Lowering Hematocrit

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Trying to find ways other than blood-letting, donating blood so often etc

Grapefruit Normalizes Hematocrit Levels

Int J Vitam Nutr Res. 1988;58(4):414-7. Ingestion of grapefruit lowers elevated hematocrits in human subjects. Robbins RC, Martin FG, Roe JM. Source Food Science and Human Nutrition Department, IFAS, University of Florida, Gainesville. Abstract This study was based on in vitro observations that naringin isolated from grapefruit induced red cell aggregation and evidence that clumped red cells are removed from the circulation by phagocytosis. The effect on hematocrits of adding grapefruit to the daily diet was determined using 36 human subjects (12 F, 24 M) over a 42-day study. The hematocrits ranged from 36.5 to 55.8% at the start and 38.8% to 49.2% at the end of the study. There was a differential effect on the hematocrit. The largest decreases occurred at the highest hematocrits and the effect decreased on the intermediate hematocrits; however, the low hematocrits increased. There was no significant difference between ingesting 1/2 or 1 grapefruit per day but a decrease in hematocrit due to ingestion of grapefruit was statistically significant at the p less than 0.01 level.

"This study was based on in vitro observations that naringin isolated from grapefruit induced red cell aggregation and evidence that clumped red cells are removed from the circulation by phagocytosis."

Phagocytosis is the cellular process of engulfing solid particles by the cell membrane to form an internal phagosome by phagocytes and protists.

http://blog.caloricious.com/2011/09/...-anti-oxidant/ great read! So it basically acts like Coq10.

j2048b

Awards
Also dont forget hydration! Believe it or not most think they are hydrated well after my er visit this past weekend i found out just how unhydrated i truly was! 2 bags of saline solution thru iv, and a weekend surrounded by gatorade and coconut water along w pedialyte and guess what i thought i was hudrated because i was getting a gallon of water per day.... I was not as hydrated as i should have been and even at that mich water per day... U need to balance out ur salt and water.... Ive seen my levels drop back down to 48.5 within about 5 days and i only gave 225 mls of blood coupled with extreme hydration....

j2048b

Awards
Link did not open anything for me?

Be vary aware that grapefruit and certain orals cannot be used together as it increases the toxicity of said orals.... Can have dire consequences if combined with orals and or certain meds...

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Link is now broken for me as well. Arrggg

Agreed on both the grapefruit intake's effects on other drugs as well as your suggestion regarding hydration ;)

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hydration- "Plasma viscosity is most easily improved with adequate hydration, which can also decrease hematocrit. Research published in the Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine journal demonstrated that dehydration increases systolic blood viscosity by 9.3% and diastolic blood viscosity by 12.5%."

Naringin (the part being referred to in grapefruit)- this helps keep them level. I have always run on the high side, but it dropped mine by almost 2pts. Living at altitude naturally increases this number. Keep in mind that this can interfere with the way your body metabolizes some prescription drugs, so you'd want to verify before taking.

And something I discovered and it is freaking amazing. Nattokinase. It is so exciting for me because I am very aware of cardio and heart health, and this is not widely talked about. Over the course of 4 weeks, I lowered my average BP from 135-138/80 to 125/75 with nothing else added. It shouldn't be combined with aspirin or Warfin as it is a blood thinner.

I really hope more interest is found in this supplement as even my doctor was unaware of all the heart benefits.

http://www.thebestpapers.com/showinfo-16-61239-0.html
http://meridianvalleylab.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Sample_BloodViscosity.pdf - read the intervention suggestion for hyperviscosity
http://www.google.com/patents/WO2007002572A2?cl=en

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good tidbit on the NATTO ;)

Why not a combo of Natto & Serrapeptase?

Check your PMs brother. Thanks

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey bro, I show a sent response yesterday. Did you not receive anything?

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Natto vs Serrapeptase

Jon Barron addressed this in his 3 part article Enzymes:

From Part 3:

A very special proteolytic enzyme called nattokinase has been discovered that has displayed a remarkable ability to optimally balance the clotting ability of blood. Its ability to control clotting *****s that of pharmaceutical drugs such as warfarin, but without any of the side effects or downsides -- making it of value to everyone, not just heart disease patients. Obviously, if you are already using blood thinners, you will need to work with your doctor if you decide to incorporate proteolytic enzymes in your health program. (Unfortunately, most doctors will opt to play it safe (for them, not you) and choose to keep you on the pharmaceuticals.)
One of the "hot" proteolytic enzymes in alternative health right now is serrapeptase. It has remarkable anti-inflammatory and anti-edemic (counters swelling and fluid retention) activity in a number of tissues. And in addition to reducing inflammation, serrapeptase has a profound ability to reduce pain, due to its ability to block the release of pain-inducing amines from inflamed tissues. And finally, it helps clear mucous from the lungs by reducing neutrophil numbers and altering the viscoelasticity of sputum in patients with chronic airway diseases. These are all major benefits, however, serrapeptase has several problems
Its quality tends to be inconsistent
It can cause intestinal distress
It is very sensitive to stomach acid, which means it has to be enteric coated. Unfortunately, the technology for enteric coating capsules or powders is not reliable (which is why you normally find enteric coating used only on hard tablets or on hard beads inside capsules (as in cold capsules).
So is there an alternative to serrapeptase? Yes, it's called Seaprose-S.

It's manufactured in Japan and is of consistent high quality
It causes virtually no intestinal distress
It is not affected by stomach acid so it does not require enteric coating
And studies have shown that it is more effective than serrapeptase -- 85% vs 65%.

Full article at:
http://www.jonbarron.org/article/enzymes-part-3-3

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Rec'd
Thank you!

j2048b

Awards
Good tidbit on the NATTO ;)

Why not a combo of Natto & Serrapeptase?

Check your PMs brother. Thanks
What is the reasoning to use both of these together? And who has the best of both? Im gonna get some natto today

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I posted that question and must have forgot to sent it. I don't see the correlation with Serrapeptase with regards to natto and hematocrit. Is there one that I am missing?

j2048b

Awards
I posted that question and must have forgot to sent it. I don't see the correlation with Serrapeptase with regards to natto and hematocrit. Is there one that I am missing?
Natto also helps break down clotting, correct? and i know either calcium or magnesium helps in making ur blood clot, so i wondr how this would work if taking both? Or should one take natto only for a short amount of time?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have heard nothing but good about Natto and cardio health and I also take ZMA at night, so I plan to run both long term. I get labs ever 3 months and they are about perfect.

j2048b

Awards
I have heard nothing but good about Natto and cardio health and I also take ZMA at night, so I plan to run both long term. I get labs ever 3 months and they are about perfect.
How much test etc... Are u on in havibg ur bw about perfect?

RipdnTxs

Awards
  • Established
I was giving my regular blood donation for keeping my RBCs and Hemo down and my level this time was 46. This is the lowest Ive had in the last few years of donating. The Tech asked if I had started drinking more water lately, I already drink a gallon or so daily. About 3 months ago I stopped all Diet Coke, Diet MT Dew, etc. and now I drink more Tea than ever before. He stated that Tea helps keep iron levels down, I just googled it and there is alot of info on tea having this effect. Pretty interesting reading, may b another way for us HRT guys to have more control over these levels.......

j2048b

Awards
I was giving my regular blood donation for keeping my RBCs and Hemo down and my level this time was 46. This is the lowest Ive had in the last few years of donating. The Tech asked if I had started drinking more water lately, I already drink a gallon or so daily. About 3 months ago I stopped all Diet Coke, Diet MT Dew, etc. and now I drink more Tea than ever before. He stated that Tea helps keep iron levels down, I just googled it and there is alot of info on tea having this effect. Pretty interesting reading, may b another way for us HRT guys to have more control over these levels.......
You say tea, but what kinds? Green, black, etc....

RipdnTxs

Awards
  • Established
At work, didnt have time to read extensively. Google is your friend !!!!!

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established