Does DHEA supplementation have any impact on the HPTA?

BigAk

Awards
  • Established
Thank you for clarifying this for me Dr. John. As you may already know, I have started supplementing with DHEA at 25mg/day for now.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
I recall a good thread over at M&M, and several studies were presented which support the poition that it does not.

But I suppose if you took too much, which for some is more than 50mg BID, the subsequent estrogen conversion would have to suppress.
For more than a year I am taking 350mg of DHEA and 200mg of 7ketoDHEA.
My starting blood test was DHEAs=118 on Apr2005
My last week result is DHEAs=369
I am still far from ideal level of 400–500 µg/dL
as recomended by LEF
Blood Testing Protocols - Page 3 Of 5: Online References For Health Concerns
Relative to what I see posted on this board, I am taking massive amounts of DHEA.
Any comment, what kind of negative symptoms shoud I watch for.
------------------
I also note that at one time LEF was recomending levels of (500-640), and now they are little lower.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
For more than a year I am taking 350mg of DHEA and 200mg of 7ketoDHEA.
My starting blood test was DHEAs=118 on Apr2005
My last week result is DHEAs=369
I am still far from ideal level of 400–500 µg/dL
as recomended by LEF
Blood Testing Protocols - Page 3 Of 5: Online References For Health Concerns
Relative to what I see posted on this board, I am taking massive amounts of DHEA.
Any comment, what kind of negative symptoms shoud I watch for.
------------------
I also note that at one time LEF was recomending levels of (500-640), and now they are little lower.

Holy smokes! That much DHEA will produce whopping amounts of E. Howver, since your DHEA levels only elevated that much,
it shows your DHEA is not a very good brand, and is not bioavailable.
Very interesting.
Most, if not all my supplements are from LEF, Life Extension Foundation.
I am taking all of their Top Ten (previously Top 12) recomended items plus some more.
Top 10 Most Important Steps For Achieving Ultimate Health

As for DHEA I was mostly taking their 25mg pills, now they have stronger version, 100mg so that is what I take.

Dhea (Dehydroepiandrosterone, Free Base), 25 Mg 100 Capsules

Dhea (Dehydroepiandrosterone) Free Base, 100 Mg 60 Capsules

I will have to check up with them and question quality of their supplies.

From their web site (with their text in bold):
Foundation members are an elite group who are willing to take extraordinary steps to stave off disease,
aging, and death. When members buy products from the Life Extension Buyers Club,
they are assured of pharmaceutical quality and potency.
Pharmaceutical potency means that you are obtaining the actual dose of nutrients used in published studies to demonstrate beneficial results.
=================================
Wonder if there may be another reason for my inadequate response to my large DHEA intake?

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
While bioavailability is a well-known problem with DHEA in general, and actual dosing in a given product in particular, in my experience, LEF products are very good, and reliable.

How long after you took the pill did you have the blood draw?

A 24 hour urijne test would leave no doubt about bioavailability.
Do not remember exactly, but I take these high dose of DHEA for at least one whole year. On the day of the test (8AM), I took supplements (including DHEA) after the blood was drawn for the test. The previous day I took most of my DHEA in the morning. So there was about 24 hours between my DHEA intake and blood draw.

1cc

Awards
Wonder if there may be another reason for my inadequate response to my large DHEA intake?
To improve absorption DHEA needs to be taken with something oily or fatty. Take DHEA in the morning after breakfast with a tablespoon of olive oil. According to LEF, DHEA labs should be taken 3-4 hours after taking DHEA in the morning.

"When having your blood tested for DHEA, blood should be drawn three to four hours after the last dose."

Le Magazine, August 2001 - Briefs: Dhea Dosing And Safety Precautions

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
To improve absorption DHEA needs to be taken with something oily or fatty.
Take DHEA in the morning after breakfast with a tablespoon of olive oil.
According to LEF, DHEA labs should be taken 3-4 hours after taking DHEA in the morning.

"When having your blood tested for DHEA, blood should be drawn three to four hours after the last dose."

Le Magazine, August 2001 - Briefs: Dhea Dosing And Safety Precautions
Thank you, 1cc.

My guys take their fish oil after breakfast with half their daily supplements.
I do not take oil specifically, but I divide my supplements (morning/evening) and eat them with meal.
Most supplements I am taking in the morning.
Dhea Complete, 60 Capsules
is taken twice daily and it contain lots of additional supplements that LEF decided are apropriate.
Then is 300mg of DHEA, then also in divided dose I take
Super Omega-3 Epa/Dha With Sesame Lignans & Olive Fruit Extract, 120 Softgels
that may account for the oils and omega-3
---------------------------------------------
I have a problem with taking DHEA and then shortly after get the blood test.
Usually at LabCorp they want me to come early in the morning and no eating or drinking before the blood draw.
---------------------------------------------
Just got monthly LEF magazine for December.
Reading "At home with your hormones" (page 47) got me thinking that I may be low on Pregnenolone.
My Pregnenolone on 10/20/06 was 23 ng/dL (LEF 180)
So I am far from desired level. I started supplementing with 200 mg right after I read my results.
Pregnenolone, 100 Mg 100 Capsules
Pregnenolone converts to DHEA and Progesterone. Both of them can be increased in my case.
Thanks for comments.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I think I remember Dr D posting a study that showed the subsequent conversion to E from DHEA supplementation was fairly low.

JanSz

JanSz

Awards
  • Established
On quality.
We had a little mention on our supplements quality.
Sometimes we have no choice when making purchase.
But if there is a choice we would preffer to go with quality.
I think LEF provides quality products by virtue of their research and advertising.
Once they have shipped to me second batch of supplements requesting that I destroy the one they shipped to me a week before and explaining that their QA discover that the old one were not up to standard.

There is (possibly more formal) way to go about quality.
There is a Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) certification from the National Nutritional Foods Association (NNFA).

I know that NowFoods have a such certification.
NOW Foods - GMP Certification
If you know of anybody else, please list it here.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
NOW and LEF rank among the best IMO. It's very seldom to hear any complaints about quality about them.

1cc

Awards
There is (possibly more formal) way to go about quality.
There is a Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) certification from the National Nutritional Foods Association (NNFA).
All you need to do is make sure it says "Pharmaceutical Grade" DHEA on the bottle. I use DHEA by "LifeTime", and it is "100% Pharmaceutical Grade" and very cheap and works very well. I only take 25mg per day. I am so surprised you are able to tolerate such a high DHEA dosage. I can only suspect that your absorption is not good.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Not really. There can be some significant conversion to 5AD and related metabolites but that is not necessarily estrogenic in the absence of endogenous, pre-existing estrogen. It will actually amplify whatever is already in your system whether it be androgen or estrogen.

I have been criticized before for recommending a 200,100,50 step-down DHEA dose in PCT, but I've done it many a time and it works well to maintain libido and counter elevated cortisol when liver enzymes are still high and adrenal function re-regulates in the weeks post cycle. If you have ever tried it, you know it helps! It is also much more orally active that most people realize too, but 200mg/d or less is OK even for long term use (months). You will generally not encounter suppression or estrogen elevation. I have read studies that the size of the left testicle of rodents can be preferentially stimulated with use of DHEA, still waiting to see that!

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
5-AD is 5-androstenediol?

If so, please show me the patheways.
Yes, sorry not to clarify 5-androstenediol (5-AD). The majority of endogenous DHEA would normally be biosynthesizes from 17a-OH-preg. DHEA is then mostly converted by 17b-OH-dehydrogenate to 5-AD. Also, trace amounts of androst-4-ene-3,17-dione will be generated from DHEA by the 3b-OH-dehydrogenase and then isomerase pathways, just as trace amounts of 5-AD will be converted to test by those same enzyme systems. Some of these intermediate are prone to aromatize on the 4-ene pathway, but on the 5-ene path (where most of the action is with DHEA) strongly androgenic mixed a/b isomers of the reduced 5a and 5b intermediates will predominate. People say that DHEA is very estrogenic, but that's probably just because that's what they've heard and have never tried it. It is one of the most androgenic hormones I have ever used. I've grown more body hair attributable to DHEA use that anything else over the years. It's an interesting compound and something that I will likely use more and more as I get older. Of course, some may have systems that suppost estrogen formation or expression based of their genes, diet or environement, so this is only my general observation and some may still have probs with DHEA. Very few that I have seen do though even at 250mg/d. Ance is the biggest side at that dose and ~100mg will do for most depending on the specific application.

BigAk

Awards
  • Established
People say that DHEA is very estrogenic, but that's probably just because that's what they've heard and have never tried it. It is one of the most androgenic hormones I have ever used. I've grown more body hair attributable to DHEA use that anything else over the years.
Wow... If it's that androgenic, I can't help but think that it should have an impact on altering the HPTA. But, if it is estrogenic, I surely do not want to mess with it. It sounds like either way, it's not a good idea to supplement with it.

Now; I have mixed feelings on DHEA...

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Wow... If it's that androgenic, I can't help but think that it should have an impact on altering the HPTA. But, if it is estrogenic, I surely do not want to mess with it. It sounds like either way, it's not a good idea to supplement with it.

Now; I have mixed feelings on DHEA...
Yeah, you would think so but it's mostly under adrenal control. It is not a testicular hormone. In massive doses, I would think it has to influence HPTA but at the lower doses I mentioned, it must only influence the HPAA if anything because I've never had an issue with it. It's a good supp when applied properly in the right dose.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
What do you guys think of this one?

Entrez PubMed

I'm tempted to try and repeat the study on my own. I'm not sure if that would really prove anything one way or the other though, even w/ blood tests.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Moyer,

It was studies like that in the mid to late 80's that really got me interested in it too. I read studies that actually demonstrated that fat cells could be converted into muscle cells! That had never been shown to occur before and I forget the mechanism cited but 1600mg/d would make my face break out like a teenager! I can not tolerate over 500mg/d, it's just too androgenic to my skin specifically, but it may be an idiosyncrasy with me alone. If you can tolerate the higher doses, it would be nice for you to share the data. :)

Werewolf

Werewolf

Awards
  • Established
Isn't DHEA dosing supposed to be spread across the day in 3 or 4 doses? I know I have seen studies that showed that.

What is its half life?

Werewolf

Werewolf

Awards
  • Established
Thank you. I remember reading something PA wrote on this same DHEA conversion. However, in the body DHEA supplementation indeed increases androstenedione and (subsequently) estrogen levels:

Am J Med Sci. 1996 May;311(5):205-10.
Dehydroepiandrosterone reduces plasma plasminogen activator inhibitor type 1 and tissue plasminogen activator antigen in men.

Beer NA, Jakubowicz DJ, Matt DW, Beer RM, Nestler JE.

Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) may help prevent heart disease in men. To test the hypothesis that DHEA might exert its effects by enhancing endogenous fibrinolytic potential, a double-blind, placebo-controlled study was conducted that assessed the effects of DHEA administration on plasma plasminogen activator inhibitor type 1 (PAI-1) and tissue plasminogen activator (tPA) antigen. Eighteen men received 50 mg DHEA orally and 16 men received a placebo capsule thrice daily for 12 days. Serum DHEA-sulfate and plasma PAI-1 and tPA antigen were measured before and after treatment. In the DHEA group, serum DHEA-sulfate (from 7.5 +/- 1.2 micromol/L to 20.2 +/- 1.5 micromol/L (P < 0.0001), androstenedione (from 2.6 +/- 0.2 nmol/L to 4.0 +/- 0.4 nmol/L; P < 0.005) and estrone (from 172 +/- 21 pmol/L to 352 +/- 28 pmol/L; P < 0.005) increased, whereas plasma PAI-1 (from 55.4 +/- 3.8 ng/mL to 38.6 +/- 3.3 ng/mL; P < 0.0001) and tPA antigen (from 8.1 +/- 1.9 ng/mL to 5.4 +/- 1.3 ng/mL; P < 0.0005) decreased. In the placebo group, serum DHEA-sulfate declined slightly from 8.0 +/- 3.3 micromol/L to 7.3 +/- 3.4 micromol/L (P < 0.05), but no other measured steroid changed. Plasma PAI-1 and tPA antigen did not change in the placebo group. These findings suggest that DHEA administration reduces plasma PAI-1 and tPA antigen concentrations in men.

Doubling estrone on 50mg QD DHEA?
I read the above as 3(thrice) x 50mg or 150 mg a day.

Werewolf

Werewolf

Awards
  • Established
My guess if you take all your DHEA in the morning, that it will have minimum effect on your HPTA because the effects are basically gone before you sleep. I am also guessing that is the least efficient way to take DHEA and that it really needs to be taken 3 or 4 times a day for most effect because of short half-life. I'm just guessing.

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
My guess if you take all your DHEA in the morning, that it will have minimum effect on your HPTA because the effects are basically gone before you sleep. I am also guessing that is the least efficient way to take DHEA and that it really needs to be taken 3 or 4 times a day for most effect because of short half-life. I'm just guessing.
As far as testing goes my levels were low noraml taking 25mgs morning and noon my levels are now mid range about 438.
Phil

Werewolf

Werewolf

Awards
  • Established
As far as testing goes my levels were low noraml taking 25mgs morning and noon my levels are now mid range about 438.
Phil
So you are saying taking 25 mgs of DHEA at breakfast and lunch raised your testosterone level by what rough percentage?

Is there a reason you did not take at Dinner too?

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
So you are saying taking 25 mgs of DHEA at breakfast and lunch raised your testosterone level by what rough percentage?

Is there a reason you did not take at Dinner too?
My levels came up over 100% my Dr. told me to take it in the morning and at noon. But there is junk out there I take a good brand.
PhytoPharmica DHEA-25, 60 caps, PhytoPharmica - PhytoPharmica Immune System 25% Off
My wife has been sick for yrs. with Thyroid problems going from Endo to Endo not doing any good. She found a new Dr. that treats with Armour and he did a dam lot of testing on her and found her DHEA was low below normal. She come home with the same brand name her Dr. gave her to take. She was told to take the same dose and now after 2 months she is doing great.
Phil

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Phil should they test for dhea or dhea-s for accurate readings in serums. MY pregnenolone serum came out to be 10 (0--200). Is it better to use pregnenolone to raise dhea levels or use both at lower dosage. thanks

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
Test DHEA-S can't say I am just starting on pregnenolone. I am going to do a 10mgs dose starting at once a day after dinner. Then see if my levels come up if not I do 2 a day and so on.
Phil

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
If one has adrenal fatigue (low cortisol) would taking dhea be counter productive since it is antcortical. I am on TRT but dr does not know anything about pregnenolone. At teh health food store there is a transdermal pregnenolone. What is the usualy recommended amount to balance the pathways. I know bioavailabity is the most important thing and orals are 250-30% less bioavialable then creme. I have been takin licorace root for cortisol levels with isocort and I was wondering if this could be cause estrogen levels to rise. Going to get dhea -s, free testosterone, total t, freet t-3, estrodial checked next time to see what is going one. Ever since I stopped the armidex no more morning wood, mental confusion, and decreased exercise tolerance, fat accumulatins an all the fun stuff of estrogen dominace. i need to get this **** balanced. Dr has been very open about things since all others had abandoned me and just prescribed paxil..Go figure

1cc

Awards
If one has adrenal fatigue (low cortisol) would taking dhea be counter productive since it is antcortical.
When one has Adrenal Fatigue, usually both cortisol and DHEA are low. DHEA dramatically improved my blood sugar control (hypoglycemia) and energy level after adding it in to my existing regimen of daily hydrocortisone. The synergistic effect of both the hydrocortisone and the DHEA together was much better than the hydrocortisone alone.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
That was what i was thinking as well, but I never had a dr that was willing to monitor me so unfortunately I never know what dosage to take, plus with having an estrogen problem which is pretty much obvious (lack of morning erection, drop in energy, poor appetite, weight gain, depression) Could taking dhea make it even worse since it converts to estrogen. I found an interesting study where .5 mgs armidex a day for 10 weeks increased testosterone almost 50% after only the second day. Do you think stopping armidex and just taking the testocreme is a good idea just to get a true base line reading. Like I said before my estrodial was 30 with low free and low testosterone so I can only imagine what it is with 10% testosterone. Also found the study show a deficient increase in DHEA with lower estrogen levels.

For pregnenolone 50mgs of transdermal once daily Correct.

What is your opinon of using progesterone if estrogen dominance is indicated or just use the armidex since it is more easily to monitor.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
What have you come across with respect to DHEA-induced hepatoticity at such high doses?
What kind of doses? Like the 1600mg oral doses in that one study? I can't say that I remember ever running across any adverse liver data really. I think 17-ketos are generally very non-toxic due to their ease of metabolism. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you DJ!

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
DHEA has an antiglucocorticoid effect in mammals, via down regulation of the enzyme 11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (11β-HSD-1). 11β-HSD-1 converts cortisone (inactive) into the active glucocorticoid cortisol.

Your use during times of elevated cortisol activity sure makes sense. DHEA opposes cortisol both in its production and at the points of its actions. If you are using an AI during post cycle therapy, however, same would block the conversion of androstenedione to estrone. If not, there's still no way to know what actual estorgenic activity is without testing--which is not valid during concurrent SERM-class use.
Yes. Good point. That is why I have no personal bloodwork to offer in this area! Concurrent use of SERM means you can't get a real estrogen value so who knows. Use of DHEA during PCT is just one of those things you try by chance one time and notice that it worked. Then you try to go back and piece together why it worked. DHEA has good corticometric activity like you say and with or without a suicide AI just works well it seems. I stick to the BID dosing (morning and noon), just because it is a rule not to dose past noon, though only a personal rule and I have no relevant data to validate the significance of early dosing.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I recently saw a DHEA hepatotoxicity study and the range was calculated out to be between 2000 and 10,000 mg per day for humans (based on a rat model).

I think I would die of oily skin and acne well before my liver failed. We have actually seen anecdotal info from guys using 2 grams of DHEA per day for muscle building purposes. They reported excellent muscle hardness and very mild gains in lbm. What their livers were doing is a good question though.

In using low doses of DHEA for my wife..it's been amazing to help her recover from the effects of prednisone(she has UC). I have seen some Drs now recommend DHEA to be taken concurrently with any corticosteriod to provide adrenal support. It also appears that DHEA has a stronger anti-inflammatory property than previously known. Most women though, I have noted, are taking way too high of a dose.

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
My wife has Hashimoto thyroiditis was on Synthroid for 15yrs. never felt good. I got her to stop seeing Endo's and now she sees a Dr. that uses Armour he tested her and found her to have Adrenal Fatigue from being on Synthroid for so long. Her DHEA was below noraml so he started her on 25mgs of DHEA 6 weeks later she was doing better but her DHEA levels were still to low so now she take 25mgs 2x's a day and she if feeling like a new women. Her tests are on the money and now he is treating her Adrenal Fatigue also the first thing he put her on was a script for Fish Oil 3 grams a day. She was able now to start upping her Armour with out feeling Hyper.
Phil
I recently saw a DHEA hepatotoxicity study and the range was calculated out to be between 2000 and 10,000 mg per day for humans (based on a rat model).

I think I would die of oily skin and acne well before my liver failed. We have actually seen anecdotal info from guys using 2 grams of DHEA per day for muscle building purposes. They reported excellent muscle hardness and very mild gains in lbm. What their livers were doing is a good question though.

In using low doses of DHEA for my wife..it's been amazing to help her recover from the effects of prednisone(she has UC). I have seen some Drs now recommend DHEA to be taken concurrently with any corticosteriod to provide adrenal support. It also appears that DHEA has a stronger anti-inflammatory property than previously known. Most women though, I have noted, are taking way too high of a dose.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Just 25mg of DHEA will take a 24 hour urine from reference range of (5-1476) to over 10,000. We also see a flood of metabolites-which is why we must hold DHEA for at lest 24 hours prior to testing.

I have successfully elevated estrogens in several patients at 50mg DHEA BID.
That is interesting. I knew it was highly bioavailable orally but exceeding the reference 10x is impressive! That suggests to me that use of more than 50mg w/out an AI (or SERM at least) could be potentially suppressive?

Mr. V

Awards
I take 10mg of DHEA per day. When I have tried 25mg it results in acne.

I wonder if I could dodge the bullet with a higher dose SR version, maybe 25mg?

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Here's another "pearl":

Those of you on thyroid should be mindful that you may demonstrate hyperthyroid symptoms once you start, or increase dose of, DHEA. That is because DHEA increases activity of D1, which converts T4 to T3.

I learned this from my friend Dr. Neal Rouzier, the "Kind of Thyroid". Dr. Rouzier will be speaking in my Pre-Conference track at the A4M National Convention next week, as will Dr. Mark Gordon.
That is intersting could this be the reasoning that why 7 keto works so well that maybe the increasing the dhea is increasing the ratio of dhea/7keto? or should it claims to increase t-3 conversions. I need to research and find if there are studies back it up that be interesting to see.

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
If you have some estrogen issues and you take progesterone, you are going to then have lots of estrogen issues.

Progesterone has feminizing efects in males.

I have seen many self-appointed "experts" claim you cannot get gyno from, for instance, Deca. Deca is a progestin, IOW a synthetic progesterone. And I have had guys come to me with gyno from Deca-only use.
THAT BE ME LOL my progesterone was out of range pregelone was at 5 but drs response "oh you are just a little bit out do not worry its nothing to be concerned about"
:saw:
I just checked back on all my labs from previous years and estrodial was never above 22 even at 1100 ng/dl of test, but I had only the one reading where progesterone was elevated, but was ignored..

Now in this case HCG would not be appropiate since it does increase progesterone and was possible altering effects of testosterone. Could this be plausible?
Then another dr suggested to take 500 mgs on pregnelone. i politely mentioined "dr isn't the thyroid responsible for converting cholesterol into pregenlone?" He just sat there with a frazzle look on his face. :run:
This has been the kind of medical advice i have been getting for past 2 years suprise i do not have one foot in the grave already.

The kicker of it all was first thyroid test reading 3 years ago was serum t-3 was 10 points from lowest range and ft-4 was at 90% higher, testosterone was 40!! and he offered me paxil and seek psychotherapy.

I like to thank dr john for devoting his time because with there are few DRs that take the time to research and explain things so people can understand. With his information i am learning to avoid certain pit falls before they happen. I may take one step forward but i was taking 3 steps back. Since being on this site and under a compassionate dr who is open minded and enjoys learning new methods. My dr told me if I come up with any new information and there is validation scientifically to back it up then he would be willing to consider it. Now I take 2 steps forward and only one step back. As always for people that help me i always willing to give back as much as i can

raw1973

Awards
How long would it take after coming off small dose of 25mg DHEA for natural levels to come up for testing? I've been taking 25mg DHEA and Pregnenolone 20mg for a month for weaning purposes of HC. Need to do full profile testing.
-Rob

hardasnails1973

Awards
  • Established
Raw coming off HC you need to support adrenals with lifestlye modifications would be the biggest aid in recovery (constant sleep patterns, relaxation techniques, ect) Protocol that might help would be

1500-2000 mgs b5 take first thing in the morning

100-200 mgs theanine every 4-6 hours
1000 mgs vitamin ester C 3 times a day
800 ius vitamin E (responsible for 6 enzymatic reactions down the hormonal cascade)
rhodiola roscea- helps modulate cortisol level (High or low levels) 150 - 300 mgs once a day
magnesium 750 mgs - 400 before bed time with 30 mgs zinc
calcium 1000 mgs
zinc 50 mgs total daily with 3 mgs copper to balance it out

hope this helps

raw1973

Awards
Raw coming off HC you need to support adrenals with lifestlye modifications would be the biggest aid in recovery (constant sleep patterns, relaxation techniques, ect) Protocol that might help would be

1500-2000 mgs b5 take first thing in the morning

100-200 mgs theanine every 4-6 hours
1000 mgs vitamin ester C 3 times a day
800 ius vitamin E (responsible for 6 enzymatic reactions down the hormonal cascade)
rhodiola roscea- helps modulate cortisol level (High or low levels) 150 - 300 mgs once a day
magnesium 750 mgs - 400 before bed time with 30 mgs zinc
calcium 1000 mgs
zinc 50 mgs total daily with 3 mgs copper to balance it out

hope this helps
Thanks- I do take most of the items in your list except the theanine( never heard of it, but will look into it) and I take the cal/mag/zinc in one tab usually in morning and spread b5 1500 throughout the day. Why do you take these at these times? I'm especially curious about the full 2000 mg b5 in morning? Thanks in advance- Also, thanks to Doctor John

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I hate to interrupt this thread with such a basic question, but I'll go ahead and do it anyway. Is taking DHEA transdermally more effective then orally mg for mg? Thanks.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
From my experience yes, it gives a sustained boost and feels different overall than taking it orally. Intuitively, you would recieve a small but steady stream rather than a pulse as seems to be the case with a lot of transdermal hormones.

Hard to quantify the dose you are recieving though.

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
From my experience yes, it gives a sustained boost and feels different overall than taking it orally. Intuitively, you would recieve a small but steady stream rather than a pulse as seems to be the case with a lot of transdermal hormones.

Hard to quantify the dose you are recieving though.
I have been low on DHEA for yrs. when I was on T cream the script said 50mgs DHEA/150 testo my levels were no better then the 25mg. pills I take 2x's a day.
Phil

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
...Is taking DHEA transdermally more effective then orally mg for mg? Thanks.
The kinetics are obviously superior with a TD due to sustained release, so sides are reduced while benefits are optimized, but what's it soluble in?! I can't even get 1% concentrations with ethanolic formulas.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
The kinetics are obviously superior with a TD due to sustained release, so sides are reduced while benefits are optimized, but what's it soluble in?! I can't even get 1% concentrations with ethanolic formulas.
Eh? I'm pretty sure I've seen logs on here before that used Penetrate.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Really? Strange! Few times ago I put 2.5gr of DHEA in 1oz of a "penetrate like" carrier (isopropanol, isopropyl myristate/palmitate, propylene glycol, limonene,....) with no hassle. It got in without even heating.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
On the other hand, TD's are drectly exposed to aromatase in the skin.

Lord, I hate it when my mind waffles! LOL.
I suspect you were still right the first time DJ. You see less undesirable metabolism with TD testosterone and I would think it should be applicable to DHEA as well. I thought this in part was due to steady state concentrations not upregulating inducible enzymes like peaking plasma levels can with oral use, in addition to the affect of extra first pass metabolism. I have seen lots of data on absorption, metabolism and fate of acetate and propionate esters of TD corticoids but am not too familiar with the aromatization potential of unmodified DHEA by TD route. I'll have to look into it because you have me wondering now too!

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Please share your thoughts on this statement.
Well, oral delivery of testosterone results in unusually high levels of 17-keto metabolites (androstenedione). Unfavorable metabolism starts in the gut, not to mention the first pass in the liver like you mentioned earlier and the aromatase induction that a hormonal spike will promote. 17-ketos are exceptional substrates for this enzyme. You may as well take a little estrone! DHEA seems well suited for oral use because it is already oxidized at the C-17 plus it is apparently very well absorbed and I have never been able to find a good TD delivery system, so I had abandoned that concept until you got me thinking of it again, but test is certainly better delivered TD over oral.

Ddono25

Awards
Is taking DHEA with a SERM like nolva as good as taking it with an AI as far as reducing estrogenic sides? With a SERM will their be the estrogen still floating around doing what it does? What about post cycle therapy with DHEA and nolva? I am still confused as to whether DHEA would be supressive or if it would help with getting things back to baseline.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Is taking DHEA with a SERM like nolva as good as taking it with an AI as far as reducing estrogenic sides? With a SERM will their be the estrogen still floating around doing what it does? What about post cycle therapy with DHEA and nolva? I am still confused as to whether DHEA would be supressive or if it would help with getting things back to baseline.
I use DHEA in PCT for libido support and cortisol antagonism. Basically 200,100,50 or close to it for the first 3-4 wks only. It doesn't seem to suppress or deny recovery time and really smooths out the initial phase of PCT. I know a lot of guys who get great results like this, though some still argue against it. You should give it a personal trial to know for sure.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
... Are you using an AI concurrently (which I oppose otherwise--not how I do things, as everyone knows) to inhibit estrogenic conversion from the high dose DHEA, as such estrogen production inhibits HPTA-recovery?
Oh yes, always with an AI concurrently! I'm not as concerned that it contributes significantly to estrogen biosynthesis as I am about it's ability to amplify the effects of pre-existing estrogen though a metabolite called 5-AD, so attenuating estrogen is the safest plan and appropriate at the time we are discussing anyway.