Has anyone seen the recent(ish) typology of male AAS users? Ideas on 'wellbeing' type

psycurious

psycurious

Awards
Hi everyone, new member/poster here. Full disclosure, I am a psychologist and one of my areas of interest/passion is in reducing the stigma and general misconceptions about people who use different substances, particularly AAS.
In 2017, a paper was published that categorised AAS users into different 'types' - not sure if anyone has seen it? I am not allowed to post a URL.
Although there is probably lots that is missing in this study, why I like it is that is challenges the common and lazy stereotypes and caricatures of people who use AAS and shows a number of reasons people might use them - including health, vitality, well-being, anti-ageing etc, and also shows that not all use is 'risky' and can be done safely and in an informed way, in support of improved health.
I am posting in this board because of it's title and focus on anti-ageing - has anyone seen this study or have any thoughts about it?
Cheers.

psycurious

psycurious

Awards
Hi, it is called "Outline of a typology of men’s use of AAS use in fitness and strength training environments
Christiansen, Schmidt, Vinther & Liokaftos

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hi, it is called "Outline of a typology of men’s use of AAS use in fitness and strength training environments
Christiansen, Schmidt, Vinther & Liokaftos
Can you post a link to the study

psycurious

psycurious

Awards
I'd love to but any posts with a link or the 's' word in are being blocked from posting!
I get this message "Post denied. New posts are limited by number of URLs it may contain and checked if it doesn't contain forbidden words."
I guess it's because I am a new and not yet trustworthy member, which I completely understand.

Or Ask Vest Christiansen's Academia edu page !! Full paper download.

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ahhh yes gotta get your post count up first

DaeshDontSurf

DaeshDontSurf

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Here's a "link" to a powerpoint on the study: h t t p s COLON//antidoping.no/sitefiles/1/AskVestChristiansen.pdf - but the actual study is easy to find with the title. It seems to have an agenda when the last slide is ABUSE/DEPENDENCE!!!!

Can't speak for the other categories, but as a 55yo trt only guy - there are negative health effects (especially on the cardiac system) of being hypo-gonadal. I'm happy to stay at top of normal range with perfect blood work. And whats wrong with wanting to look and feel your best for as long as possible? I wonder if they will do an ABUSE!! study on women who go on Estrogen to combat bone mineral loss from Menopause?

BS study as far as the health/trt peer group goes.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I think the stats from surveys of younger people are probably close to worthless. Many young athletes taking PEDs will never admit it, even to an anonymous survey.

psycurious

psycurious

Awards
Yes! I am with you on this - generally speaking I am against the problematisation of all "use" as "abuse" across a range of substances, AAS included. I think this prevents us from identifying true abuse (harmful to the person in one way or another), adds to stigma etc. As you say, women have been prescribed and have benefited from HRT for years. This is an area I am focusing on in my research (updating the classification/description of the health/TRT group). Cheers for your thoughts.

psycurious

psycurious

Awards
Yeah! Completely agree. And add to that when you consider how much PED use is rationalised as "non-cheating", with the use of TUEs and loopholes and 'it's not on the banned list yet so it's OK to use...' etc.