Low Blood Glucose

CF10

CF10

Awards
I've had 3 lab tests done in the last few months, and my results for Serum Glucose were as follows:

1. 80 **Empty stomach, first thing in morning
2. 64 **About 2 hrs after breakfast
3. 59 **About 1.5 hrs after breakfast

The reference range is 65-99. I know these numbers arent that low but is it something I should be concerned about or is it normal for glucose to drop after a meal like that?

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
I've had 3 lab tests done in the last few months, and my results for Serum Glucose were as follows:

The reference range is 65-99. I know these numbers arent that low but is it something I should be concerned about or is it normal for glucose to drop after a meal like that?
WELCOME TO WORD OF ADRENAL FATIGUE !!! REACTIVE HYPOGLYCEMIA !! You have inuslin imbalance body is pumping out too much !!

CF10

CF10

Awards
OK I will ask the doctor to let me have a 24 hr cortisol test next time, although I dont know if he will because my cortisol was just above normal range (I know one time serum cortisol measurements dont tell the whole story but I dont know if he will agree), and my ACTH was smack in the middle of normal. But yes I do think adrenal fatigue should be explored since they (the docs) cant seem to come up with any solid answers of their own.

So on top of that, should I ask for a glucose tolerance test or something? Is there a test to measure insulin directly, not just glucose?

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
OK I will ask the doctor to let me have a 24 hr cortisol test next time, although I dont know if he will because my cortisol was just above normal range (I know one time serum cortisol measurements dont tell the whole story but I dont know if he will agree), and my ACTH was smack in the middle of normal. But yes I do think adrenal fatigue should be explored since they (the docs) cant seem to come up with any solid answers of their own.

So on top of that, should I ask for a glucose tolerance test or something? Is there a test to measure insulin directly, not just glucose?
GLucose tolerance test can measure insulin response as well.
Look for free cortisol same as Bioavailable testosterone in the blood or 24 hour cortisol test

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
GLucose tolerance test can measure insulin response as well.
Look for free cortisol same as Bioavailable testosterone in the blood or 24 hour cortisol test
HAN
help with choosing proper test

Quest have number of tests that do free cortisol
any guess which one is desirable

• 18-Hydroxycortisol, Free, 24-Hour Urine - (11178X)
• Cortisol, Free & Cortisone, 24-Hour Urine (37355X) - (89771N)
• Cortisol, Free and Total, LC/MS/MS (37077X) - (3350N)
• CORTISOL, FREE, 12-HOUR URINE - (330)
• Cortisol, Free, 24-Hour Urine LC/MS/MS - (11280X)
• Cortisol, Free, LC/MS/MS (36423X) - (21469P)

you may get more details on each test when you start with this link

Quest Diagnostics: Test Menu

=========================================================
there is also
Hemoglobin A1C

and other hemoglobin tests

CF10

CF10

Awards
One more thing, just want to make sure that those numbers couldnt be considered normal at all. Because when the people saw my CBC many jumped to conclusions too quickly when in fact it was just fine, I just have lower counts of some cells naturally according to the hematologists. So do glucose numbers like mine stand out as indicative of a problem or could it be another "that's just the way my body is" thing.

griffinannie

Awards
Hey hardasnails, what can you do for reactive hypoclycemia? Or do you do anything? My labs confirm but my doc appt is still awhile away. FWIW I have doc diagnosed adrenal fatigue.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Hey hardasnails, what can you do for reactive hypoclycemia? Or do you do anything? My labs confirm but my doc appt is still awhile away. FWIW I have doc diagnosed adrenal fatigue.
Dr put me on gynmenna from standard process 400 mgs 3 times day will help insulin work more efficienctly..TRT if you are on it also helps out too..I think many years of keeping a low carb diet and high protein diet kept me in a hypoglycemic state eventually wearing out my adrenals .. Constant hypoglycemia will cause cortisol to release and over time coupled with a low salt/ low iodine diet just did my adrenals and endocrine system in..

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Dr put me on gynmenna from standard process 400 mgs 3 times day will help insulin work more efficienctly..TRT if you are on it also helps out too..I think many years of keeping a low carb diet and high protein diet kept me in a hypoglycemic state eventually wearing out my adrenals .. Constant hypoglycemia will cause cortisol to release and over time coupled with a low salt/ low iodine diet just did my adrenals and endocrine system in..
Amazon.com: Gymnema Sylvestre Leaf 400 Mg 100 Caps: Health & Personal Care
Gymnema Sylvestre Leaf 400 Mg 100 Caps
Price: $3.59
It is made by NowFoods, I am sure about quality.
---------------------------------------------------

HAN
my
Glucose, fasting=105 (65-99)mg/dL
Hemoglobin A1C=5.4 (<6%) LEF likes it at below 4.6%
Insuline, serum=5 (<17)micro IU/mL

do you think that
I have any problem or start of a problem?

since I got this blood test results I started taking LEF products #702 & #967
that I thought they recomend.
LEF do not cary anything with Gymnema Sylvestre

Amazon sells it real cheap,
what do you say?

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Amazon.com: Gymnema Sylvestre Leaf 400 Mg 100 Caps: Health & Personal Care
Gymnema Sylvestre Leaf 400 Mg 100 Caps
Price: $3.59
It is made by NowFoods, I am sure about quality.
---------------------------------------------------

HAN
my
Glucose, fasting=105 (65-99)mg/dL
Hemoglobin A1C=5.4 (<6%) LEF likes it at below 4.6%
Insuline, serum=5 (<17)micro IU/mL

do you think that
I have any problem or start of a problem?

since I got this blood test results I started taking LEF products #702 & #967
that I thought they recomend.
LEF do not cary anything with Gymnema Sylvestre

Amazon sells it real cheap,
what do you say?
Check glucose tolerance test 2 hour
Too high cortisol could be pushing your sugars up too..
melatonin would reduce nocturunal cortisol levels

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_2002_June/ai_86387587

RPHMark

Awards
JanSz,
That HA1c is suspicious. The fasting glucose doesn't bother me as much as knowing that the A1c is that high. What's your diet like? The low insulin level doesn't back me up, but I wonder if you could be insulin resistant? What are you blood sugars like 1 to 2 hours after eating?

CF10
Keep in mind that normal blood sugar non-fasting is 80 to 120.
The range you have is for fasting. Those are low readings if the meal contained a moderate carb count. Generally blood sugar is at its highest 1 to 2 hours after eating (closer to 2).
Get yourself a glucose monitor and check random sugars 1 to 2 hours after eating and some fasting readings also. You can usually get one free if you check pharmacies who mention specializing in diabetes or billing medicare for supplies.

HAN- I don't follow the low carb to adrenal fatigue. Are you talking about inducing ketoacidosis (no carb)?

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
JanSz,
That HA1c is suspicious. The fasting glucose doesn't bother me as much as knowing that the A1c is that high. What's your diet like? The low insulin level doesn't back me up, but I wonder if you could be insulin resistant? What are you blood sugars like 1 to 2 hours after eating?
That A1C is not high!

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established

Were the tests done at a lab, doctor's office or at home? If at a doctor's office or home which glucometer was used? For glucometers there are typically deviations of ~5% are generally accepted but some are higher. http://www.clinchem.org/cgi/reprint/45/10/1821.pdf

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
JanSz,
I have glucose meter, use to use it with my diabetic dog.
How to do this 1 or 2 hours test after eating, what to eat, any details?

Hard to say about my diet. If criticizing, off hand I would say not enough vegetables but too much fruits. Multitude of LEF recomended supplements.

67yo, 6'9", 160#

CF10

CF10

Awards
CF10
Keep in mind that normal blood sugar non-fasting is 80 to 120.
The range you have is for fasting. Those are low readings if the meal contained a moderate carb count. Generally blood sugar is at its highest 1 to 2 hours after eating (closer to 2).
Get yourself a glucose monitor and check random sugars 1 to 2 hours after eating and some fasting readings also. You can usually get one free if you check pharmacies who mention specializing in diabetes or billing medicare for supplies.
Thanks for the info, I did not know that. My meals before the tests when I wasnt fasted did contain moderate CHO (~40g) from oatmeal. I think I will go get a glucose monitor, this is weighing on my mind even more now.

Were the tests done at a lab, doctor's office or at home? If at a doctor's office or home which glucometer was used? For glucometers there are typically deviations of ~5% are generally accepted but some are higher. http://www.clinchem.org/cgi/reprint/45/10/1821.pdf
The first test was done at a lab, which was the one where I had fasted and I was in normal range at 80. The second two were both at doc offices and I had eaten about 1-2 hrs before the blood was taken for both of them. I dont know what they used to test it, all I know is they drew blood and the blood glucose was part of the complete metabolic profile.

RPHMark

Awards
That A1C is not high!
For a diagnosed diabetic that would be acceptable. It translates to an average blood sugar around 115 to 120, too high for my taste in a person looking for optimal health. Obviously if that is the average then a good deal of the time his blood sugar is above that.

Dr. John, about 50% of the A1C number is due to blood sugars over the last 60 to 120 days with the other 50% being over the last 30 days, I have not seen 1 or 2 really bad meals have that large an effect on A1C.

JanSz- eat what you normally do, that's the idea. Find out what your sugars are when you eat what you normally do. As far as diet I was just wondering if you were trying to control your carbs or eat low GI carbs or not worrying about it at all.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
For a diagnosed diabetic that would be acceptable. It translates to an average blood sugar around 115 to 120, too high for my taste in a person looking for optimal health. Obviously if that is the average then a good deal of the time his blood sugar is above that.
Considering the range is 4-5.9 and that every % =~35mg/dl and 6% is related to 135mg/dl then the average would be 112mg/dl if we were to get more precise. When you consider that 2 hour post prandial blood sugar should be <140mg/dl it could just be representative of good nutrition, eating every 2-4 hours. In reality, if you are eating regularly your blood sugar will be >100mg/dl most of the time.

RPHMark

Awards
I think that for the "average" person below 5 is perfectly reasonable to expect. True that more frequent meals might raise the level some, but if eating low GI foods in small/moderate amounts blood sugar will not go anywhere near that 140 very often, or for very long. I did not calculate the conversion, so I shot a bit high, but I would still contend that A1c is higher than ideal and worth monitoring.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
I think that for the "average" person below 5 is perfectly reasonable to expect. True that more frequent meals might raise the level some, but if eating low GI foods in small/moderate amounts blood sugar will not go anywhere near that 140 very often, or for very long. I did not calculate the conversion, so I shot a bit high, but I would still contend that A1c is higher than ideal and worth monitoring.
Point taken.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I located equation for rather linear realationship between glucose and A1c

y=35x-75
y-glucose
x-A1c
y=35*5.4-75=114

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/865604-post23.html

or strait
Health Library Provided by Private MD - Confidential Online Lab Testing Services

under A1c

RPHMark

Awards
Learn more about HbA1c.
Not sure what you mean. I have quite a bit of experience with diabetic pts and A1c values. I did not perform the acutal computation if that's what you are referring to.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
y=35x-75
y-glucose
x-A1c

y=140
x=(y+75)/35=6.14

when
glucose=140 (for prolonged time)

expect
A1c~6.14

RPHMark

Awards
I highly respect your opinion Dr. John, I just have not had that experience of a bad meal or two drastically altering A1C. Pts have admitted to blowouts, but A1C did not seem out of the ordinary. His A1C is not that high, but it seems most people on this board are interested in optimal health and anti-aging/life extension. In that light, I would say he might want to make some adjustments. Most target numbers I have seen list A1C around 4.6 to 5 as most ideal.

RPHMark

Awards
Again, the point is that one good blowout can elevate the value. I don't find anything particularly troubling about his number.

The late, great Dr. Alan Miles taught me the most relevant measure is postprandiol. He said, "test 'em where they live". The wisdom behind that thinking becomes more and more obvious as time goes on.
I didn't read the last part of this post last time. Absolutely, postprandial testing is the first/best area to spot problems. I have heard it stated that if we did random and/or postprandial testing instead of routinely testing fasting BS that we might diagnose many diabetics as much as 3 to 4 years earlier.
I don't think we have those numbers for JanSz.
CF10 gave us his postprandial numbers. I have certainly seen insulin resistant pts with that pattern, but if his blood sugars are routinely is this pattern without ever going high then it's over my head.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I didn't read the last part of this post last time. Absolutely, postprandial testing is the first/best area to spot problems. I have heard it stated that if we did random and/or postprandial testing instead of routinely testing fasting BS that we might diagnose many diabetics as much as 3 to 4 years earlier.
I don't think we have those numbers for JanSz.
CF10 gave us his postprandial numbers. I have certainly seen insulin resistant pts with that pattern, but if his blood sugars are routinely is this pattern without ever going high then it's over my head.
I have a glucose meter.
Tell me whe to test, how many times.
Thank you.
-------------
Otherwise I will follow CF10 routine.
1. **Empty stomach, first thing in morning
2. **About 1.5 hrs after breakfast
3. **About 2 hrs after breakfast

RPHMark

Awards
Obivously, cost is an issue with the strips, but here is what we often have people do. It's not critical you follow this exact regimen, just record what time you test, how long after a meal it was, and what the meal consisted of.
Day one- test upon rising and 1 to 2 hours after breakfast
Day two- test 1 to 2 hours after lunch and just before supper
Day three- test 1 to 2 hours after supper and just before bed
repeat that pattern a few times and you should have a decent feel for how your blood sugar is throughout the day over a period 10 days or so. Assuming all of the meals are "typical" for your diet t this will give you quite a bit of information to work with. If you happen to wake up in the middle of the night and are really ambitious test once or twice between 2 and 5 AM (some people have a spike around then).

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Obivously, cost is an issue with the strips, but here is what we often have people do. It's not critical you follow this exact regimen, just record what time you test, how long after a meal it was, and what the meal consisted of.
repeat that pattern a few times and you should have a decent feel for how your blood sugar is throughout the day over a period 10 days or so. Assuming all of the meals are "typical" for your diet t this will give you quite a bit of information to work with. If you happen to wake up in the middle of the night and are really ambitious test once or twice between 2 and 5 AM (some people have a spike around then).
I will try my best, but the above assumes that I have
breakfast
lunch
dinner/supper
plus that I have a typical meal.

I know I had 67 years to set some kind of schedule, but I am still working on it.

CF10

CF10

Awards

I went to buy a glucose meter yesterday and when I saw the price of the strips I decided not to. I would rather just let my doctor determine what to do about the situation. If I have an issue with insulin, whether it be resistance to it or a problem with my pancreas, he can test for that kind of thing for free.

Now, I need help from you guys about what to say to the doc. The first doc I was seeing told me "You dont have diabetes there's nothing wrong there", and the doc I'm seeing now didnt mention anything about the glucose results. So what should I say? I dont wanna sound uninformed because I want this guy to respect my knowledge to a certain extent. Should I ask about hyperinsulinemia and/or insulin resistance? Do these terms apply in this case?

RPHMark

Awards
CF10- There's a chance they could apply. You do sometimes see that blood sugar pattern in a hyperinsulinemic/insulin resistant pt, due to an "over-response" of insulin. But that certainly isn't the only explanation, I just don't know much about the other explanations. I'm sure someone else can shed light on other possibilities.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Now, I need help from you guys about what to say to the doc. The first doc I was seeing told me "You dont have diabetes there's nothing wrong there", and the doc I'm seeing now didnt mention anything about the glucose results. So what should I say? I dont wanna sound uninformed because I want this guy to respect my knowledge to a certain extent. Should I ask about hyperinsulinemia and/or insulin resistance? Do these terms apply in this case?
It does not appear to be insulin resistance althought that can develop if it is hyperinsulinemia. Your postprandial numbers are lower than referance range which could indicative of hyperinsulinemia which will cause rebound hypoglycemia. Or the simple fact may be that your blood sugar runs lower than most and there is nothing wrong.

Do you ever experience sign/symptoms of hypoglycemia is the question that needs to be answered.

I would ask about rebound hypoglycemia and let him lead from there.

CF10

CF10

Awards
It does not appear to be insulin resistance althought that can develop if it is hyperinsulinemia. Your postprandial numbers are lower than referance range which could indicative of hyperinsulinemia which will cause rebound hypoglycemia. Or the simple fact may be that your blood sugar runs lower than most and there is nothing wrong.

Do you ever experience sign/symptoms of hypoglycemia is the question that needs to be answered.

I would ask about rebound hypoglycemia and let him lead from there.
Yeah I get dizzy when I stand up sometimes and I see red stars. Sometimes the stars are so bad my vision is completely redded out and I cant see for a second or two. But it's not something I ever thought was a problem until I saw these glucose results and started to put things together a bit. I will bring it up to the doctor this week.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I get dizzy when I stand up sometimes and I see red stars. Sometimes the stars are so bad my vision is completely redded out and I cant see for a second or two. But it's not something I ever thought was a problem until I saw these glucose results and started to put things together a bit. I will bring it up to the doctor this week.
IIRC that is bad Adrenal fatige, probably among other possibilities.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
That sounds more like a BP (orthostatic hypotension) issue than a blood sugar issue.

CF10

CF10

Awards
That sounds more like a BP (orthostatic hypotension) issue than a blood sugar issue.
I've never had a low BP reading. I think the lowest it ever was was 110/70. Not saying it's not a possibility though, and I'll ask the doc about that too, thanks.

JanSz, I'm gonna do my best to get the doctor to let me do a 24 hr cortisol test. I'm concerned that he wont though because he said I dont have exhausted adrenals because my cortisol measured just above high-normal first thing in the AM, and my ACTH is middle range. He said if my adrenals were exhausted I would have low cortisol and higher ACTH (assuming no pituitary problems).

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Thank you.
Specially the MerckManual lists number of reasons for Orthostatic Hypotension.

Reading thru CF10's posts have you developed any hyphotesis?

Many Orthostatic Hypotension problems are related mostly to elderly, out od shape people. CF10 looks to me as young very well conditioned man, wery few of these problems will apply to him.

RPHMark

Awards
It looks like some other issues are pointing toward adrenal fatigue according to CF10. I may be mistaken, but I thought orthostatic hypotension was associated with adrenal fatigue also.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
It looks like some other issues are pointing toward adrenal fatigue according to CF10. I may be mistaken, but I thought orthostatic hypotension was associated with adrenal fatigue also.
It is associated with a few conditions, adrenal insufficiency being one. But as posted, cortisol levels were slightly elevated not low.

I would get my insulin & c-peptide levels checked and go from there.

...my cortisol was just above normal range (I know one time serum cortisol measurements dont tell the whole story but I dont know if he will agree), and my ACTH was smack in the middle of normal...

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
It is associated with a few conditions, adrenal insufficiency being one. But as posted, cortisol levels were slightly elevated not low.

I would get my insulin & c-peptide levels checked and go from there.
I am learning,
please explain what tests I would order from Quest Diagnostics when I want to check my c-peptide levels.

============================================
http://cas2.questdiagnostics.com/scripts/webdos.wls?MGWLPN=QDCIAP20&wlapp=DOS&SearchString=C&tmradio=title&auto=false&SITE=4&SearchString2=

• C-Peptide - (372X)
• C-Peptide Response to Glucose (9 Timed Samples) - (15448X)
• C-Peptide Response to Glucose, 2 Specimen - (15843X)
• C-Peptide Response to Glucose, 3 Specimen - (15844X)
• C-Peptide Response to Glucose, 4 Specimen - (15845X)
• C-Peptide Response to Glucose, 5 Specimen - (31345X)
• C-Peptide Response to Glucose, 6 Specimen - (15846X)
• C-Peptide Response to Glucose, 7 Specimen - (15847X)
• C-Peptide Response to Glucose, 8 Specimen - (15848X)
• C-Peptide Stimulation by Glucagon (14747X) - (2287N)
• C-Peptide, 24-Hour Urine (4643X) - (8573N)
• C-Peptide, 2nd Void Urine - (11182X)
==============================================

Page #50 EndoManual_3rdEd_2004
http://www.questdiagnostics.com/hcp/intguide/EndoMetab/EndoManual_3rdEd_2004.pdf

C-Peptide, Serum or Urine

Useful for distinguishing
1) insulin-secreting tumors
2) type 1 from type 2 diabetes (type 2 is associated with abundant C-peptide secretion)
===============================================

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
Since 6/20/07, for over a month (48 days) I have been using supplements that I tought the LEF recomends for lowering glucose;
MEGA SILYMARIN 900 MG 100 CAPS Item#00702
ENHANCED CINNULIN PF W/GLUCOSE90 CAPS Item# 00967
Lets see how I do:

;================================================================================
I am using OneTouch Ultra blood Glucose meter, RTR40F7FT
Strips are OneTouch UltraSmart InDuo, Code 16, Expiration Date 10/2005, control range (94-128)mg/dL
;================================================================================
8/6/2007
8:30AM Glucose 107 get out of bed
9:20AM Breakfast 9:20AM end of breakfast
1/2 lb Birds Eye Italian blend frozen vegetable
Cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, zucchini, carrots, peas
1piece (1oz), Crunchy breaded fish fillets, 0 transfat
10oz coffee, 2oz 2% milk in it, no sugar,
16 oz EarlGrey tea, no sugar
I do not drink coffee or tea at once, I do that sipping little bit throughout the day.
11:20AM glucose=107 /2 hours after brekfast

3:pM 3-4PM cranbery, milk chocolate, indian-mix, keep drinkibg coffee 2nd 10oz cup, and tea second 16oz glass
4:50PM glucose=97
8:30PM two slices of cake, grapes and cherries at the dance club
9:45PM glucose=113
10:00PM Two kaiser rolls, each 4 slices of bacon, lots of onions, tea
8/7/2007
4:30AM glucose=125
8:15AM glucose=107
9:30AM Two envelopes of (Strum's organic instant oatmeal, apple cinnamon), 2 cups of whole milk, 10oz coffe no sugar
11:45AM glucose=121

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
I am learning,
please explain what tests I would order from Quest Diagnostics when I want to check my c-peptide levels.
Considering that it would be ideal to have 3 or more blood draws, C-Peptide Response to Glucose, 3 Specimen - (15844X), would be the way to go. I guess you could go to walmart and purchase glucose tabs and then go to Quest.

CF10

CF10

Awards
Since 6/20/07, for over a month (48 days) I have been using supplements that I tought the LEF recomends for lowering glucose;
MEGA SILYMARIN 900 MG 100 CAPS Item#00702
ENHANCED CINNULIN PF W/GLUCOSE90 CAPS Item# 00967
Lets see how I do:

I am using OneTouch Ultra blood Glucose meter, RTR40F7FT
Strips are OneTouch UltraSmart InDuo, Code 16, Expiration Date 10/2005, control range (94-128)mg/dL
8/6/2007
8:30AM Glucose 107 get out of bed
9:20AM Breakfast 9:20AM end of breakfast
1/2 lb Birds Eye Italian blend frozen vegetable
Cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, zucchini, carrots, peas
1piece (1oz), Crunchy breaded fish fillets, 0 transfat
10oz coffee, 2oz 2% milk in it, no sugar,
16 oz EarlGrey tea, no sugar
I do not drink coffee or tea at once, I do that sipping little bit throughout the day.
11:20AM glucose=107 /2 hours after brekfast

3:pM 3-4PM cranbery, milk chocolate, indian-mix, keep drinkibg coffee 2nd 10oz cup, and tea second 16oz glass
4:50PM glucose=97
8:30PM two slices of cake, grapes and cherries at the dance club
9:45PM glucose=113
10:00PM Two kaiser rolls, each 4 slices of bacon, lots of onions, tea
8/7/2007
4:30AM glucose=125
8:15AM glucose=107
9:30AM Two envelopes of (Strum's organic instant oatmeal, apple cinnamon), 2 cups of whole milk, 10oz coffe no sugar
11:45AM glucose=121
Whoa fish for breakfast!?! My stomach would hate me ;)...and so would the toilet! :gas:

RPHMark

Awards
JanSz,
Considering some of the meals, your postprandial BS are not that high, just on the higher end of normal (which is in line with your HA1C). Just keep an eye on it and try to stick with higer fiber, low GI carbs. You might try your own "glucose challange" at home. It is admittedly not a controlled test, but you will get some idea of how your insulin response is. Just check your sugar at 1, 1 1/2, and 2 hours after a high sugar snack (soft drink plus something plenty sugary to eat will due, make it count!). If your sugars still stay in that 120 range then really no worries. If they go toward 140 or higher and stay there a while then there could be some issue.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
JanSz,
Considering some of the meals, your postprandial BS are not that high, just on the higher end of normal (which is in line with your HA1C). Just keep an eye on it and try to stick with higer fiber, low GI carbs. You might try your own "glucose challange" at home. It is admittedly not a controlled test, but you will get some idea of how your insulin response is. Just check your sugar at 1, 1 1/2, and 2 hours after a high sugar snack (soft drink plus something plenty sugary to eat will due, make it count!). If your sugars still stay in that 120 range then really no worries. If they go toward 140 or higher and stay there a while then there could be some issue.
I will do just that and report back.

Have good excuse to eat sweets.