .2mg (help with sleeping)"

    Its no wonder you ended up on TRT.

    All 4 of those drugs above, with lamictal and klonopin in particular, wreck havoc on the androgenic hormones of the body.

    I speculate klonopin may also blunt GH release during sleep - as pretty much all prescription sleep aids do this, as a rule
  15. New Member
    kieroneil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    20
    Rep Power
    101
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    18.69%

    Clomid + HCG


    Quote Originally Posted by plymouth city View Post
    I am not a fan of clomid.

    Clomid is a stone age way to keep testical production during a cycle/HRT.

    hcG is a much more effective way.
    Interesting. My doctor has me on 51mg of Clomid AND HCG in my off-cycle.

    Is he just covering all the bases?
  16. New Member
    corndog's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    45
    Posts
    399
    Rep Power
    290
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    4.32%

    I'm gonna switch to benedril i think for sleep. One of the problems I have with head meds is that you take one pill for depression and it gives you sides so you need another. It a never ending cycle.

    Example, Klonopin is great for relaxing you and in my case getting my brain to slow down and relax so I can sleep. Get this, one of its side effects. Can cause depression
  17. plymouth city's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,299
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    89.67%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by kieroneil View Post
    Interesting. My doctor has me on 51mg of Clomid AND HCG in my off-cycle.

    Is he just covering all the bases?
    Thats a whopping dose of clomid.

    I don't see any reason why one would ever need to go over 25mg.
  18. plymouth city's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,299
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    89.67%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by plymouth city View Post
    "Lamictal 300mg (bi-polar)
    Wellbutrin 200mg (depression)
    Lisinopril 20mg (high BP)
    Klonopin .2mg (help with sleeping)"

    Its no wonder you ended up on TRT.

    All 4 of those drugs above, with lamictal and klonopin in particular, wreck havoc on the androgenic hormones of the body.

    I speculate klonopin may also blunt GH release during sleep - as pretty much all prescription sleep aids do this, as a rule
    Some more to add.

    Did a little more research on lisinopril via lef and other medical textbooks.

    Like all BP meds, they are especially harsh on the liver. They are known to clog up the liver. Guess what else does this? Aspirin

    Guess what happens to your liver? It loses its ability to clear estrogen from the body.

    BP meds and aspirin = estrogenic. The facts are pretty clear.

    I have noticed your E2 level is pretty bad.
  19. Advanced Member
    rick055's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    567
    Rep Power
    374
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    32.67%

    Quote Originally Posted by corndog View Post
    I'm gonna switch to benedril i think for sleep.
    corndog, I'd be interested to hear what others have to say about it's safety, but I just started taking melatonin (3 mg) at night (in addition to my ZMA) to help sleep and it's unreal.

    It almost feels like a mild xanax to me and the worst "side effect" I've had is a really mild headache in the morning (it's almost not even a real headache, if that makes sense) which goes away after my first cup of java.

    I usually toss and turn and I now wake up mostly not even remembering sleeping.

    Might be worth a shot.

    As far as benadryl goes, it can sure put you to sleep, but it left me a little groggy in the a.m., although it's not the worst side in the world, either.

    Hydroxyzine, another antihistamine, might be something to look at as well since it can help anxiety, too.

    Good luck and hang in there!!!
  20. New Member
    bem9127's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    95
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    13.5%

    Quote Originally Posted by corndog View Post
    I'm gonna switch to benedril i think for sleep. One of the problems I have with head meds is that you take one pill for depression and it gives you sides so you need another. It a never ending cycle.

    Example, Klonopin is great for relaxing you and in my case getting my brain to slow down and relax so I can sleep. Get this, one of its side effects. Can cause depression
    Have you ever tried Kava Kava?

    Look for something that is at least 40% standardized. KAVIARŪ Instant Kava Powder is a good one)

    I have a vendor that I've used for 3 years now. If you want this information feel free to send me private mail.

    Some people have luck with Valerian Root.

    I prefer Kava Kava and Melatonin combination.

    Another combination to try is Malatonin and Tryptophan.

    All readily available OTC.
  21. New Member
    bem9127's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    95
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    13.5%

    Quote Originally Posted by kieroneil View Post
    Interesting. My doctor has me on 51mg of Clomid AND HCG in my off-cycle.

    Is he just covering all the bases?
    My understanding of Clomid is that Clomid is used to "remove" estrogen from the blood whereas Arimidex is a Estrogen blocker.

    If this is the case, then they perform two distinctly different functions.

    That is how it was explained to me...the short version.
  22. New Member
    Pace2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    95
    Rep Power
    182
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    54.3%

    Just got my results from my 1 month on 250 IU of HCG 3x/week.

    Total T was up to 330 and Free T was 60. Better but not great.

    Estrogen was good at 23. The doctor wants to increase the dosage to 500 IU 3x/week. I am worried about rising E2 so we'll keep an eye on it. And I suggested using less more often during the week.

    We're holding off Androgel until my wife gives birth.

    I do feel better, no headaches, more libido, but I always seem to wake up about 3 AM and just can't get back to sleep. Anyone else have this problem?
  23. Advanced Member
    rick055's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    567
    Rep Power
    374
    Level
    19
    Lv. Percent
    32.67%

    Quote Originally Posted by Pace2 View Post

    I do feel better, no headaches, more libido, but I always seem to wake up about 3 AM and just can't get back to sleep. Anyone else have this problem?
    Glad you are feeling better.

    I have always had bouts with poor sleep, although being on test has helped dramatically.

    That said, I also swear by 3 mg melatonin 30 minutes before bed time. I've been using it for about a month and for me it's almost like a xanax.

    Start with 1 mg and work you way up if you don't feel groggy the next day and/or you need to.
  24. New Member
    SilkPhantom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    83
    Rep Power
    132
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    37.85%

    As a longtime poor-sleep sufferer I found that melatonin worked initially, but it's effects quickly lessened overtime to the point where it did nothing for me. Just my experience...
  25. New Member
    corndog's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    45
    Posts
    399
    Rep Power
    290
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    4.32%

    Let me give a quick health background

    low test
    high bp
    high hemoglobin
    depression/bi-polar

    Test e for low testosterone. If I inject late in the day it effects my sleep so I would assume HCG does the same. Maybe try and take your HCG earlier.

    Aspirin - I have high hemoglobin in which I get tested bi-weekly. Dr. told me to take a aspirin per day to help this. If it high I get blood removed (500-1000mil) and saline put in to thin the blood.

    I have had trouble sleeping for 15 years so head Dr. gave me Klonopin which works great. I was trying to stop taking it so thought I would try Benedril which used to work for me.

    No offence to anyone but I have minimal faith in any supplements. I've tried just about everything for bodybuilding and or general health. Now all I take is a multi, vit c, fish oil.

    I do take a stim before workouts (5:30 am). Either Liquid Clen or leviathan. I was taking DCP but noticed nothing.
  26. New Member
    T800's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    40
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    169
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    17%

    Be careful trying to take yourself off of Klonopin. I have tried several times over the years and have never been able to do so. I hate the fact that I have to rely on this drug, but I have to be realistic about it, too. As some of you know, few things can wreck your life faster than not being able to sleep.

    Klonopin has a very long half life...around 27 hrs IIRC. If I were to try again, I would probably gradually move towards meds with shorter half lives....and then at the end try something herbal/natural.

    Sonny
  27. New Member
    corndog's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  196 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Age
    45
    Posts
    399
    Rep Power
    290
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    4.32%

    Thanks, yeah, I use Klonopin to sleep and tried lowering the dose and add benedryl and then added in ZMA and it didnt work. Not sure if its all in my head or not but if I dont take Klonopin before bed i dont sleep
  28. New Member
    rfish1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    38
    Posts
    99
    Rep Power
    163
    Level
    8
    Lv. Percent
    92.89%

    I am in the middle of stoping ambien, I think thats in the class of benzo's like klonopin. Anyways, even with a slow taper this is just hell...klonopin was easier but thats not saying much took being off that for a few weeks to get back to normal. I think it has somewhere near a 40 hour half life in the body.
  29. New Member
    Pace2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    95
    Rep Power
    182
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    54.3%

    Just got back from the urologist on month #2 of my HCG therapy. Spent the last 30 days on HCG only 500 IU 3x week. Total T moved up a bit to 330 and Free T went from 60 to 90. Unfortunately Estrogen went from 23 to 34. Going to try one month at 250 IU 5x a week, and if that doesn't do much, switch to clomid. Any thoughts?
  30. Professional Member
    JanSz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,631
    Rep Power
    2417
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    61.67%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Pace2 View Post
    Just got back from the urologist on month #2 of my HCG therapy. Spent the last 30 days on HCG only 500 IU 3x week. Total T moved up a bit to 330 and Free T went from 60 to 90. Unfortunately Estrogen went from 23 to 34. Going to try one month at 250 IU 5x a week, and if that doesn't do much, switch to clomid. Any thoughts?
    Best you can do is to do 250iu hcg E2D forewer.
    Deal with your estrodial.
    At Quest Diagnostics do this test
    Estradiol, Free, LC/MS/MS (36169X)
    adjust your
    FreeE2 (0.45 - 0.6)
    use Liquidex on the other day, use insuline syringe with cut off needle to measure exactly.
    Start with 0.25 - 0.3cc, that is 25 to 30 units
    (but with current testing you do not know if you are high on E2, it may be close enough when you use the test I suggested)
    ----------------
    Use this test
    Testosterone, Free, Bio/Total (LC/MS/MS)
    you should be at the top in BioAvailable

    If you are missing
    add injectable Testosterone (forever).

    Before you start on injectable Testosterone take care of your thyroid.
    Test FreeT3, add Armour Thyroid if low, get it to the top range.

    Good luck.
  31. New Member
    Pace2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    95
    Rep Power
    182
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    54.3%

    Thanks JanSz. I am taking synthroid for low thyroid. What is the reason if to switch to Armour?
  32. Professional Member
    JanSz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,631
    Rep Power
    2417
    Level
    45
    Lv. Percent
    61.67%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Pace2 View Post
    Thanks JanSz. I am taking synthroid for low thyroid. What is the reason if to switch to Armour?
    If your FreeT3 is on the top of range with you using Synthroid,
    then keep using Synthroid (T4).

    Many people have a hard time to convert T4 ---> T3
    That is why Armour works better for them.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Nolva vs Clomid for PCT
    By chocolatemilk in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-26-2010, 05:27 PM
  2. Nolvadex vs. Clomid for PCT
    By nomoredex in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-20-2009, 02:27 AM
  3. Nolva vs. Clomid for PCT (Article)
    By Cub in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-31-2008, 06:16 AM
  4. HCG vs. Clomid throughout cycle
    By CEDeoudes59 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-28-2005, 03:34 PM
  5. femara vs clomid for stimulating test
    By JohnnyGotJacked in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-06-2005, 12:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in