Re-using insulin syringes?

davesavvy

Awards
Is it acceptable to re-use an insulin syringe a few times? If after each use its flushed with rubbing alcohol, i would think it could be used a few times...maybe not? I'm sure the repeated puncture of a vial's rubber stopper does the most dulling to the needle I would guess.

It isn't so much a cost thing but more of avoiding excess medical waste.

BamBam0319

BamBam0319

Awards
Is it acceptable to re-use an insulin syringe a few times? If after each use its flushed with rubbing alcohol, i would think it could be used a few times...maybe not? I'm sure the repeated puncture of a vial's rubber stopper does the most dulling to the needle I would guess.

It isn't so much a cost thing but more of avoiding excess medical waste.
People do it (like Bostin Loyd) but I don't. I can tell it's duller even after just piercing a single rubber stopper.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Just don't. Google pics of a used syringe tip at 300x magnification...looks like a torture device (because it is).

I agree on the medical waste part though..it's an unfortunate reality.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've done it with the 23 gauge pins I use only when I was out and the pharmacy was closed. Yes it sucks pinning with a dull needle

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
After 2 times it will dull. Bostin is last person I be seeking advice from lol

davesavvy

Awards
Just don't. Google pics of a used syringe tip at 300x magnification...looks like a torture device (because it is).

I agree on the medical waste part though..it's an unfortunate reality.
I don't disagree...but I'm sure you would see same with a disposable shaving razor. I (hope) like most, I shave 3-4 times with same razor before discarding. Obviously shave #1 is better than #4, but it's a compromise for cost & waste.

I recently pinned 3 x times w/ same needle...can't say I saw a huge difference.Guess it's a matter of preference & cost. I'm sure someone that pins 2-3x week (i.e. HCG) vs 2-3x a day (i.e. peptides) will have different opinions on this.

All good ;)

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
how about injecting sub-q?

say a person wants t do 50 mgs 3x's a week ?

or even like 30 mgs eod?

BamBam0319

BamBam0319

Awards
how about injecting sub-q?

say a person wants t do 50 mgs 3x's a week ?

or even like 30 mgs eod?
I've been doing 50mg every day, and now 75mg every day of tren ace, but I kinda just jab it in. I don't pinch my skin or anything.

Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Edit: Previous comment doesn't apply to insulin syringes.

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
Bottom line for anyone's safety and decreased risk of infection. Just don't re use any needles. I know some on here have not ran into any issues. However it's just not worth the risk or the time.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
found this

Some precautions to take if you reuse syringes or lancets:

Put the cover back on the needle after use. The safest way to do this is to place the cover and syringe on a flat surface and slide the cover over the needle without letting the needle touch either the flat surface or your fingers. Only the inside of the cover should touch the needle. Do not hold the syringe straight up; you may accidentally stick yourself.
Do not clean the needle or lancet with alcohol. Alcohol removes the silicone covering on the needle, causing it to become dull.
Store the syringes at room temperature. It is best to store them with the covered needle pointing up to prevent insulin from blocking the needle opening.

Diabetes Trends: Diabetes Symptoms Diabetic Diet Gestational Diabetes Health Check: Type 2 Diabetes Prediabetes Insulin Pump
Diabetes Health Center
Tools & Resources
11 Essential Diabetes TipsType 2: New Treatment Options
Exercise to Ease Nerve PainDehydration: What to Do
Smart Glucose Testing Carbs, Fiber, and Diabetes
Share this:
Listen
Insulin: Reusing Syringes and Lancets Safely - Topic Overview
Insulin: Reusing Syringes and Lancets Safely Guide
Topic Overview
Health Tools
Related Information
Credits
Some people with diabetes use their insulin syringes and lancets more than once to save money. But makers of syringes and lancets do not recommend using them more than once. Talk with your doctor before reusing these items. Some people who have diabetes should not reuse their syringes or lancets, including people who have:

Trouble seeing clearly.
Trouble using their hands.
Infections or open wounds.
Some precautions to take if you reuse syringes or lancets:

Put the cover back on the needle after use. The safest way to do this is to place the cover and syringe on a flat surface and slide the cover over the needle without letting the needle touch either the flat surface or your fingers. Only the inside of the cover should touch the needle. Do not hold the syringe straight up; you may accidentally stick yourself.
Do not clean the needle or lancet with alcohol. Alcohol removes the silicone covering on the needle, causing it to become dull.
Store the syringes at room temperature. It is best to store them with the covered needle pointing up to prevent insulin from blocking the needle opening.
CONTINUE READING BELOW
related contentWebMD SUGGESTS
VIDEO
How to Check Your Blood Sugar
Watch Now
CONTINUE READING
Dispose of reused syringes and lancets in safe containers when:

The shot or prick hurts when you use the syringe or lancet.
The needle or lancet becomes dull. Needles usually are dull after being used more than 5 times.
The needle or lancet is bent or has touched something other than your skin.
You notice redness or signs of infection at the place where you have given the shot. Let your doctor know if you have signs of an infection.

use common sense , if it feels dull throw it out.which brings me to my next point.

best to backload? does the slin in hitting the rubber cause quite more dullness than a sub-q injection?

I personally think its a good idea to pinch