TRT and Anxiety

Jeffo

Awards
Trying not to make this a long story. I couldn't find much on the board here other than it mentioned it passing.

I'm 49. I have dealt with depression and anxiety most of my life, having gotten much worse in the last decade. I also developed degenerative disc disease, had two failed surgeries and now have a lumbar pain pump implanted. I've been into bodybuilding (body building) and then powerlifting before things got really bad. No AAS or anything. After being on the pain pump medication, my test dropped to about 225. My regular doc prescribed Androgel and it made me terribly anxious and increased my pain. I went between half dose and full dose (5mg), but mainly half. After three months I started feeling more benefits but wanted to switch to injections. So my doc sent me to an endocrinologist. He had me go off the Androgel for 3 months to test my LH and FSH. They're low, and I had an MRI of my pituitary today, just in case it's that. My test is about 125 now. I started on an injection of Test. Cyp. and I have almost the same anxiety, plus the increased pain and I'm only on 100mg for three weeks.

My doc dismisses the anxiety and says that some people aren't used to the extra aggression or irritability it can cause. I wouldn't doubt it's not real anxiety, but just a feeling of overstimulation. I'm extremely sensitive to everything.

He checked my cortisol along with ACTH (sp?) which is fine. My estradiol is on the low end, 19. Other than the usual blood work, which is normal, that's all that's been tested.

There's no way I can go higher than this unless my body grows (get it?) accustomed to it. I don't know what to do. I don't want to say to the doc, "Here is what someone on the internet told me." But if there is something else that should be checked or done, I'd like to know your experience and how you handled it. This seems to be a big mystery. I've been searching and searching, with no answer. Thanks for any help.

FireRescue

Awards
  • Established
Wait.... you are on 100mg of T once every 3 weeks????

Some docs recommend Pregnenolone when on TRT and Preg is know to help with anxiety.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Definitely get another Doc. Your T levels are too low and I'm betting your E levels are way too high which is a perfect recipe for anxiety. Don't get discouraged..once you dial your TRT in you will feel better.

Jeffo

Awards
I completely missed the replies to this thread. Sorry!

I get the anxiety as soon as the T is in me--within about 2-3 hours. So I don't think it has to do with Estrogen. My estradiol before I started the injections was on the low end, 19, along with the Test. This anxiety happened on Androgel and then TCyp a few months later. I just started the injections a week ago. 100mg for first three weeks, then two weeks, then I will be able to self inject, most likely once a week or so. Thanks for any help.

I'm wondering if the test is messing with the rather high dose of Klonopin that I'm taking.

stan08

Awards
Your TRT protocol is terrible.
You are taking enough to shut you down and actually lowering your testosterone.
100mg EW at 50mg E3D would be ideal.

Additionally and in the mean time take a look at this:

Doctor's Best, Best Lithium Orotate, 200 Tablets - iHerb.com

Amazing for irritability and anxiety.
I've just started reading up on lithium (orotate and aspartate) for improved mood and to especially help with my rapid mood swings. Do you have much experience with this supplement? The information I've been reading seems to indicate it's great and I'm curious as to why it's not recommended more often. Especially if it's safe for daily use at low doses.

Jeffo

Awards
Research pregnenolone and DHEA with TRT.

I feel like a broken record anymore, but people need to understand the importance.
I will do that, thanks. I will say that DHEA makes me anxious too.

Onlychevy6

Onlychevy6

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Research pregnenolone and DHEA with TRT.

I feel like a broken record anymore, but people need to understand the importance.
I know what you mean. lol