Am I just Getting Old?

Bob34

Awards
Hello All. I found this topic on the board recently and have been reading a bit. It interested me as I am a 38 yr old male and feel like I have been declining in many ways in recent years. I have been active in weight lifting for about 20 years so the topics of Test, supps, hormones, etc are very familiar to me, yet can be quite confusing. I feel like I need to be a Dr just to read and understand this board.

Anyhow, In the last 2-3 years I have noticed a significant drop in my energy levels, sex drive, focus, and just overall attitude on a day to day basis. I used to Love hitting the weights, and now it is just a huge chore. I can take sex or leave it most of the time as well. Overall, I really just get through most days with not much enjoyment at all. What sucks is I have a pretty good life with a beautiful wife, good job, etc. Is this just normal aging? I hate to think of life at 50 if this is it at 38!!

Ok, some specific questions:

I am a type 1 diabetic of 25 yrs. Is this type of therapy, if blood tests warrant, a possibility for a diabetic? I am in good control and always have been. Most A1C's are between 5.9-6.2. However, recently they have gone up to 7 even though I do everything the same and test my glucose levels 8 times a day. It is getting harder to control these as well.

Second: This has probably been answered but I simply could not find it. If you begin this type of therapy, I assume it is a life long commitment? This worries me a bit as the uneducated govt is treating it like crack so i could see a day when Dr's simply won't perscribe it any longer. Then what? Would I be worse off than ever?

Thanks for your time and feedback.

aculpep

Awards
Your story sounds just like mine. I am a type 1 diabetic also for 20 years and on an insulin pump. Same symptoms as you describe and I'm 38 also. I am on a few things but have not started Testosterone replacement yet because I'm trying one last thing before but I will start it if I dont feel better soon. The question of being on it for life is one that I'm concerned about also but I dont think that's true. As long as you have a doctor who knows how to treat you (with hcg along with Testosterone) I think if you came off it i'd be just like bodybuilders who take huge amounts of steroids then come off then by taking certain meds which starts your body back making it's own again. (PCT - post cycle theraphy) Bodybuilders do it all the time with much larger doses than someone like you would be taking just to bring yourself to normal levels. But then your levels would just go back to previous and you'd be back to where you were so not sure why you'd want to. I have decided though that I will no longer waste my life living this way and just eeking through life. I take insulin everyday so no big deal if I have to take something else to feel great again. You only have one life and I've wasted too many years with no energy and mild depression feeling like I'm constantly trying to keep my head above water. I think the absolute key is to have a Dr who truly understands hormonal replacement theraphy. (Dr. John)
First thing to do is to get labwork done. (the correct ones) You wont know anything till then and will just be guessing. Noone can help you here w/o labwork. The guys I'm sure will post what you need soon or you can look in Dr. John's sticky with the labs you will need.
This is a great place with very helpful people going through the same thing. I'm sure you'll find it a great resource. I think you are the only other type 1 diabetic here beside me.

Allen

p.s. In my reading getting your hormones balanced will only help your diabetes and health and possibly lower your insulin use.

Hello All. I found this topic on the board recently and have been reading a bit. It interested me as I am a 38 yr old male and feel like I have been declining in many ways in recent years. I have been active in weight lifting for about 20 years so the topics of Test, supps, hormones, etc are very familiar to me, yet can be quite confusing. I feel like I need to be a Dr just to read and understand this board.

Anyhow, In the last 2-3 years I have noticed a significant drop in my energy levels, sex drive, focus, and just overall attitude on a day to day basis. I used to Love hitting the weights, and now it is just a huge chore. I can take sex or leave it most of the time as well. Overall, I really just get through most days with not much enjoyment at all. What sucks is I have a pretty good life with a beautiful wife, good job, etc. Is this just normal aging? I hate to think of life at 50 if this is it at 38!!

Ok, some specific questions:

I am a type 1 diabetic of 25 yrs. Is this type of therapy, if blood tests warrant, a possibility for a diabetic? I am in good control and always have been. Most A1C's are between 5.9-6.2. However, recently they have gone up to 7 even though I do everything the same and test my glucose levels 8 times a day. It is getting harder to control these as well.

Second: This has probably been answered but I simply could not find it. If you begin this type of therapy, I assume it is a life long commitment? This worries me a bit as the uneducated govt is treating it like crack so i could see a day when Dr's simply won't perscribe it any longer. Then what? Would I be worse off than ever?

Thanks for your time and feedback.

Undone

Awards
You are probably right - you are getting old. It is part of the normal aging process and yes, it sucks. The great thing is you are not like millions of middle-aged men (not that you are one) who feel like you do and their doctor tells them they are just getting older and it goes with the territory.

Thank God you found this informative group. Hopefully you can work with Dr. John or a doctor who has knowledge and experience in these matters.

You described the way I felt less than two months ago. What a drag. Why wait and live half a life in the meantime?

Also, once you get your BW done, you may find there are other things that can be done rather than lifelong TRT. And if it turns out the only thing that can be done is lifelong TRT, so what? You can feel like you do now, knowing it only gets worse, or you can choose to do it and join the land of the living along with the rest of us. BTW , I am age 50 going on 40.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Personally sounds like a test thing to me but I know very little. I know the first step in coming to a resolution is to get some testing done:

1. Bloodwork - Complete Panel Blood Test & Comprehensive Thyroid Panel.

• Total Testosterone
• Bioavailable Testosterone (AKA “Free and Loosely Bound”)
• Free Testosterone (if Bioavailable T is unavailable)
• SHBG
• DHT
• Estradiol (specify “ultrasensitive” assay for males)
• LH
• FSH
• Prolactin
• Cortisol
• Thyroid Panel
• CBC
• Comprehensive Metabolic Panel
• Lipid Profile
• PSA (if over 40)
• IGF-1 (if HGH therapy is being considered)
• T7 Comprehensive Thyroid Panel

Maybe other can confirm what you need out of this list?

Bob34

Awards
Thanks for the feedback guys. Reading this board has given me a lot to consider. The good news to me is there may be options. The only concern I have is being Diabetic and how hormone therapies may affect blood sugar levels. I tried a few of the prohormones when they were legal a few years ago and they did elevate my glucose levels. Allen, have you had any experience with these? My Endo. is completely against this kind of thing so it would be pointless to ask him. I work out and am a bit muscular so of course he always asks if I'm taking steroids. Might be a good question for Dr John I guess.

I know this is difficult to answer, but what are the odds my insurance would cover these blood tests so I don't have to take out a 2nd mortgage? I use Anthem. Anyone have experience w/ them assuming I simply have low test levels and the above symptems?

Thanks again,
Bob

aculpep

Awards
Bob,

I use the pregnenolone cream now and have used dhea also with no affect on blood sugar. Rsearch I've read is that you have to worry more about T lowering your blood sugar not raising it. If you have adrenal problems and you use hydrocortisone then that might possibly affect it but haven't researched much on it. I have had more problems with "natural" remedies messing up my blood sugar than ever had with prescription meds. We should keep in touch and track what affects each others sugars. What prohormones did you take?
Insurance should cover the labs, the hurdle is usually getting your doctor to order them.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Reading this board has given me a lot to consider. The good news to me is there may be options. The only concern I have is being Diabetic and how hormone therapies may affect blood sugar levels. I tried a few of the prohormones when they were legal a few years ago and they did elevate my glucose levels. Allen, have you had any experience with these? My Endo. is completely against this kind of thing so it would be pointless to ask him. I work out and am a bit muscular so of course he always asks if I'm taking steroids. Might be a good question for Dr John I guess.

I know this is difficult to answer, but what are the odds my insurance would cover these blood tests so I don't have to take out a 2nd mortgage? I use Anthem. Anyone have experience w/ them assuming I simply have low test levels and the above symptems?

Thanks again,
Bob

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established

Thanks again,
Bob
I publish long list for testing.
I do these tests once a year, may be 15 months.
In between I do shorter tests.
I do not know about Anthem.
I used to use BlueCros/BlueShield, no problem.
I am 67yo, so I use Medicare now, BCBS is my secondary.
Week ago I got letter telling me how much they paid for my tests and how much I have to co-pay. No co-pay, they covered it all.
Insurance is a system that have to be dealt with gingerly.
Proper documentation is everything.
It is of paramount importance to make sure that doctor put on a paper proper diagnostic code, ICD-9.
It took me a while to get this iron out with my (friendly) doctor.
Actually I did some internet digging and worked with a nurse and doctor just used the numbers she figured out.

It is about paperwork that does not impact doctor's wallet, actually the more patient pays the less chances that good doc is out on a limb having to face scrutiny.
===================================================================================
ICD9Data.com - Free 2007 ICD-9-CM Medical Coding Database
257.2 Other testicular hypofunction 2007 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis 257.2 - Other Testicular Hypofunction
272.4 Other and unspecified hyperlipidemia 2007 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis 272.* - Disorders of lipoid metabolism
601.9 Prostatitis unspecified 2007 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis 601.* - Inflammatory diseases of prostate
780.4 Dizziness and giddiness 2007 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis 780.4 - Dizziness And Giddiness
780.79 Other malaise and fatigue 2007 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis 780.79 - Other Malaise And Fatigue
788.41 Urinary frequency 2007 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis 788.41 - Urinary Frequency
253.3 Adult Onset Growth Hormone Deficiency
255.8 Other specified disorders of adrenal glands 2007 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis 255.8 - Other Specified Disorders Of Adrenal Glands

Anabolic Steroids and Bodybuilding - View Single Post - Adrenal fatigue, does it really exist?
255 Disorders of adrenal glands
For coding adrenal fatigue, I just use the code for Other Specified Disorders of the Adrenal Glands - which I call Adrenal Fatigue
255.8 Other specified disorders of adrenal glands 2007 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis 255.8 - Other Specified Disorders Of Adrenal Glands
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/male-anti-aging/56511-hgh-insurance-coverage.html#post685212
Dr. John 12-17-2006, 06:25 AM
ICD-9 253.3 Adult Onset Growth Hormone Deficiency

BigJimCalhoun

Awards
To directly answer your question, "No, you are actually circling the drain".

JUST KIDDIN"!

TRT is profoundly effective for diabetics, whether Type I or Type II. But you must be very careful to closely monitor your sugar levels once you start, as you will no doubt need to lower your insulin requirements.

Welcome to posting. You are in the right place.
There was just an article in the LEF magazine about treating diabetics with test injections.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established

JUST KIDDIN"!

TRT is profoundly effective for diabetics, whether Type I or Type II. But you must be very careful to closely monitor your sugar levels once you start, as you will no doubt need to lower your insulin requirements.

Take home message.
When supplementing with T
among other tests do

Insuline, serum
Glucose, fasting
Hemoglobin A1C

because insuline resistance is lowered when using T.

Connecting the dots....
Insuline resistance
ARE YOU AT RISK FOR METABOLIC SYNDROME?
Le Magazine, July 2006 - Report: Metabolic Syndrome
The following values indicate that you are at risk for insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome:1

Fasting insulin >= 15 µU/mL

Triglycerides >= 130 mg/dL

Triglycerides:HDL ratio >= 3.0.
also
Central obesity as measured by waist circumference: Men: > 40 inches. Women: > 35 inches.
Fasting blood triglycerides: > 150 mg/dL.
Blood HDL: Men: < 40 mg/dL. Women: < 50 mg/dL.
Blood pressure: >= 130/85 mmHg.
Fasting glucose: >= 100 mg/dL (recently changed from >= 110 mg/dL to reflect the revised American Diabetes Association criterion for impaired fasting glucose).

---------------------------------
The higher the insuline resistance
the lower SHBG
and Leydig cell production
JCEM -- eLetters for Pitteloud et al., 90 (5) 2636-2641

Bob34

Awards
Dr. John

JUST KIDDIN"!

Dr John: Thanks for your feedback. When you say "profoundly effective", what areas does it improve? Stability of glucose levels? Amount of insulin required? I have been type 1 for over 25 years now, and even though I have been under good control I feel as though I am just waiting for the first serious signs to appear. Can this therapy assist in any way with the primary issues diabetes can cause such as Heart health, Kidneys, eyes, and neuropathy?

Thanks for your time!
Bob