High hemoglobin and hematocrit levels?

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  195 lbs.
    Answers

Worked for me too. I went from 52 down to 47. Big change!

2. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bigt405 View Post
    I am trying to up my water intake to see if that helps.....How much water should a 280 lb person drink to be well hydrated?
    Sorry - I know this is an older thread.

To answer your question, there are 2 different rules of thumb I use to determine water needs:

1. Weight in lbs/2 = ounces of water. At 280, that means 140 ounces of water.
    2. More recently - weight in lbs multiplied by 0.65. At 280, that means 182 ounces of water.

In every case, the amount is driven by body weight.

And most people are dehydrated, at least to some extent.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  292 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post

Sorry - I know this is an older thread.

To answer your question, there are 2 different rules of thumb I use to determine water needs:

1. Weight in lbs/2 = ounces of water. At 280, that means 140 ounces of water.
    2. More recently - weight in lbs multiplied by 0.65. At 280, that means 182 ounces of water.

In every case, the amount is driven by body weight.

And most people are dehydrated, at least to some extent.
    Thanks for the response no matter how late.....that is a lot of water!
    •   

4. BJE
    Stats
    6'3"  189 lbs.
    Answers

Of course the answer to your original question as has been said is to donate blood. I donate every two months unless my levels get too low then I increase the time between donations.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  292 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by BJE View Post
    Of course the answer to your original question as has been said is to donate blood. I donate every two months unless my levels get too low then I increase the time between donations.
    This totally correct and I am learning the hard way that it is not optional I let some things keep getting in the way of me donating and now I am actually over19 on my hemoglobin this time. I have cut my dosage in half to 50 mg a week. When I get this under control every 56 days just like a doctors appointment I will be donating hell or high water!
  6. Registered User
    Answers

Drink a lot of water, donate blood, take aspirin.
  7. BJE
    Stats
    6'3"  189 lbs.
    Answers

This totally correct and I am learning the hard way that it is not optional I let some things keep getting in the way of me donating and now I am actually over19 on my hemoglobin this time. I have cut my dosage in half to 50 mg a week. When I get this under control every 56 days just like a doctors appointment I will be donating hell or high water!
    It may have already been said, but your doctor could prescribe therepudic phlebotomy to get your level down faster.
  8. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by BJE View Post
    It may have already been said, but your doctor could prescribe therepudic phlebotomy to get your level down faster.
    That would be my advice as well, but with a Dr. wanting to take a patient doing well off of test completely because his h and h are elevated may be hard to convince to do this. We have to deal with a lot of incompetence in getting male hrt in many cases.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  292 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Vj63 View Post
    That would be my advice as well, but with a Dr. wanting to take a patient doing well off of test completely because his h and h are elevated may be hard to convince to do this. We have to deal with a lot of incompetence in getting male hrt in many cases.
    I have a friend that goes to the same doctor for trt too. Luckily he does not have an issue with his hemoglobin or hematocrit. He went to him this week and the doctor made a big deal about the study that just came out, but told him he was good since his levels stayed normal. It probably will not be good for me to go in with elevated levels. That's the reason I have cut my trt dose in half and will try to stay hydrated. I am hoping it will come down enough to donate. I am trying to put off going back to him as long as I can, but in a few weeks I will just have to bite the bullet if it does not come down. Worst case is he will not give me another prescription. Best case is he will prescribe a therapeutic draw and tell me to never miss a donation again. We will see.......
  10. Registered User
    Answers

I have a friend that goes to the same doctor for trt too. Luckily he does not have an issue with his hemoglobin or hematocrit. He went to him this week and the doctor made a big deal about the study that just came out, but told him he was good since his levels stayed normal. It probably will not be good for me to go in with elevated levels. That's the reason I have cut my trt dose in half and will try to stay hydrated. I am hoping it will come down enough to donate. I am trying to put off going back to him as long as I can, but in a few weeks I will just have to bite the bullet if it does not come down. Worst case is he will not give me another prescription. Best case is he will prescribe a therapeutic draw and tell me to never miss a donation again. We will see.......
    I understand exactly what you are dealing with. Drs., to be supposedly educated people, seem to have a hard time understanding what constitutes a valid well designed that may not even apply in a patients particular case. There are several well thought out rebuttals to that study that you could gather and present to your Dr. If they aren't willing to listen, you should try to move on(which starts the process all over again LOL). Good luck. BTW, What part of Al are you in?
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  292 lbs.
    Answers

Well I finally was able to donate last week and had blood work done the following day. I got the results today. My hemoglobin was 17 and my hematocrit came back 48. My testosterone was low at 378 but that was to be expected since I had cut my dose for a few weeks. I will be keeping a better handle on my blood donations from here on out.
  12. Registered User
    Answers

Well I finally was able to donate last week and had blood work done the following day. I got the results today. My hemoglobin was 17 and my hematocrit came back 48. My testosterone was low at 378 but that was to be expected since I had cut my dose for a few weeks. I will be keeping a better handle on my blood donations from here on out.
    You may possibly never have that issue again if you don't go back to a higher dose than you were on before or slightly less. My numbers were running high and after donating a time or two they have never gotten anywhere near that level again even after the donations stopped.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  292 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Vj63 View Post
    You may possibly never have that issue again if you don't go back to a higher dose than you were on before or slightly less. My numbers were running high and after donating a time or two they have never gotten anywhere near that level again even after the donations stopped.
    That's good to know......
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

I've been taking naringin for a few months now and it leveled mine out. Dropped it about 2.5-3 points and haven't done anything else.
  15. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    I've been taking naringin for a few months now and it leveled mine out. Dropped it about 2.5-3 points and haven't done anything else.
    Does naringin have the same P450 enzyme interactions on certain medications that grapefruit has?
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Yes it does.
  17. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    I've been using Naringin (in my case, Swanson) as well.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Answers

Yep, same brand. I have felt "cleaner" since taking it. Like it makes me feel less weighed down with crud or oxidants. Could be the effect on RBC.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Have High Hemoglobin bad LDL levels, some advice plz
    By xGenericx in forum Supplements
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 02-12-2013, 11:54 AM
  2. High rbc and hemoglobin advice
    By fryzway in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-01-2012, 06:41 AM
  3. high hemoglobin/hematocrit
    By maldorf in forum Anabolics