Just Diagnosed Iron Deficient

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. CMV is not that high and often is not clinically significant
    Lyme test is crap ran by lab corp or quest
    Why I suggest MDL or igenix and still then they get misinterpreted majority of the time
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.

2. Haven’t updated this thread for in a while. I supplemented iron off and on the past 8 months (more off than on actually), and my current labs are as follows:
    Name:  1626167B-EDAB-435D-8254-E3218373446E.jpeg
Views: 56
Size:  54.7 KB

My ferritin levels have come up dramatically (lowest documented was a 8) and iron saturation has come up a little (lowest was a 11 or 12 I believe?). The dizziness after every meal is gone, but if I eat a larger meal, my heart rate still climbs to 70-80, and pounds pretty hard. Also feel winded still on occasion but not often. Basically anything that increases my body’s demand for blood increases the symptoms. But the weird one is I’ve stayed up too late, got tired and then get up and move around, my heart rate will climb and pound for hours. Maybe just getting relaxed lowers blood pressure and that’s the body’s way of compensating? Maybe my iron levels still just aren’t optimal for me even though everything is in range?

My ferritin is quite a bit higher, but about 4 months ago I was switched to NatureThroid and have seen several articles showing corrected thyroid treatment brings ferritin up and elevated ferritin in hyperthyroidism.

I thought all this was related to e2 but my last e2 sensitive was a 27, and I’ve tried several different of testosterone doses ranging from 80mg per week to 140mg per week (total).

Anyone have any thoughts?
    I did wear a Holter Monitor for a week about 5 months ago and found nothing.
    •   

3. Just Diagnosed Iron Deficient

What is your current hematocrit? BP? Are you taking a PPI like Nexium? Statin?

Read from the beginning and it looks like you did the same thing I did-over donated blood. This over-donation caused my ferritin and iron levels to crash. Is this correct?
    May I suggest using this app to track your bloodwork tests:
    myBloodTracker for IPhone and IPad
    https://appsto.re/us/vvMndb.i

4. Quote Originally Posted by kenpoengineer View Post
    What is your current hematocrit? BP? Are you taking a PPI like Nexium? Statin?

Read from the beginning and it looks like you did the same thing I did-over donated blood. This over-donation caused my ferritin and iron levels to crash. Is this correct?
    Last hematocrit is holding at 48, consistent for 3 months, brought down from 54 due to losartan and haven’t donated in almost a year. I haven’t had a good blood pressure recently (I.e. when I’ve been relaxed without anxiety) and BP is around 140/80. Every time I was trying to take it, pulse would elevate and flutters would start and therefore, useless BP measurement so I stopped checking. I’ll check again in a few days as symptoms do seem to be improving since starting to take iron again (it’s been 6 days or so, started right after that iron lab draw).

I don’t take any prescriptions except losartan, testosterone cyp and NatureThroid. I’m 99.9% sure the iron deficiency I induced was from donating monthly for a year or so. I’m just trying to figure out if the symptoms I’m still having are just from iron not being optimal (even though normal) yet or something entirely different.

What symptoms did you have? Those heart flutters and increased heart rate are scary.

Other symptoms that may be related: longitudinal lines in nails, dry/grey hair (gained a ton of grey hair this past year, to the extent people think I’m 45 but I’m 34), dry/brittle toenails, dry skin, and tired-looking eyes. Not sure if any of it is related, but none of this was here about 18 months ago.

5. Low iron/ferritin makes my energy levels drop to the point an hour workout crashes me for the rest of the day. No issues with BP, toenails, gray hair or anything else.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by kenpoengineer View Post
    Low iron/ferritin makes my energy levels drop to the point an hour workout crashes me for the rest of the day. No issues with BP, toenails, gray hair or anything else.
    Well, I wonder if those other symptoms are from low iron decreasing thyroid hormones ability to work correctly.

How low did your ferritin and all get?

7. I’ve also wondered if some of my symptoms I’m having are from blood pressure dropping too low from different NO supplements I use and adrenaline increasing to bring BP back up. I started using l-Citrulline pretty heavy around the same time because my e2 dropped and increased my BP (my blood pressure reacts to everything lol). I had already been using Theanine, norvaline (in Slintensity), forskolin, and Agmatine. But probably not. Either way I’ve stopped Citrulline and forskolin and reduced Theanine and Agmatine dosage to see if it matters.

8. Other symptoms I forgot to mention:
    Cold hands and feet (never been someone to get cold ever), and tinnitus.

9. Quote Originally Posted by GreenMachineX View Post
    Well, I wonder if those other symptoms are from low iron decreasing thyroid hormones ability to work correctly.

How low did your ferritin and all get?
    Be aware that low iodine levels will cause thyroid malfunction.

My ferritin was 10 after just 4 blood donations;

10. Quote Originally Posted by GreenMachineX View Post
    Other symptoms I forgot to mention:
    Cold hands and feet (never been someone to get cold ever), and tinnitus.
    This tells me you have thyroid issues. Again, have your iodine levels checked.

11. Quote Originally Posted by kenpoengineer View Post
    This tells me you have thyroid issues. Again, have your iodine levels checked.
    Gotcha. My appt is Wednesday so I’ll ask for that then.

12. [QUOTE=kenpoengineer;5919304]Be aware that low iodine levels will cause thyroid malfunction.

My ferritin was 10 after just 4 blood donations;

when did you start iron and how long did it take to get back to a sufficient ferritin and what was that number?

I’ve read a few things that says that infection and inflammation can increase ferritin while having low iron, and in these cases it would be bad to supplement iron before treating the infection. Not sure what to do.
    Either dropping the extra blood pressure supplements or taking the iron is working though. Heart symptoms are improving.

13. I started iron supplements the same day I received the blood test of 10 for ferritin. A year and a half later taking iron supplements and Iím still in the red or low ferritin.

14. May I suggest using this app to track your bloodwork tests:

15. Quote Originally Posted by kenpoengineer View Post
    I started iron supplements the same day I received the blood test of 10 for ferritin. A year and a half later taking iron supplements and I’m still in the red or low ferritin.
    Whoa! Are you still donating????

16. Quote Originally Posted by kenpoengineer View Post
    Yeah, it’s confusing to me because my ferritin is so high but everything else points to mild iron deficiency.

17. This is often seen in acute inflammation.
    Pmgamer also found supplementing when ferritin has higher was found to be beneficial. If you want true iron status I have doctor's run zinc porphyrin. Very few if any doctors even run this test to cross check iron deficiency

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...protoporphyrin
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.

18. Make sure to take vit c with iron to aid absorption, and avoid any dairy, calcuim, tea, coffee (tannins), red wine, that tend to block absorption of iron (avoid these foods for 2 hours before/after taking iron).

As well as donating blood, other things that can cause iron to tank: internal parasites (ie hookworm), ulcers (made worse by aspirin), low stomach acid (when you cannot get iron from foods), etc.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Benefits Deficiency and Iron Rich Food
    By B5150 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2009, 10:40 AM
  2. How do you diagnose hidden Vitamin B12 deficiency?!?
    By MetalMX in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-09-2009, 01:49 AM
  3. dbol for iron deficiency?
    By washingtonirvin in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-03-2009, 03:34 PM
  4. Just diagnosed with low testosterone
    By Sean1050 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-23-2008, 08:09 PM
  5. Replies: 0