Thyroid Assessment

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
51 yo male on TRT with pertinent values stable in the upper third of physiological range.

TSH - 2.970 (0.35-5.500)
Free T4 - 1.56 (.89-1.76)
Total T4 - 5.1 (4.5-10.9)
Free T3 - 3.7 (2.3-4.2)

Normal cortisol.

Everything looks normal and well within range with the exception of Total T4. It's my understanding that free is more important than total.

Any thoughts?

Mr.TT

Awards
  • Established
The Free T4 and T3 are great, TSH a little high, but not really bad.

So, how are Selenium, Iron, Iodine, and B12 levels?
Do you eat an outrageous amount of raw goitrogenic foods?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Those are the only tests conducted.
No to the foods.
Any thoughts on the normal low T4? Again my understanding is that the free is the significant marker.

Mr.TT

Awards
  • Established
I'm hypothyroid and 20years on thyroid meds (desiccated pig thyroid). I wish I had your numbers.

Here is what I have learned.....
If it is cold, I need more meds, (I live in South West Fl. so it is not really cold. I think you do too. )
hCG acts like TSH, and can push your thyroid numbers around.
People on thyroid meds need a little less when they supplement mb12 or ab12.
Iron, selenium, and iodine effect T4 production and utilization.

Your TSH shows that hypothalamus wants to raise your body temperature, and your thyroid is requiring a higher push (TSH)
to get that temperature higher. Your low Total T4 indicates that your carrier protein bound (storage) T4 is not being produced
fast enough. You are fortunate that your free (unbound) T4 is good, and your unbound (biologically active) Free T3 is good.

I would supplement the known thyroid required minerals and mb12 for awhile, and retest.
Just like TRT you don't want to go on Synthroid if there is a nutritional solution.
You are getting older. Is there a family history of slow thyroids?
I hate to say this, but, MATRIX knows this stuff better than me.

Mr.TT

Awards
  • Established
PS. chlorhexidine mouthwash/toothpaste really interfered with my thyroid. ( I'm getteng old )

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Normal cortisol may be falsely interpreted due to multiple factors. You can never go by cortisol levels listed, need to look at symptoms and total history to get a true evalautions. If their requirement is higher and only showing normal then their levels need to be much higher then "normal" for daily function as well as handling hidden biological stressors. Normally see hyper converters in adrenal insufficiency or low iodine levels.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In....

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
OP, have had your iron and ferritin blood levels checked? Both have an effect on thyroid.