Control of High Estradiol Levels - Arimidex

jlc9292

Awards
The following was posted on the Hypogonadism2 forum and I was requested to post it here as well. I have been looking for solutions to high Estridol where total testosterone, free testosterone for both trough and peak are in the upper normal range. Following is the post:

My Testosterone levels are at 709 peak and 611 trough which is pretty good. I inject .75cc of DepoTestosterone weekly. Problem is that the Estradiol levels are around 100 at peak and only drop to around 70 at trough. Has anyone tried Arimidex to control the estrogen and what are the successes and side effecte. My libido is non-existent with the T:E2 ratio at about 7:1. Any advice. Thanks

A later post was added as follows:

My anterior pituitary shut down, or at least that was what all the tests indicated..no FSH, LH at all with Total T down in the 60 range. Cortisol levels were normal. I am also hypothryoid as well as hypopituitary. The testicles were atropying and went through cycles of swelling and pain. The Epiditimus had hardened from a vasectomy many years ago and was also painful at times. There was also some evidence of varicose vein in the scrotum.. All considered my urologist, and I agreed, felt bilateral orchiectomy was the best long term solution. I had been on HRT (TRT) for a couple of years
prior. Problem is that now the HRT drives the Estradiol level out of site. Excess of 100 on peak. Looking for solutions to get the estrogen under control and maintain a 600-800 range of Total T and usable Free Testosterone as well. Right now the estrogen is binding up everything. No libido, ED, and a host of other symptome indicitive of Testosterone v/s Estrogen imbalance. My ratio is about 7:1 and should be more like 30:1. Looking for solutions. Thanks
for your input.

Jerry

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
jlc,
welcome aboard.

I do not buy into ratios and such. There is so much variability from person to person.

One thing we have to back up ourselves on is BW from healthy males aged 18 - 24.

They tend to have TT levels in the 600 - 800 range and E2 levels 17 - 25.

A good starting dose of arimidex is .25mg E3D. Use BW and feelings to adjust.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
The following was posted on the Hypogonadism2 forum and I was requested to post it here as well. I have been looking for solutions to high Estridol where total testosterone, free testosterone for both trough and peak are in the upper normal range. Following is the post:

My Testosterone levels are at 709 peak and 611 trough which is pretty good. I inject .75cc of DepoTestosterone weekly. Problem is that the Estradiol levels are around 100 at peak and only drop to around 70 at trough. Has anyone tried Arimidex to control the estrogen and what are the successes and side effecte. My libido is non-existent with the T:E2 ratio at about 7:1. Any advice. Thanks

A later post was added as follows:

My anterior pituitary shut down, or at least that was what all the tests indicated..no FSH, LH at all with Total T down in the 60 range. Cortisol levels were normal. I am also hypothryoid as well as hypopituitary. The testicles were atropying and went through cycles of swelling and pain. The Epiditimus had hardened from a vasectomy many years ago and was also painful at times. There was also some evidence of varicose vein in the scrotum.. All considered my urologist, and I agreed, felt bilateral orchiectomy was the best long term solution. I had been on HRT (TRT) for a couple of years
prior. Problem is that now the HRT drives the Estradiol level out of site. Excess of 100 on peak. Looking for solutions to get the estrogen under control and maintain a 600-800 range of Total T and usable Free Testosterone as well. Right now the estrogen is binding up everything. No libido, ED, and a host of other symptome indicitive of Testosterone v/s Estrogen imbalance. My ratio is about 7:1 and should be more like 30:1. Looking for solutions. Thanks
for your input.

Jerry
You are injecting weekly.
You are injecting 0.75cc, how much testosterone it is?
If you are using Depo-Testosterone that is 200mg/mL
that may be a lot of testosterone, (150mg/week), and then your TT(709 peak and 611 trough ). That is very low for this much testosterone. You must then have very high SHBG, for all this to make sense.
Or you are using 100mg/mL testosterone, then your dose is too small. Questions, questions.
Do not worry about ratios.
----------------------------------------------------------
Try to be very detailed, organize info as much as you are able into tables.
scan your reports and make attachments, or retype them into spreadsheet and attach,
all medications and supplements that you use, specify shedule of how you are using it.

Post your complaints and problems.

Post all yout blood tests within last 2 or 3 years.
Detailed name of test, number, units, ranges, name of laboratory.
------------------------------------------------------------
Read my thread, if you are able, arrange for the complete blood test that I list on post #44
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/66268-jans-bloodtest-april13-2.html

Read some sticky's, say thise two:
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/47864-hcg-protocol-john.html

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/47857-trt-recipe-success.html

Read some protocols on LEF:

The Life Extension Foundation: Disease Prevention And Treatment Protocols

Adrenal Disease
Adrenal Disease: Online Reference For Health Concerns

DHEA Restoration Therapy
Dhea Restoration Therapy: Online References For Health Concerns

Diabetes
Diabetes: Online References For Health Concerns

Liver Degenerative Disease
Liver Degenerative Disease: Online Reference For Health Concerns

Male Hormone Restoration
Male Hormone Restoration: Online References For Health Concerns

Thyroid Regulation
Thyroid Regulation: Online References For Health Concerns

Metabolic Syndrome
Le Magazine, July 2006 - Report: Metabolic Syndrome

rick055

Awards
  • Established
First of all, good luck with the surgery.

Just out of curiosity, with TRT would you still be able to have sexual relations afterwards?

jlc9292

Awards
Life after surgery..

Rick055,

Yes, sexual relations continues as before. Had the surgery in 2005.

JLC

rick055

Awards
  • Established
JLC,

Sorry I misunderstood the timing. I am glad things are sort of working out for you. I am new here too, and this definitely seems like a knowledgeable board.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I started arimidex not long ago, theres no side effects at all. I feel a lot more clear headed, I can lose weight again, I feel more relaxed and happy in general. The only thing is it hasnt improved my libido, I think libido is sorted out with DHEA and Pregnenelone cream.

rtolz

Awards
Has anyone tried Arimidex to control the estrogen and what are the successes and side effecte. My libido is non-existent with the T:E2 ratio at about 7:1. Any advice. Thanks

Jerry
I've been on Arimidex 1mg/day for about a year, and my T levels are consistently at the upper limit of the testing range +/- 100. My E2 ranges between 15 and 30. I've also been testing for possible side effects of too-low E2 (e.g., bone loss), and there's no problem.

Prior to this, I was on Androgel for several years, with not nearly the same effect. I dropped the Androgel 3 weeks before going on Arimidex. My doc believes that Arimidex at the same time as TRT is not a good thing, though I've never understood the logic. Whatever, his treatment regimen works very well for me.

This ought to work (Arimidex without TRT) on people whose gonads are producing an honest amount of T, but whose body is otherwise converting the T into E2. This would not work on anybody who is not producing T; e.g., primary hypogonadism.

Bob

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
I've been on Arimidex 1mg/day for about a year, and my T levels are consistently at the upper limit of the testing range +/- 100. My E2 ranges between 15 and 30. I've also been testing for possible side effects of too-low E2 (e.g., bone loss), and there's no problem.

Prior to this, I was on Androgel for several years, with not nearly the same effect. I dropped the Androgel 3 weeks before going on Arimidex. My doc believes that Arimidex at the same time as TRT is not a good thing, though I've never understood the logic. Whatever, his treatment regimen works very well for me.

This ought to work (Arimidex without TRT) on people whose gonads are producing an honest amount of T, but whose body is otherwise converting the T into E2. This would not work on anybody who is not producing T; e.g., primary hypogonadism.

Bob
Where is your shbg ?
so your main problem was e2, but have you checked into the other metabolism of estrogen pathways and not just e2 but also e1 to make sure they are going in right direction?

rtolz

Awards
Where is your shbg ?
so your main problem was e2, but have you checked into the other metabolism of estrogen pathways and not just e2 but also e1 to make sure they are going in right direction?
I have not checked into other pathways. What for? This works.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
I have not checked into other pathways. What for? This works.
Yes it may work for now, but its better to cover all basis so it does not come around and smack you in the ass later !!

rtolz

Awards
Yes it may work for now, but its better to cover all basis so it does not come around and smack you in the ass later !!
It's been working for a year, and I'm under the care of a doctor I trust and am not second-guessing.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
It's been working for a year, and I'm under the care of a doctor I trust and am not second-guessing.
I was on armidex as well but my estrodial was in the toilet estrones where through the roof ..I would have never known that . Estrones IMO can cause just as much havoc as elevated e2 and are actually more dangerous in terms of implication on DNa synthesis

rtolz

Awards
I was on armidex as well but my estrodial was in the toilet estrones where through the roof ..I would have never known that . Estrones IMO can cause just as much havoc as elevated e2 and are actually more dangerous in terms of implication on DNa synthesis
Thanks. I will certainly relate your experience to my doctor at my next appointment and see if he decides to do any further inquiry along those lines.

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
Bob thanks for coming and posting your use of Arimidex to keep your T levels up. So guys here is one that shows it can be done.
http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/89/3/1174

Bob

Mr. V

Awards

Bob
Hi Bob,

To most of us, that 1mg per day seems like a lot. What is your age? Have you had any trouble at all with going to low? Any symptoms of depression, or anxiety attacks?

Glad you are doing well. This is very interesting.

rtolz

Awards
Hi Bob,

To most of us, that 1mg per day seems like a lot. What is your age? Have you had any trouble at all with going to low? Any symptoms of depression, or anxiety attacks?

Glad you are doing well. This is very interesting.
No problems at all. Honestly. I'm 57 years old, 5'9" and 220 pounds. I've dropped 90 pounds in the past two years, and it's well-known that additional fat increases the aromatization of T to E2, so I was a primary example of an overweight person going low on T because of this. Pumping more T into the system was sort of like pushing more water through a broken pipe. Getting off of the TRT and onto Arimidex is like backing down the external pressure but fixing the pipe.

I know that a lot of folks use much less than 1mg/day of Arimidex, but aren't a lot of them also on TRT? I am not. My dosage is the one which was the subject of the leading study, and this is what my doctor has had good results with.

Bob

rick055

Awards
  • Established
My dosage is the one which was the subject of the leading study, and this is what my doctor has had good results with.
Would you happen to have a link to the study? Is it the one mentioned a couple of posts ago?

rick055

Awards
  • Established
Is there much we know - even anecdotally - about long term use of arimidex? Does it appear relatively safe for men?

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Is there much we know - even anecdotally - about long term use of arimidex? Does it appear relatively safe for men?
Rick
Im beginning to believe that resveratrol, high dose, can be just as effective as low dose adex and offer a full spectrum of health benefits that adex can't touch, as well as zero side effects.

Mr. V

Awards
Rick
Im beginning to believe that resveratrol, high dose, can be just as effective as low dose adex and offer a full spectrum of health benefits that adex can't touch, as well as zero side effects.
Based on what?

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Based on what?
Its called google. Type in resveratrol

Pour over the hundreds upon hundreds of articles, studies and such that is going on like I did. Im not here to do all your work for you, I do enough for myself. :FUfinger:

Resveratrol is one of if not THE most researched plant based compounds in the world right now, so finding info shouldn't be hard to do.

rick055

Awards
  • Established
Rick
When you say high dose, you're talking 500 mg/day?

And is there only one kind of resveratol, or is there a preferred form?

Mr. V

Awards
Its called google. Type in resveratrol

Pour over the hundreds upon hundreds of articles, studies and such that is going on like I did. Im not here to do all your work for you, I do enough for myself. :FUfinger:

Resveratrol is one of if not THE most researched plant based compounds in the world right now, so finding info shouldn't be hard to do.
Thank you for your mature answer, and your nice graphic....guess your still in high school. Was not questioning the validity of your statement, but rather what you were basing it on. Guess none of us will know unless we mine through hundreds of Google links to see if there is any credible evidence to back up what YOU say.

KSman

KSman

Awards
  • Established
It has been used for a long time and does not have any effects other than lowering E.

KSman

KSman

Awards
  • Established

Bob
1mg/day is insanely expensive. With TRT, 1mg/wk is often enough. Not doing TRT and Arimidex is the mark of a Doctor who does not know what he is doing.

Many drop transdermal T because:
-the dose was to small
-some simply do not absorb well or sweat too much
-TDs promote more T..>E aromatization

TRT + arimidex would be a lot less expensive!!!!!

Most docs who had a bad result with TD's would go to injections.

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
When you say high dose, you're talking 500 mg/day?

And is there only one kind of resveratol, or is there a preferred form?
300mg per day.

Yes, there is a preferred form.

You want to look for highly pure trans resveratrol, without excess emodium.

The only 3 places I would trust for this would be threw lef.org, t-nation.com, or primordialperformance.com

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thank you for your mature answer, and your nice graphic....guess your still in high school. Was not questioning the validity of your statement, but rather what you were basing it on. Guess none of us will know unless we mine through hundreds of Google links to see if there is any credible evidence to back up what YOU say.
Im 28.

Its not like your searching for the cup of christ man. Pubmed it, google it, yahoo it, there is tons upon tons of stuff on resveratrol. Sorry about the snide remark, I just grow tired of always having to do everyones searching ;)

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Im 28.

Its not like your searching for the cup of christ man. Pubmed it, google it, yahoo it, there is tons upon tons of stuff on resveratrol. Sorry about the snide remark, I just grow tired of always having to do everyones searching ;)
When I was 28 it was a very good year,
for me and for the girls I knew.

========================================================================

Frank Sinatra | It Was A Very Good Year lyrics
When I was twenty-one
It was a very good year
It was a very good year for city girls
Who lived up the stair
With all that perfumed hair
And it came undone
When I was twenty-one

When I was thirty-five
It was a very good year
It was a very good year for blue-blooded girls
Of independent means
Wed ride in limousines
Their chauffeurs would drive
When I was thirty-five

aculpep

Awards
Why would you say it's expensive? The liquid version isnt expensive at all and if insurance pays for it... either way it's not expensive. Add in T and you'll need more arimidex not less.

The bottom line is he said it WORKS for him so it's unfair to say his doctor doesnt know what he's doing. I believe I'm in the same boat, normal TT high E2 but I'll wait for Dr. John to tell me what to do after my rhein panel comes back.

I'm just surprised you dont bottom out at 1mg a day. The study I saw showed normal healthy individuals at 1mg bottoming out and at .5mb ED there E2 was halfed. But those people had normal E2 to begin with so makes sense I guess if you already have high E2.

1mg/day is insanely expensive. With TRT, 1mg/wk is often enough. Not doing TRT and Arimidex is the mark of a Doctor who does not know what he is doing.

Many drop transdermal T because:
-the dose was to small
-some simply do not absorb well or sweat too much
-TDs promote more T..>E aromatization

TRT + arimidex would be a lot less expensive!!!!!

Most docs who had a bad result with TD's would go to injections.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Why would you say it's expensive? The liquid version isnt expensive at all and if insurance pays for it... either way it's not expensive. Add in T and you'll need more arimidex not less.

The bottom line is he said it WORKS for him so it's unfair to say his doctor doesnt know what he's doing. I believe I'm in the same boat, normal TT high E2 but I'll wait for Dr. John to tell me what to do after my rhein panel comes back.

I'm just surprised you dont bottom out at 1mg a day. The study I saw showed normal healthy individuals at 1mg bottoming out and at .5mb ED there E2 was halfed. But those people had normal E2 to begin with so makes sense I guess if you already have high E2.
its amazing how these people in the study where healthy and just slashed there e2 by half with 5 mgs adex a day and had no side effects but people on here take .25 mgs and it throws them into chaos. Do you think its beacuse they have other hormnal influences going causing this? It just befuddles me that just small changes in adex for some people means life and almost death ..

plymouth city

Banned
Awards
  • Established
When I was 28 it was a very good year,
for me and for the girls I knew.

========================================================================

Frank Sinatra | It Was A Very Good Year lyrics
When I was twenty-one
It was a very good year
It was a very good year for city girls
Who lived up the stair
With all that perfumed hair
And it came undone
When I was twenty-one

When I was thirty-five
It was a very good year
It was a very good year for blue-blooded girls
Of independent means
Wed ride in limousines
Their chauffeurs would drive
When I was thirty-five
Hehehehe
Yea its a very good year ;)

Im feeling really, really agressive and assertive from this Derm Sustain + Tribulus combo Im on, hence my response above, LOL>

aculpep

Awards
From my interpretations of the study you posted I wouldnt take more than 1mg twice a week. There seems to be a point to where more arimidex does not correlate with lower E2. The study itself shows this.

Group 1 = 1mg daily
Group 2 = 1mg twice a week

Serum estradiol levels decreased from 26 ± 8 to 17 ± 6 pg/ml in group 1 and from 27 ± 8 to 17 ± 5 pg/ml in group 2

Notice anything similar? Same result, different amounts of AI.

Result: Same level of E2 lowered with 1mg weekly as with the 1mg a day. Save money on arimidex also.

That's it.

aculpep

Awards
The study cited were not healthy individuals but older people with low T levels. I think it's all about if you have high E2 and struggle with that. I took .5 ED for a bit and didnt feel any negative affects.

The other study I read was with "healthy" younger people and they bottomed out on 1mg ED. There E2 halfed with .5mg ED. Definitely a difference in healthy non-hypogonadal vs low T people with high E2 to begin with.

That is interesting how different it affects people. Has to be something else playing into it.

its amazing how these people in the study where healthy and just slashed there e2 by half with 5 mgs adex a day and had no side effects but people on here take .25 mgs and it throws them into chaos. Do you think its beacuse they have other hormnal influences going causing this? It just befuddles me that just small changes in adex for some people means life and almost death ..

KSman

KSman

Awards
  • Established
Arimidex is self limiting in some ways and for many, it can't push E2 too low. When it can, that seems to be rare.

One study showed same result for 1mg and 2mg per day, which is not a surprise. But perhaps .5ed or .25mg is where this plateau effect takes place. Not much data on where that happens and around that dose, whatever that is, I think we would start to see some effects of individual response.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Arimidex is self limiting in some ways and for many, it can't push E2 too low. When it can, that seems to be rare.

One study showed same result for 1mg and 2mg per day, which is not a surprise. But perhaps .5ed or .25mg is where this plateau effect takes place. Not much data on where that happens and around that dose, whatever that is, I think we would start to see some effects of individual response.
With my e2 of 17 and 37 shbg I see that this could actually be causing an estrogen bioaviable defieincy since I have all the tell tell signs of blood test for e2 defiecincy (low cholesterol, low inuslin, unless there is a xenoestrogen or e metabolites that is blocking up the receptor sites

jlc9292

Awards
Cont'd from prior posts from jlc9292

My Dr. put me on .5mg of Arimidex daily which I thought was too much. After 2 weeks my E2 was nondetectable. I was dropped to .5mg every other day. Still too much. After 4 weeks the E2 was nondetectable. After discussing this with my Dr. we agreed to use 1mg per week taken half the day prior to injection of T and the remainder the day of the shot to try to control the spike.

I have no normal production of T so get all mine from the bottle of DepoTestosterone Cyp 200 units per cc at a rate of .75 cc (150) units per week. My T level has ranged between 550 on trough to 675 on peak. I would like to get it up a bit. Have also been put on Finasteride to protect the prostate and keep the DHT levels down. We'll see how that works and I will post later to let everyone know.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established

My Dr. put me on .5mg of Arimidex daily which I thought was too much. After 2 weeks my E2 was nondetectable. I was dropped to .5mg every other day. Still too much. After 4 weeks the E2 was nondetectable. After discussing this with my Dr. we agreed to use 1mg per week taken half the day prior to injection of T and the remainder the day of the shot to try to control the spike.

I have no normal production of T so get all mine from the bottle of DepoTestosterone Cyp 200 units per cc at a rate of .75 cc (150) units per week. My T level has ranged between 550 on trough to 675 on peak. I would like to get it up a bit. Have also been put on Finasteride to protect the prostate and keep the DHT levels down. We'll see how that works and I will post later to let everyone know.
Post blood test results, names, values, units, ranges, performing laboratory.

Change your injection schedule to E3D or even E2D.

150mg/week should give you higher TotalT levels.
I should be around 1000 when testicles are not working.
Per study post #40
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/66268-jans-bloodtest-april13-2.html
Testosterone injections usualy are easy on DHT,
do you have blood test confirming that your DHT is high?
I had a sky high DHT while on transdermals, it went back to almost normal after I switched to injections.

I use LiquiDex, easy to change dose.
I use this test to figure out my E2 and FreeE2
Estradiol, Free, LC/MS/MS (36169X)

the output of that test is:
Estradiol, Free (Males (Adult): < or = 0.45 pg/mL )
Estradiol (Males (Adult): < or = 29 pg/mL)

---------------------------------------------------------
I described my Aug30/07 test results and following adjustments on post #63 here

KSman

KSman

Awards
  • Established

Your doctor seems to be fumbling around in the dark. He prescribed Arimidex at doses that a body builder would need taking very high amounts of gear. 1mg/wk is the typical starting dose, then blood work can guide changes from there. When E2 goes too low, libido can crash.

Be careful with Finasteride. When DHT is pushed low, libido can suffer and the genitals can be adversely affected. Some get permanently harmed with anti-DHT drugs. The biggest factor for prostate enlargement (BPH) is estrogen. Get E2 into the low 20's and things should be ok.

That would be 150mg, not 150 units.

Some of your T has been lost via T-->E conversion. The AI may improve your T levels. AI will reduce SHBG and free T should improve.

Arimidex once a week is wrong. The half live of arimidex is not that long. Dosing every other day would be best. But it is hard to break tablets into 3.5 pieces. A liquid product provides great dosing flexibility.