fat and hormones/aging

vkg1

Awards
I am one of those skinny bastards who always had a 6 pack even when I didn't work out at all. Then the 30s came. At first my six pack wasn't as noticable as it once was. Now in my late 30s I realize that it's basically gone. There's an obvious layer of pudge sitting above it.

Can anyone answer the following hypothetical question:

If it was possible to keep identical hormones from your teens till your 40s, would you basically keep the same body composition? In other words, is "middle-age spread" caused first and foremost by changes in our hormones?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No, it involves mainly diet and a sedentary lifestyle in combination with hormonal changes. If you get your hormones optimal and still live the same way, you will look the same way. People think they eat fine and are active, but if they looked back they would realize how much it has changed.

vkg1

Awards
Well, when I was young I ate total garbage because there seemed to be no reason not to, whereas now I actually eat pretty healthily. I also am more active, as I have switched to not having a car and walking everywhere.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
To many variables to consider especially environmental ones which are making the biggest impact on our chemistry due to increase inflammation

vkg1

Awards
Young people have the same exposure to environmental variables as old people, no? So you are saying that people get inflammation more easily when they are older than when they are young and that that is a primary cause of "middle-age spread"?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think the bigger question is why ears and noses continue to grow.