45 y/o blood work results

Sbell71

Sbell71

Awards
Spoke with the nurse this morning to get results. Doc hasn't reviewed them yet. I would like some feedback from you all before I speak with him about what he thinks. Here is what he ordered and the results.

TSH: 2.39
Total Test: 217
Free Test: 52.6
Bio avail: 101.3

Her comments were limited but said TSH was normal, total slightly low, and free low normal. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Sbell71

Sbell71

Awards
I shouldn't have started this thread, copied to another thread I have going. Please delete if necessary

MedRat

Awards
  • First Up Vote
What? You need to speak with someone about those testosterone levels right away. Total test for a 45 year old should be around 800 or better. The range for free test is 350 to 1100.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Labs are invalid with out other parameters
You have low test and needs to be addressed
800 for a 45 year old is unrealistic. 450-600 be doing good provided other markersin check

trn450

trn450

Awards
A total testosterone of 217 isn't "slightly low", that's very low. People often start having some symptoms in the low 400s, definitely by 350, and 300 is almost universally accepted as the cutoff for low testosterone (and that's probably missing a lot of cases, IMO).

Tests should be at 8:00-10:00 AM
Repeat to confirm low T, but this time include TSH and LH in tests (SHBG should be part of panel) so that we now if it's primary or secondary hypogonadism.

IMHO lowest effective dose to reverse symptoms is the best dose. Aiming for a level is kind of silly, and if you go too high then you end up spending a bunch of time fight your estrogen levels. PITA, IMO.