About to start TRT with a whole slew of problems

JReinhal

Awards
  • Established
I am 36 years old, 215, exercise, eat well, etc. I get blood work done every year, each showing my testosterone falling lower and lower. These most recent results, which I had done a couple weeks ago (I can post if requested), showed a T level of 328. Using this, Ive been able to get a prescription for TRT with a male health clinic.
Here are my concerns, I have been battling very high blood pressure. My primary care is the VA and as of last week they have put me on BP medication to try to control my BP that can get as high as 190/100. Im 3 days in on a beta blocker. Yesterday I had to go to the ER due to my BP hitting high levels again. While at the ER, they found I had high D-dimer levels which apparently is a biomarker used to detect clotting. They checked me for a lung clot which I did not have, then sent me on my way.
So, here I am with high BP which the VA and I are trying to correct, as well as a biomarker showing I have high clotting potential. Should I even introduce TRT into the mix at this time?
I know that's a lot of info and I apologize. Im just trying to sort this all out and I do not have a lot of knowledgeable sources.

JReinhal

Awards
  • Established
No. Get your bp under control then consult with your doctor about trt.
Thank you for that reply. This is causing me an unnecessary amount of stress. I feel as though because Ive purchased the TRT, I need to start using it right away.

rfarns01

Awards
Thank you for that reply. This is causing me an unnecessary amount of stress. I feel as though because Ive purchased the TRT, I need to start using it right away.
I would think starting with a conservative dose of 40 mg 2x per week would be safe, then tiltrate up if ok. Keep a close eye on your red blood cells, also wouldn't hurt to take a baby aspirin and drink tons of water.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do not touch TRT until you address that blood pressure. Work with a doctor.

I swear that every anti-aging clinic should be shut down. They are disgusting.

JReinhal

Awards
  • Established
Thank you all for these wonderful replies. Ive been fairly stressed about this for the past few weeks and do not have a lot of sources to turn to.
My primary care is the VA and to be quite honest, they look at my testosterone levels and don't really seem to want to do anything about it. I have had hypothyroid for about 10 years which the VA has been treating via medication. My Testosterone has been in the lower 400s for most of my adult life. It was just this last set of blood work that is dropped to low 300s. My E2 is also very low.
My two medical sources to help me through this are the VA and Men's Health Clinic. The VA is helping me with BP and thyroid but do not really want to address testosterone. That is why I am here.
Again, thank you all. Very much.

JReinhal

Awards
  • Established
Here are some numbers form my most recent blood work (I have yet to start TRT):

RBC.......................6.4...............3.4-10.8
Hematocrit.............49.2 ............37.5-51.0 %
Testosterone..........329..............348-1197 ng/dL
Free Test...............8.3 ...............8.7-25.1 pg/mL
Hemoglobin A1c....5.7............... 4.8-5.6 %
DHEA-Sulfate .......171.4 ..........102.6-416.3 ug/dL
TSH ......................4.830 ...........0.450-4.500 uIU/mL
LH ........................2.8 ................1.7-8.6 mIU/mL
FSH......................3.4................ 1.5-12.4 mIU/mL
Prolactin .............10.8................4.0-15.2 ng/mL
Estradiol, Sen ......8 ...................3-70 pg/mL
SHGB .................15.3 ..............16.5-55.9 nmol/L

Trt trt

Awards
Your tsh says you still have a thyroid problem. I'm no expert but that is almost certain. Your treatment from the VA is not working adequately for your hypo. You need a complete thyroid panel, you will discover more with that. Your low shgb could be caused by thyroid also.

JReinhal

Awards
  • Established
Your tsh says you have a thyroid problem. I'm no expert but that is almost certain. You need a complete thyroid panel, you will discover more with that. Your low shgb could be caused by thyroid also.
You're absolutely correct. I am currently on thyroid medication through the VA. They increased the dose last month when my TSH was actually a bit higher.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

I'm going with him 100%. You may not even need to be on trt at all. There are a dozen factors that, if resolved, could easily double that number. Too many risks and unanswered questions here....

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You need a complete thyroid panel, you will discover more with that. Your low shgb could be caused by thyroid also.
Again, fantastic advice. Get to a real doc/endo. And if you're feeling froggy, throw in a naturopath, get a DNA analysis, adrenal test, and food allergies, including gluten.
Clotting is also genetic btw

JReinhal

Awards
  • Established
I'm going with him 100%. You may not even need to be on trt at all. There are a dozen factors that, if resolved, could easily double that number. Too many risks and unanswered questions here....
I really hope that's the case! Thank you.

Trt trt

Awards
I'm still trying to get my thyroid straightened out hoping that I won't need trt. The knowledgeable ones says to really try to straighten out as many other issues as possible first. Your thyroid still needs work.

JReinhal

Awards
  • Established
My estrogen has been dirt low ever since I started testing. From what Ive read, estrogen that low can cause the symptoms Ive been having. Im just not sure how to increase it.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Google it.

Also, see what else you can do, from all angles, including diet for thyroid, along with what a knowledgeable endo suggests. Hopefully its one that is open to different treatment options, not just throw synthetic thyroid at it.

j4ever41

Awards

I agree, to put your health first is to forget about the male health/anti-aging clinics

Hammer57

Awards
TRT Options

Testosterone therapy will likely raise your hematocrit and hemoglobin somewhat. In some people it raises it too high and therefore the blood becomes heavy and viscous which could result in clotting and a potential stroke. I would wait until your condition is stable before attempting TRT.