TRT - how to ask doctor for it?

Tyler0628

Awards
  • First Up Vote
So ive been doing a ton of research into TRT, as ive always felt like ive had low testosterone. Even as a teenager, my parents had me go to the doctor to get test injections once every few weeks to "kickstart puberty".

I was planning on visiting the doctor a couple weeks after the end of my current PH cycle when my test levels are low, as i know he will order a blood test.

My question is, has anyone on here looked into TRT, or talked to their DR about it, or is on it and can tell me a little more about it?

Aust

Aust

Awards
My GP had no knowledge about it, he told me. To look for a trt doc. Hence I looked up encourage medical of Tulsa via someone (kenpo) on this forum.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just because you had injections to kick start puberty at age 14ish doesn't mean anything today.
How old are you now?

You're tanking your bloods to get on TRT? That is not a good idea.
How do you plan on explaining the other test results such as your elevated liver enzymes?
What were your numbers prior to the PH cycle?

If he's a decent doctor, he will wait a while until giving you another blood test to see if this wasn't an anomaly.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Can I ask your age? It is possible that you need TRT but you want to start with examination of all possible reasons for low testosterone. The testing above should be done after you are fully recovered from your PH cycle-many months from now after PCT and done first thing in the morning.

dillface02241

dillface02241

Awards
  • First Up Vote
be careful with TRT. It ****ed me up pretty bad as my doctor had no idea how to do it and ended up prescribing way too much. A lot of people think they can just take some test and have an amazing physique while walking around smiling all the time. That's far from the truth.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
be careful with TRT. It ****ed me up pretty bad as my doctor had no idea how to do it and ended up prescribing way too much. A lot of people think they can just take some test and have an amazing physique while walking around smiling all the time. That's far from the truth.
That's terrible, could you please fill in some details here.
How much did your doctor prescribe? How did it ******* ed you up?
Doctors don't prescribe Schedule III drugs lightly.

• Blood tests are involved.
  • A conversation.
  • Usually you are not permitted to self-administer just to name 3.
  • Then follow up blood tests over the course of a year.
Can you describe the process you went through?

sarge40

Awards
I wouldn't recommend rushing into TRT. It's a lifelong commitment. Injecting test once or twice a week, plus another couple of HCG shots on top of that, can get pretty old, pretty quick. Yes, it does become a routine. And yes, it isn't horrible. But, it can become a pain in the ass when you are on long-term travel or have a busy period in your life. I've been on for several years now, and my conclusion is that I wouldn't be on it if I was able to land somewhere in the middle to upper-middle of the normal range, naturally.

That being said, I'd see what your PCT numbers are, assuming you did a PCT. If you are in the vicinity of 600+, don't think about TRT. Those of us who are on TRT would kill to be there. Don't tank your HPTA because some legal juice sounds like a good thing.

If you do need it, several repeated blood tests will show. You will feel the typical symptoms of low T such as low libido, no energy, etc. If you check those boxes and your diet and lifestyle are in check, a knowledgeable and competent doctor will recognize the need for TRT and set you up. A knowledgeable doc will know about the TRT trifecta: Testosterone, HCG and an AI, if needed. The easiest way to find a knowledgeable doc is through a TRT clinic. If you feel like trying primary care docs, endos or urologists, you could be in for a long journey. You may find that guys on TRT in your area can refer you to a good doc, or you can spend lots of time and money trying to find one who knows their stuff. It's amazing how many endos and urologists know very little about, or are afraid to touch this area of practice. It seems to be the stigma of prescribing a steroidal hormone and the association between athletes and the misuse of steroids. I liken it to diabetics though: if you are diabetic, you are deficient in the ability to secrete insulin, and you are prescribed insulin. Why should it be any different if you cannot produce enough testosterone? And don't let a doc tell you that 300 ng/dL is a normal number because it is in the normal lab range. It may be normal if you are an 80 year old man, but you aren't. If you get fed that line as I was several times before initially going the clinic route, it's a good indication that you are talking to the wrong doc anyway.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Very well said! Nice job^^^^

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you really do need TRT, as proven after all diagnostics are utilized, then check out Entourage Medical. They are an AM sponsor and can be found here:
https://entouragehormones.com/pricing/

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My original endo was down to prescribe androgel, but a very low dose. I then made an appointment with a urologist, and wanted to start TRT using shots instead of the gel. Well he put in my file that I had drug seeking behaviour. My GP told me this. So I ended up going to an HRT clinic and paying out of pocket for test shots. Now I've been on it for years, so it's much easier to approach a new doctor for shots now and have it covered by insurance. The whole process shouldn't be so difficult though if you're over 30, but some doctors are a bit tough to deal with. Some people seems to have no problem though and get shots covered by insurance right away.

sarge40

Awards
I forgot to add, as Outofbody mentioned above, that once you have been treated through a clinic, a practitioner may be more likely to continue that regimen, and you can then try to have it covered by insurance. I went that way, but I'm still battling my insurance to get it covered. Even without insurance, I pay about $70 for a 10 mL vial (20 weeks worth) plus less than $2 for 30 arimidex pills (60 weeks worth). I still have HCG on hand from the compounding pharmacy the clinic used. I think that even without insurance, it's not costing all that much, and way less than my clinic was charging. I mention the cost aspect because it is something I think you may want to consider if you wind up going the clinic route.

sarge40

Awards
The price at the link kenpoengineer provided is very good compared to what I was paying, which was almost double that for the same services and meds. If I was in need of starting a regimen I would give them a serious look.