Symptoms of low T. Test in low normal range.

glipp

glipp

Awards
I am 46 yrs old and am constantly fatigued (take naps every night when I get home from work), low libido, ED, depressed mood, etc. I went to my Dr. and got my T tested. The "Testosterone, ultrasensitive, LC MS/MS" was 494. Testosterone free was 63.6. My Dr said my testosterone is within the normal range, which they state is 250-1100 ng/dl and 35-155 pg/ml. Basically stated they don't prescribe TRT unless test is below the normal range. This is my general practitioner at Kaiser. Feel like something is definitely wrong. Would you ask for a referral to an endocrinologist? Further testing? I am reading the book "Keep it Up: The power of precision medicine to conquer low T and revitalize your life" by Florence Comite and am just beginning to get a handle on all the info. but am enjoying the concepts in the book of fine tuning your medical care to optimize your health and do preventative/anti aging medicine. I am really looking to optimize my health, not just trying to get a testosterone prescription to enhance my physique. Any suggestions are appreciated.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your numbers are almost perfect for your age and most wont treat you as a result.

Over the years I have seen dozens of men come on the board reporting symptoms that they are sure are a result of low test to only find out that their numbers are fine. Then there are the case where a guy comes on with low numbers and zero symptoms.

I would look into a sleep study for sleep apnia as well as discontinuing naps so late in the day. Sleep routine and hygene are increasingly important to my physical and emotional well being as I age.

texastea

Awards
A number of things can cause the symptoms mentioned. You should get a full blood profile done and post results.

glipp

glipp

Awards
Your numbers are almost perfect for your age and most wont treat you as a result.

Over the years I have seen dozens of men come on the board reporting symptoms that they are sure are a result of low test to only find out that their numbers are fine. Then there are the case where a guy comes on with low numbers and zero symptoms.

I would look into a sleep study for sleep apnia as well as discontinuing naps so late in the day. Sleep routine and hygene are increasingly important to my physical and emotional well being as I age.
Appreciate the response. I am planning on returning to my Dr. so I will mention a sleep study to her. I think sleep apnia could be a real possibility. I also
Drink quite a bit of caffeine ie: coffee, diet soda, green tea throughout the day. I know this is not good, but with my fatigue I have a hard time cutting back, also honestly the soda's etc. are a bit of a treat to keep me motivated through my work day, as I eat pretty clean.

glipp

glipp

Awards
A number of things can cause the symptoms mentioned. You should get a full blood profile done and post results.
Thanks for your reply as well. As I mentioned, I plan to return to my Dr., so I will ask for a full blood profile as well.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Appreciate the response. I am planning on returning to my Dr. so I will mention a sleep study to her. I think sleep apnia could be a real possibility. I also
Drink quite a bit of caffeine ie: coffee, diet soda, green tea throughout the day. I know this is not good, but with my fatigue I have a hard time cutting back, also honestly the soda's etc. are a bit of a treat to keep me motivated through my work day, as I eat pretty clean.
Although not for the reasons of your starting this thread, I recently cut out virtually all soft drinks and almost all highly refined carbs.

I feel so much better, and I am loosing fat at a nice pace.

thegodfather

thegodfather

Awards
  • Established
It's a vicious cycle, and I know exactly how you feel. You can't sleep so you drink a bunch of caffeine to make it through the day which just exacerbates the not sleeping. It's like trying to run a car on a cup of bad gas. You won't get very far yet you keep adding the cup. Maybe try and plan a couple days of rest where you totally eliminate soft drinks and caffinated beverages and let your body "reset" into a more normal circadian rhythm.

glipp

glipp

Awards
It's a vicious cycle, and I know exactly how you feel. You can't sleep so you drink a bunch of caffeine to make it through the day which just exacerbates the not sleeping. It's like trying to run a car on a cup of bad gas. You won't get very far yet you keep adding the cup. Maybe try and plan a couple days of rest where you totally eliminate soft drinks and caffinated beverages and let your body "reset" into a more normal circadian rhythm.
I think for me it would probably work better to start by eliminating soda, then coffee, and then finally Green Tea. But I am really curious to see how I would feel without the caffeine.

bachelard

Awards
Strange. I am also with Kaiser and had the same kind of symptoms you mentioned. I also tested "low normal" testosterone, but the doctor did decide to put me on TRT. It made a big difference. (Testosterone in injectable form is now on the Kaiser formulary.)

I also have sleep apnea and have been prescribed sleep studies. I've never followed through because I have numerous friends who have been prescribed the Darth Vader mask to wear at night. Every one of them gave up using it. I have heard there's an improved technology now, but I've not investigated it.

glipp

glipp

Awards
Strange. I am also with Kaiser and had the same kind of symptoms you mentioned. I also tested "low normal" testosterone, but the doctor did decide to put me on TRT. It made a big difference. (Testosterone in injectable form is now on the Kaiser formulary.) I also have sleep apnea and have been prescribed sleep studies. I've never followed through because I have numerous friends who have been prescribed the Darth Vader mask to wear at night. Every one of them gave up using it. I have heard there's an improved technology now, but I've not investigated it.
Yeah, I went back to see my Dr. yesterday. I am going to get a full battery of tests including CBC and Total and Free Test, again. I am also getting a sleep study done, and I am going to follow through, even if it means wearing the Darth Vader Mask, as I am tired of being tired all the time. Will report back on my test results here when I get them. Thanks for everyone's help.

glipp

glipp

Awards
O.K., so I received the results of my very extensive blood tests. Some of these may not even be relative here, but I will list them anyway, as I honestly don't know much about alot of these tests, beyond the Testesorone, Cholesterol and basic tests of that nature. Anyway here are the results, The test itself is listed first, the normal range for that test and then my result:

The tests:
TESTOSTERONE, ULTRASENSITIVE, LC MS/MS 250 - 1100 ng/dL my result: 514; Testosterone free, no normal range listed My result: 66.2; Estradiol <=50 pg/mL my result: <50; Dihydrotestosterone 16 - 79 ng/dL my result: 29; DHEA-S <=560 ug/dL my result: 48; Homocysteine <=12.0 umol/L my result: 6.3; ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE 37 - 117 U/L my result: 55; WBC COUNT 3.5 - 12.5 K/uL my result: 5.4 ; Hgb 13.0 - 17.0 g/dL my result: 13.7; Hematocrit 39.0 - 51.0 % my result: 41.1; MCV 80 - 100 fL my result: 96; RDW, RBC 12.0 - 16.5 % my result: 12.7; Platelets count 140 - 400 K/uL my result: 204; ALT 0 - 36 U/L my result: 29; Ferritin 22 - 365 ng/mL my result: 139; Iron 50 - 212 ug/dL my result: 114 ; Iron binding capacity, unsaturated 110 - 370 ug/dL my result:169; Total iron binding capacity 228 - 428 ug/dL my result: 283; Transferrin % saturation 14 - 57 % my result: 40; AST 10 - 40 U/L my result: 22; GLUCOSE, RANDOM 60 - 159 mg/dL my result:79; Insulin 4 - 29 uIU/mL my result: <2; Vitamin B12 >=200 pg/mL my result: 998; VITAMIN D, 25-HYDROXY 20 - 79 ng/mL my result: 24; Cholesterol <=239 mg/dL my result: 154; Triglyceride <=199 mg/dL my result:42; HDL >=40 mg/dL my result: 52; Low density lipoprotein calculated <=129 mg/dL my result: 94; Glucose, fasting 60 - 99 mg/dL my result: 79; ESTIMATED AVERAGE GLUCOSE 85 - 126 mg/dL my result: 111; Hgb A1c % 4.6 - 6.0 % my result: 5.5; Potassium 3.5 - 5.3 mEq/L my result: 4.3; Creatinine <=1.34 mg/dL my result: 0.98; Glomerular filtration rate, nonAfrican American >=60 mL/min my result: >60;

So that is all of it. Anyone have any thoughts? I thought it looked pretty good. The only test that is out of the normal range is Insulin, which came in below the standard range. I have emailed my Dr asking her about her opinion on this test.

oogaly_boogal

oogaly_boogal

Awards
  • Established
Get your thyroid checked

Edit: I know 21 year olds with less testosterone than you

glipp

glipp

Awards
Get your thyroid checked

Edit: I know 21 year olds with less testosterone than you
Are you saying this based on something you saw in the tests. If so what was the test? I want to be able to point it out to my Doc. Thanks for the feedback

oogaly_boogal

oogaly_boogal

Awards
  • Established
Nothing in particular stands out (at least to me). I bring that up because it fits your symptoms, thyroid problems can in fact cause low testosterone in men. Your levels seem normal, but what's normal for one man isn't for another as the scale is pretty indecisive

Mr.TT

Awards
  • Established
FT should have a lab range, without it, this number is worthless. E2 range is unclear.
Your D3 is low, like everyone who does not supplement. YOUTUBE (Dr. Stasha Gominak )
Your DHEAs is a problem. DHEA is needed to make TEST.
DHT is really low.

itz4you2

Awards
Newbie here. Just got draw results, only my test and free test was included. My total test is 752 ng/dl, Free test 12 ng/dl. Im 60 yrs young. Any comments on that level? Thanks!

glipp

glipp

Awards
FT should have a lab range, without it, this number is worthless. E2 range is unclear.
Your D3 is low, like everyone who does not supplement. YOUTUBE (Dr. Stasha Gominak )
DHT is really low.
Appreciate the feedback. Any recommendations based on what you saw? One thing about the DHEA, I am fighting hair loss, and I have heard if you supplement with DHEA this can increase hair loss.

oogaly_boogal

oogaly_boogal

Awards
  • Established
D3 can't just be supplemented for a lot of people injestion is useless

oogaly_boogal

oogaly_boogal

Awards
  • Established
DHT is really low.
You're wrong dhea creates androgens and estrogens, but MOST testosterone is created by leydig cells converting cholesterol to test

oogaly_boogal

oogaly_boogal

Awards
  • Established
So how do you get it if not injesting it in pill form?
Vitamin D? Go get some good ol' sun. A lot of people can't really utilize it orally. I'm without a computer at the moment or I'd share information and the lot.

Mr.TT

Awards
  • Established
Vitamin D? Go get some good ol' sun. A lot of people can't really utilize it orally. I'm without a computer at the moment or I'd share information and the lot.
PLEASE share with us your 25-hydroxy vitamin test results (and range) that you have achieved by sunlight.

oogaly_boogal

oogaly_boogal

Awards
  • Established
im going to assume you think vitamin d is created only in labs.

it's known most multis are crap anyways.

UVB beds can help