5HTP left some nasty sides...arg

Chip Douglas

Awards
A few weeks ago, I decided to try 5htp--I was taking 50 mg or so per day in divided doses, which is low. After about 4 days on 5-htp standalone, I began feeling unmotivated and down, and the libido which has been very low as many here know went even lower.

Then seeing it wasn't helping at all (I thought it might help adrenal fatigue by decreasing perception of stress) I discontinued it, and thought that things would revert to normal which was low libido but still a tiny bit of it.

Days went by and nothing happened. To make a long story short, I'm left with decreased penile sensitivity from the short 5htp course, and even lower libido then before I went on it.

I know that 5-htp can raise prolactin, but cannot really come up with a plausible explanation as to why it brought on what seem to be permanent sides.

Anyone ?

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
Maybe Seratonin imbalance? Similar to those on anti-depressants. Maybe a supplement that increases dopamine like l-dopa would help?

Chip Douglas

Awards
Maybe Seratonin imbalance? Similar to those on anti-depressants. Maybe a supplement that increases dopamine like l-dopa would help?
I think so cause tyrosine helped for a few days, but now for some reason it no longer helps with erection and sex drive. When I have tyrosine 500 mg it makes me tired.

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
I think so cause tyrosine helped for a few days, but now for some reason it no longer helps with erection and sex drive. When I have tyrosine 500 mg it makes me tired.
I use it in bulk its about 5 bucks for a 100 grams. I take 3-6 grams a day. You might want to try Chocamine which is a chocolate extract and it raises dopamine. PEA is also good at this, but I think that L-Dopa is best by far. Maybe a combination of the above. Hope this helps.

Chip Douglas

Awards
I use it in bulk its about 5 bucks for a 100 grams. I take 3-6 grams a day. You might want to try Chocamine which is a chocolate extract and it raises dopamine. PEA is also good at this, but I think that L-Dopa is best by far. Maybe a combination of the above. Hope this helps.
I agree with you the above is a good combo--however I cannot have anything that raises PEA cause it causes me to experience supravenricular ectopy--dark chocolate at a cocoa concentration of 70% and up stimulates the myorcardium more than the CNS. I read this after I experienced it first hand.

Thanks for your input though, I appreciate it.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
I agree with you the above is a good combo--however I cannot have anything that raises PEA cause it causes me to experience supravenricular ectopy--dark chocolate at a cocoa concentration of 70% and up stimulates the myorcardium more than the CNS. I read this after I experienced it first hand.

Thanks for your input though, I appreciate it.
selegine may be of possible assitance here..helps restablish dopamine receptors in the brain which sounds like you could need help with..

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
selegine may be of possible assitance here..helps restablish dopamine receptors in the brain which sounds like you could need help with..
I heard that stuff is pretty good. I know you can get it easily on the net, but I wonder what you have to do to get an RX?

Chip Douglas

Awards
I heard that stuff is pretty good. I know you can get it easily on the net, but I wonder what you have to do to get an RX?
um, you'd have to find an M.D. open minded to offlabel use of drugs, which I think can cause him to get sued. I could be wrong, but you'd have to convince him you have early PD. That being said, Dr. Shippen uses Deprenyl in some patients, so it may not be that hard after all. I just know that very few M.D.'s would agree to give you an Rx for it under libidinous motives or other of this type.

cpeil2

Awards
  • Established
um, you'd have to find an M.D. open minded to offlabel use of drugs, which I think can cause him to get sued. I could be wrong, but you'd have to convince him you have early PD. That being said, Dr. Shippen uses Deprenyl in some patients, so it may not be that hard after all. I just know that very few M.D.'s would agree to give you an Rx for it under libidinous motives or other of this type.

It's pretty easy to buy without a script.

Chip Douglas

Awards
what made you take 5-htp?

i take it sometimes...
suspected adrenal fatigue--wanted to see it it would help in decreasing perception of stress. My main symptom is low to non existent libido and now some ED.

I'm so mad at all of this today, you've had no idea--the 5-htp left me with an even lower libido. Will we ever get ourselves tuned, I don't know, but there's no way I'm giving in despite my high amount of frustration at sexual dysfunctions.

engival

Awards
  • Established
im sure you'll recover in no time..

i was gonna use 5-htp for my PE

Chip Douglas

Awards
im sure you'll recover in no time..

i was gonna use 5-htp for my PE
It's been 3 weeks now, and no luck.

5-htp for PE, I'm positive this will help cause it inhibits NE, whch is the signal for orgasm.

Chip Douglas

Awards
I really am low on patience today, cause I'm so sick and tired of having no libido and now some ED as mentioned earlier.

Doctors tell me nothing in my blood works points to total loss of libido, aside from one doc who said it was low cortisol--it's the only thing that stands out.

I'm truly beside myself today.......imagine this--I crave sex, but can't have it, cause of either low libido and/or ED.......it's SOOOO frustrating, it's unimaginable.

This really gets me down in the dumps...

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
I hear ya mate.

I took 5htp for a little while and it made me feel worse too. Melatonin made it even worse. If its a seritonin or a dopamine issue, how much will that effect libido?

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
I really am low on patience today, cause I'm so sick and tired of having no libido and now some ED as mentioned earlier.

Doctors tell me nothing in my blood works points to total loss of libido, aside from one doc who said it was low cortisol--it's the only thing that stands out.

I'm truly beside myself today.......imagine this--I crave sex, but can't have it, cause of either low libido and/or ED.......it's SOOOO frustrating, it's unimaginable.

This really gets me down in the dumps...
what about your e2 chip you been taking zinc ?

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
If you raise dopamine, will that automatically decrease seretonin?

If not, how does one decrease seretonine? This could be a big part of my problem. Also can you test for seretonine levels?

engival

Awards
  • Established
why would you want to decrease serotonin?

arent dopamine, choline, serotonin, gaba suppose tobe in good balance?

those all needed for good erections and not to have PE

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
No idea..im just throwing ideas around because nothing else is working for me. It doesnt mean im going to go and do it. If 5 HTP makes me feel worse and 5HTP raises seretonin, then I thought maybe I have too much seretonin and not enough dopamine.

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
Last E2 was 33 pg/ml while TT was 427 ng/dl

I haven't been on zinc nope.
TT is a little on the low side. Was that in the AM or PM? Maybe your doctor can let you try Wellbutrin. I am thinking about asking mine to try it out. When I complain of low test symptoms they always want to put me on a d*** SSRI or SNRI!

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
I just thought of this. Have you tried B6 at about 200-300mg ED? I notice a difference on this and its only like $2.00. Be careful though because there have been studies that link it to nerve damage at dosages over 200mg.

Chip Douglas

Awards
TT is a little on the low side. Was that in the AM or PM? Maybe your doctor can let you try Wellbutrin. I am thinking about asking mine to try it out. When I complain of low test symptoms they always want to put me on a d*** SSRI or SNRI!
Vitex helps me to some extent btw--I'm giving it a try and yesterday erections and libido were better and this morning i woke up with woods--not darn strong woods, but woods nonetheless--so it bodes well, but I'll keep my pants on.

Chip Douglas

Awards
I just thought of this. Have you tried B6 at about 200-300mg ED? I notice a difference on this and its only like $2.00. Be careful though because there have been studies that link it to nerve damage at dosages over 200mg.
B6, yep I've thought about it, cause it decreases PRL. I would use lower dosage though, cause IIRC the nerve damage that can result is in part irreversible. Better safe than sorry. B6 can raise libido definately, but it usually is transient, and it takes a few days to kick in.

Chip Douglas

Awards

arent dopamine, choline, serotonin, gaba suppose tobe in good balance?

those all needed for good erections and not to have PE
balance is to success, however when one experiences low libido, he usually is experiencing low dopamine, but dopamine can be increased through many ways : DHEA, Testosterone, cortisol, thyroid, probably B6 too since it lowers PRL, and when PRL is down DA is up, at least at the pituitary level. Vitex is also known to have dopaminergic capabilities. But no doubt all four master neurotransmitters have their role to play in sexual fonctioning.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
balance is to success, however when one experiences low libido, he usually is experiencing low dopamine, but dopamine can be increased through many ways : DHEA, Testosterone, cortisol, thyroid, probably B6 too since it lowers PRL, and when PRL is down DA is up, at least at the pituitary level. Vitex is also known to have dopaminergic capabilities. But no doubt all four master neurotransmitters have their role to play in sexual fonctioning.
Do not forget Gaba, acteylcholine - BIGGEST ONE OVER LOOKED

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
I think it has more to do with erection like you stated in a previous post.
It also prevents a drop in testosterone from strenuous exercise. I think PLCAR works better than ALCAR or a combination of them both.

biker340

Awards
My Urologist put my on Paxil to combat my PE..

Now I can last about 10-15 minutes, which is about all the time my wife wants ,, lol..

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
might want to start ..
Good point nails. I'd start out with natural supplements...

stuff that works for me..yohimbine so far always works

Tribulus (the pure bulgerian kind, not like most companies)

With that said Im taking Leviathan by Palo Alto Labs and it contains both of these ingredients and some other ingredients for fatloss. Since I started taking Leviathan Ive become more horny.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
A few weeks ago, I decided to try 5htp--I was taking 50 mg or so per day in divided doses, which is low. After about 4 days on 5-htp standalone, I began feeling unmotivated and down, and the libido which has been very low as many here know went even lower.

Then seeing it wasn't helping at all (I thought it might help adrenal fatigue by decreasing perception of stress) I discontinued it, and thought that things would revert to normal which was low libido but still a tiny bit of it.

Days went by and nothing happened. To make a long story short, I'm left with decreased penile sensitivity from the short 5htp course, and even lower libido then before I went on it.

I know that 5-htp can raise prolactin, but cannot really come up with a plausible explanation as to why it brought on what seem to be permanent sides.

Anyone ?
How long have you gone without taking anything at all since this happened?

christopher

Awards
  • Established
How long have you gone without taking anything at all since this happened?
There is a test to find out if you are "balanced"....Dr Marianco uses it....

Its a urine panel from Sanesco.....dot net....Problem is, you gotta go see one of the docs that can decipher the results.....

There are only, IMO, a couple of docs in the US that can do it(analyze the results) other than Marianco....

The sanesco test, coupled w/a thorough blood lab, and you hAVE A map to achieve balance....Not a quick fix though....

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
My Urologist put my on Paxil to combat my PE..

Now I can last about 10-15 minutes, which is about all the time my wife wants ,, lol..
What dose paxil are you taking and how offten do you take it.

azr101

azr101

Awards
5htp

This is ironic.

I've taken 5htp for the last three years, Natrol 50mg ED. About a week ago I switched to a different brand because it was on sale. I started to notice depression and anxiety almost immediately with the new brand even though the label showed that it was exactly the same product. I returned the bottle and exchanged it for my usual brand and things are back to normal.