High hemoglobin and hematocrit levels?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. New Member
    bigt405's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  292 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    9328
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    11.57%

    High hemoglobin and hematocrit levels?


    Has anyone else had issues with these levels being high and if so what was the answer for keeping them normal? For back ground I am on test cyp @ 100 ew. My hemoglobin was 18.1 and hematocrit was 56.1.

  2. Registered User
    Swanson52's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,075
    Rep Power
    532237
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    47.44%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I've reduced hematocrit by 5 points with grapefruit. One whole per day dropped mine from 54 to 49 in the course of about a month.

    Hemoglobin...sorry, I've got nothin there.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  3. New Member
    bigt405's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  292 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    9328
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    11.57%

    As bad as I hate grapefruit it looks like I will have to give that a try because the only plan my doctor has is getting off the test.....
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    Matthersby's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  241 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,707
    Rep Power
    217237
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    4.59%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bigt405 View Post
    Has anyone else had issues with these levels being high and if so what was the answer for keeping them normal? For back ground I am on test cyp @ 100 ew. My hemoglobin was 18.1 and hematocrit was 56.1.
    If you and your Doc are happy where your T levels are but this is your only problem, you might want to look at donating blood. You don't want these getting too far out of range....
  5. Senior Member
    Matthersby's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  241 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,707
    Rep Power
    217237
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    4.59%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    H&H values:
    Hematocrit:
    Normal Adult Male Range 41 - 53 percent
    Hemoglobin:
    Normal Adult Male Range: 13.5 - 17.5 g/dL
  6. New Member
    bigt405's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  292 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    9328
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    11.57%

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthersby View Post

    If you and your Doc are happy where your T levels are but this is your only problem, you might want to look at donating blood. You don't want these getting too far out of range....
    Yep. These are the only issues. The t levels are good and I feel great. I will give blood and eat the grapefruit and get my levels checked again. Thanks for the replies...
  7. Senior Member
    Matthersby's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  241 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,707
    Rep Power
    217237
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    4.59%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bigt405 View Post

    Yep. These are the only issues. The t levels are good and I feel great. I will give blood and eat the grapefruit and get my levels checked again. Thanks for the replies...
    They aren't too bad yet. But your doctor is unfortunately justified in wanting to take you off. If a person's hematocrit remains elevated above a certain level for a period of time, he or she may be at high risk of blood clots, heart disease, or stroke. So do whatever you have to in order to stay "on" but keeping yourself out of harms way is #1.....
  8. Professional Member
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,212
    Rep Power
    430707
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    80.58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Your levels aren't that bad, mine were MUCH higher. 20.5 and 62. I decreased mine by lowering dose and injecting more frequently.

    The problem w trying to donate blood is that most places do a quick H&H before allowing you to donate. If H&H is too high, they won't let you donate.

    Happened to me...
  9. Professional Member
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,212
    Rep Power
    430707
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    80.58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthersby View Post
    H&H values:
    Hematocrit:
    Normal Adult Male Range 41 - 53 percent
    Hemoglobin:
    Normal Adult Male Range: 13.5 - 17.5 g/dL
    That's just a reference, diff labs have diff ranges.
  10. Senior Member
    Matthersby's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  241 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,707
    Rep Power
    217237
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    4.59%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post

    That's just a reference, diff labs have diff ranges.
    Yes they do...
  11. New Member
    bigt405's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  292 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    9328
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    11.57%

    Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    Your levels aren't that bad, mine were MUCH higher. 20.5 and 62. I decreased mine by lowering dose and injecting more frequently.

    The problem w trying to donate blood is that most places do a quick H&H before allowing you to donate. If H&H is too high, they won't let you donate.

    Happened to me...
    So lowering my dose and splitting dose up into two shots a week could help....definitely going to try this . Just as a reference what is your dosage and what days do you pin on?
  12. New Member
    bigt405's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  292 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    9328
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    11.57%

    Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post
    I've reduced hematocrit by 5 points with grapefruit. One whole per day dropped mine from 54 to 49 in the course of about a month.

    Hemoglobin...sorry, I've got nothin there.
    I wonder if grapefruit juice would have the same effect?
  13. Professional Member
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,212
    Rep Power
    430707
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    80.58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bigt405 View Post

    So lowering my dose and splitting dose up into two shots a week could help....definitely going to try this . Just as a reference what is your dosage and what days do you pin on?
    Yes, it COULD help. I'm currently pinning 60 twice a week. Labs have all came together at this dose.

    You typically need less than you think pinning twice a week. For example, if you're on 150/week. I'd start at 50 twice a week, get labs done, reevaluate...
  14. Professional Member
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,212
    Rep Power
    430707
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    80.58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bigt405 View Post

    I wonder if grapefruit juice would have the same effect?
    I'd be careful with this, grapefruit is well known to negatively interact w some of the meds us old guys take...
  15. Registered User
    Swanson52's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,075
    Rep Power
    532237
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    47.44%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    I'd be careful with this, grapefruit is well known to negatively interact w some of the meds us old guys take...
    Like what?
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  16. Professional Member
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,212
    Rep Power
    430707
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    80.58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post

    Like what?
    Statins, thyroid meds, calcium channel blockers, antihistamines, sedatives. It's a long list...
  17. Registered User
    Swanson52's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,075
    Rep Power
    532237
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    47.44%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    Statins, thyroid meds, calcium channel blockers, antihistamines, sedatives. It's a long list...
    I'm good, I don't take all that crap.

    Grapefruit FTW!
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  18. Professional Member
    napalm's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Age
    50
    Posts
    4,212
    Rep Power
    430707
    Level
    54
    Lv. Percent
    80.58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Swanson52 View Post

    I'm good, I don't take all that crap.

    Grapefruit FTW!
    Calcium channel blockers are one type of BP med. I'm pretty sure you're taking one of those. Best to double check broseph...
  19. New Member
    rfarns01's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    95
    Rep Power
    2581
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    40.64%

    Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post

    Statins, thyroid meds, calcium channel blockers, antihistamines, sedatives. It's a long list...
    Cialis, levitra and viagra, just to name a few more of the important ones.
  20. Senior Member
    Matthersby's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  241 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,707
    Rep Power
    217237
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    4.59%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by rfarns01 View Post

    Cialis, levitra and viagra, just to name a few more of the important ones.
    Some benzos, some antihistamines.....
  21. New Member
    FireRescue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    411
    Rep Power
    29699
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    3.39%

    From a health benefit point of view I think donating blood offers several advantages.

    Also, try avoiding supplemental iron and if you for some reason are taking dessicated liver tabs (an old school BBing supplement so I doubt you are) I would avoid those completely.
  22. Registered User
    Swanson52's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  300 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    3,075
    Rep Power
    532237
    Level
    48
    Lv. Percent
    47.44%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    Calcium channel blockers are one type of BP med. I'm pretty sure you're taking one of those. Best to double check broseph...
    I'm a beta blocker guy. CCBs are a no-go for CHF/cardiomyopathy.

    Nursewife clears my interactions.
    Don't worry, man, someday I'ma be nobody too.
  23. Advanced Member
    Axillist's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    705
    Rep Power
    37206
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    68.36%

    Let me know how it goes. I'm currently having the same problem. My levels are just slightly elevated but the doctor wants them decreased. I'm going to try to donate blood and see if that helps.
  24. New Member
    bigt405's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  292 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    9328
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    11.57%

    Quote Originally Posted by Axillist View Post
    Let me know how it goes. I'm currently having the same problem. My levels are just slightly elevated but the doctor wants them decreased. I'm going to try to donate blood and see if that helps.
    Will do....
  25. New Member
    bigt405's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  292 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    9328
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    11.57%

    Going to donate blood tomorrow and will get my levels checked Monday or Tuesday.
  26. New Member
    bigt405's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  292 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    9328
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    11.57%

    Donated blood today. They commented on two things
    1. On how high my iron levels were...
    2. On how thick my blood was because it took longer than normal...

    I started drinking 8 oz of grapefruit juice daily two days ago so I might wait past next week to see if it helps
  27. Senior Member
    Matthersby's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  241 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,707
    Rep Power
    217237
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    4.59%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bigt405 View Post
    Donated blood today. They commented on two things
    1. On how high my iron levels were...
    2. On how thick my blood was because it took longer than normal...

    I started drinking 8 oz of grapefruit juice daily two days ago so I might wait past next week to see if it helps
    Glad you were able to. You taking baby aspirin daily?
  28. New Member
    bigt405's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  292 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    9328
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    11.57%

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthersby View Post

    Glad you were able to. You taking baby aspirin daily?
    Yes. Started about two weeks ago.
  29. Senior Member
    Matthersby's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  241 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,707
    Rep Power
    217237
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    4.59%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bigt405 View Post

    Yes. Started about two weeks ago.
    BIG reduction in primary risk of high h&h
  30. New Member
    FireRescue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    411
    Rep Power
    29699
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    3.39%

    If your blood was not flowing well you may not be hydrating well enough.
  31. New Member
    bigt405's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  292 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    9328
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    11.57%

    Quote Originally Posted by FireRescue View Post
    If your blood was not flowing well you may not be hydrating well enough.
    I am trying to up my water intake to see if that helps.....How much water should a 280 lb person drink to be well hydrated?
  32. New Member
    bigt405's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  292 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    9328
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    11.57%

    Well I got my blood drawn today. I should know in a few days if any of this helped......
  33. New Member
    bigt405's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  292 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    9328
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    11.57%

    Well my hematocrit dropped from 56.1 to 53......still a little on the high side but much better.
  34. Senior Member
    lexmuscle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,062
    Rep Power
    147896
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    65.86%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bigt405 View Post
    Well my hematocrit dropped from 56.1 to 53......still a little on the high side but much better.
    How much did you donate? I expected a greater drop, like mid 40's. Just continue to donate every three months and you should be able to keep your level under control.
  35. Senior Member
    lexmuscle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,062
    Rep Power
    147896
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    65.86%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bigt405 View Post

    I am trying to up my water intake to see if that helps.....How much water should a 280 lb person drink to be well hydrated?
    I weigh 240, and get about 1.5 gallons per day. I'd say you would be good with around 2 gallons.
  36. New Member
    bigt405's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  292 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    9328
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    11.57%

    Quote Originally Posted by lexmuscle View Post

    How much did you donate? I expected a greater drop, like mid 40's. Just continue to donate every three months and you should be able to keep your level under control.
    Whatever the standard donation amount at the red cross is....I think it is a pint.
  37. New Member
    bigt405's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  292 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    9328
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    11.57%

    Just as an update I gave blood one more time and got my bloodwork back today .......the hematocrit number dropped all the way down to 48.5 this time So for me at least it looks like giving blood regularly is the answer.
  38. Senior Member
    lexmuscle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,062
    Rep Power
    147896
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    65.86%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bigt405 View Post
    Just as an update I gave blood one more time and got my bloodwork back today .......the hematocrit number dropped all the way down to 48.5 this time So for me at least it looks like giving blood regularly is the answer.
    Awesome to hear man, hematocrit in the mid-low 40's should keep you feeling great
  39. Senior Member
    Matthersby's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  241 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,707
    Rep Power
    217237
    Level
    38
    Lv. Percent
    4.59%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthersby View Post

    If you and your Doc are happy where your T levels are but this is your only problem, you might want to look at donating blood. You don't want these getting too far out of range....
    Aaahhheeeemmmm!! Someone got in here quick and gave some bomb advice!
  40. New Member
    bigt405's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  292 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    9328
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    11.57%

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthersby View Post

    Aaahhheeeemmmm!! Someone got in here quick and gave some bomb advice!
    Thanks it was good advice
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Have High Hemoglobin bad LDL levels, some advice plz
    By xGenericx in forum Supplements
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 02-12-2013, 12:54 PM
  2. High rbc and hemoglobin advice
    By fryzway in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-01-2012, 07:41 AM
  3. high hemoglobin/hematocrit
    By maldorf in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 01:16 AM
  4. High ALT and ALP levels
    By daemonium in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 02-01-2006, 09:21 PM
  5. High doses and increase in "receptor cells"
    By Matthew D in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-07-2003, 07:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in