Long term TRT

-JC

Awards
Hi guys,

So perhaps a pretty random question here...

I'm curious to hear thoughts on long term TRT protocol. For those that have started on TRT at a young age (30+) what are your thoughts/concerns on running this therapy for the rest of your life? Is this realistic from a health?...As well as insurance perspective? I realize it is somewhat of a life long treatment though is it really realistic? Can you maintain a TRT therapy while you are in your 70s, 80s, 90s? Or at some point do you just decide to stop and accept low T in your golden years?

Quick background on me...I just came off TRT after one year as I just didn't feel the expected results I thought I would achieve. The only positive result was increased libido and some increased mood. The down side for me was increased anxiety. I just didn't seen increased muscle or any cognitive benefit or really much increase in well being.

Well being was my primary goal as I was just feeling totally unmotivated prior to TRT. I actually felt great for the first month, and then everything seemed to go back to "normal". So I gave it a year and decided the the pros didn't outweigh the cons.

So now that I've been off for six weeks I'm feeling a bit down, gained ten pounds, hard to put together thoughts, and not feeling motivation to get to the bedroom. I'm considering going back on TRT. However now I'm thinking if I go back on then it is for life...and is that realistic?

Perhaps I just had a less than experienced doctor. They didn't seem to look at anything outside of low testosterone as the culprit. I was going to a (not sure if I can list their name here)...however it was a TRT clinic that advertises on the radio a lot.

Anyway, I know this was a bit of a ramble..but perhaps someone with similar thoughts or can relate could chime in here?

Oh and I'm 38 and my initial Test score was 318 before starting TRT. I plan to retest this week if I can find a good doc in the Dallas, Fort worth area. Any referrals would be great.

Cheers

-JC

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Newbie to TRT here at age 53. Very good questions. Did you monitor blood work? What was your E2 levels? There are many factors besides actual test that affect mood and health.

-JC

Awards
I did...bloodwork tested about every six weeks. First test my E2 came in the upper range so they put me on an AI...new doc came in and said I didn't need it after the second six weeks tests. With or without the AI I really couldn't tell a difference either so I'm unsure if E2 had any effect either way on my results. I was also on 100 Test cyp./week.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Too many variables to say what happened with you or what testing you did prior to getting on. I personally went through a 6 month period of running labs, adjusting lifestyle, getting an MRI, dexa scan, etc before making the decision. Too many guys go get a testosterone test and then jump on without knowing if it is needed.

As far as your questions on long term use. I know guys that have been on for 20+ years and are healthier than anyone their age. I would never stop unless absolutely had to and will do anything in my power as I get older to keep an edge and be the best I can be.

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
kisaj,

Good points I have been on TRT for over 33 yrs and even co. mod. at some forums on low T today I am 70 yrs old. Five yrs. ago I had open heart bypass surgery. And to tell you about how good TRT is for you if your low the heart Dr. took me off TRT when he did the bypass even when it was in my chart not to.

My surgery went well but I got a very bad infection in my sternum that they could not fix and I was put into a coma for 14 weeks. My Family Dr. that treats my low T heard I was not doing well and came to see me in the ICU when he seen I was off TRT he had a fit and made the heart Dr. put me back on TRT then I started to get better.

All I can tell you is I can't live with a low level in the mid 300's I keep my TT levels up into the upper 1/3 of my labs range and I keep my Estradol levels down to about 15 to 20 pg/ml. I do Test C shots E3D and the day before the Test C shot I do 250 IU's of HCG E3D. I am secondary due to a head injury. I need to treat all my hormones but can't do GH the sides are to much for me.
Too many variables to say what happened with you or what testing you did prior to getting on. I personally went through a 6 month period of running labs, adjusting lifestyle, getting an MRI, dexa scan, etc before making the decision. Too many guys go get a testosterone test and then jump on without knowing if it is needed.

As far as your questions on long term use. I know guys that have been on for 20+ years and are healthier than anyone their age. I would never stop unless absolutely had to and will do anything in my power as I get older to keep an edge and be the best I can be.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Scary to see someone in their 70s saying they can't live with a Test level in the 300's. I'm 41 and my level is 320 but doc won't put me on because I'm "in range".

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Scary to see someone in their 70s saying they can't live with a Test level in the 300's. I'm 41 and my level is 320 but doc won't put me on because I'm "in range".
That is the scarier thing. The range is for men 18-90 years old. If I were 70, I wouldn't want the bottom level test range of a 90 year old either.

Basically your doctor is saying that you are normal for a 90 year old.

-JC

Awards
Appreciate the responses and insight guys. To the point of too many guys jumping in without knowing it's need...I agree and probably true in may case to an extent. Though I did verify all blood work and seemed the only item that stuck out was test numbers. Then again the "firm" I chose is a rapidly growing test clinic, and their only focus is testosterone. My GP docs response when asking about my concerns was "eh it's normal you are just getting older". Looks like I'm on the hunt for a new doctor...

thanks again

steak taco

steak taco

Awards
Time to find a new doc :)

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
Hi T-Bone,

Read this link it's about T levels for men by age not on TRT your level is for a man between the age of 85 - 100 yrs. of age.
Dr.'s that go by people being in range but at the bottom of it don't know what they are doing they just scan over labs fast looking for levels flaged out of range he might not even have seen your T levels on the test. Run from this Dr. your in the UK right this is the crap Dr.'s do there find a privet Dr.

Go to this site talk to Nick he will help you find a Dr. that will test and treat you.
http://www.androids.org.uk/
http://www.mens-hormonal-health.com/normal-testosterone-levels-in-men.html

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hi T-Bone,

Read this link it's about T levels for men by age not on TRT your level is for a man between the age of 85 - 100 yrs. of age.
Dr.'s that go by people being in range but at the bottom of it don't know what they are doing they just scan over labs fast looking for levels flaged out of range he might not even have seen your T levels on the test. Run from this Dr. your in the UK right this is the crap Dr.'s do there find a privet Dr.

Go to this site talk to Nick he will help you find a Dr. that will test and treat you.
http://www.androids.org.uk/
http://www.mens-hormonal-health.com/normal-testosterone-levels-in-men.html

I'm in the US. Thanks for the links though, I'll take a look.