26 y/o, Low T, High SHBG, Anemic

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.

26 y/o, Low T, High SHBG, Anemic

Whats up guys. Past few years been having a wide array of symptoms,

Fatigue, low sex drive, poor memory, low body temp, cold hands & feet, poor concentration, GI disturbances (constipation)

So, I went to the doc and he ordered blood work, here's what we got

DHEA - 218
    ALT (SGPT) - 50
    Globulin - 2.2
    A/G Ratio 2.2
    WBC - 3.9
    RBC - 4.22
    Hemoglobin - 13.3
    Hematocrit 38.2
    MCH - 32
    Lymphocytes - 1.1
    TSH - 1.8
    Free T3 - 2.8
    Free T4 - 0.78
    Anti-TPO AB - I'm assuming it is 5.0 because it is bolded and looks like "<5.0 " with no reference range
    Vitamin D 25- Hydroxy - 49.30
    Total Testosterone - 230
    LH - 1.5
    Prolactin - 5.35
    Progesterone - 0.27
    Estradiol - again, bolded and reads "<15"
    ANA - 1.78
    Dihydrotestosterone - 29

In addition to this, also was given a saliva cortisol test which showed highish cortisol at bedtime, but not too bad;

9AM - 9.8ng/ml
    2PM - 4.3
    7PM - 3.1
    1130PM - 3.2

DHEA 761.7 ph/ml (which I found interesting, especially since the level in my blood was on the low end)

Neurotransmitters were tested and found to be very low. Doc put me on Calm - PRT, Travacor, ExcitaPlus which has helped some with sleep and energy levels during the day

Lipid profile was done as well

Total Cholesterol - 173
    LDL - C - 105
    HDL - C - 57
    Triglycerides - 82
    Apo B - 89
    Lp(a) - 43

Metabolic
    TSH - 1.41
    B12 - 1438
    RBC Folate - 720
    Homocysteine - 9

FSH - 3.9

Slightly low Omega 3's

Basically what came of all this, Doc put me on Calm PRT, ExcitaPlus, and Travacor for neurotransmitters. He mentioned my liver enzymes were elevated so he's treating that with a natural supplement (milk thistle with something else), Niacin for the high LDL and low HDL, and high Lp(a). A blood vessel guard supplement for homocyteseine levels (folinate, magnesium, b6, b12, some other stuff)

My blood pressure has been wacky. Sometimes it is normalish (120/60), Other times it is 130-140/60-70

Symtomns change, I was getting terrible anxiety attacks where my heart rate would explode and I thought I was having a heart attack. I get the occasional heart palpitation, although they have calmed down consideribly in strength and frequency.

I told my doc I was having a urinating problem where it was difficult to initiate, and he checked my prostate and said it was enlarged. Prostate cancer runs in the fam, and my brother (22) has had the occasional same urinating problems.

The doc now has me taking the temp of my urine every morning, the past 5 days it has been low anywhere between 96.7-97.2

I eat super super clean, chicken, grass fed beef, salmon, coconut oil, almond butter, whole eggs, veggies, a small amount of oat bran or brown rice. So don't think it's diet.

Exercise is intense, martial arts & boxing right now, sometimes kettlebells. Sleep is erratic, sometimes its great sometimes eh. I had a sleep study test done and that ruled out sleep apnea.

So right now I'm thinking it is possibly a thyroid issue, but I'm not certain. The low T and enlarged prostate could be genetic or tied to the thyroid somehow but I dont know. Getting an ultrasound of my prostate in two weeks. Also previously had an ultrasound of my thyroid and heart which came back normal (slight mitral valve prolapse) this was about 2 months ago.

Not exactly sure where to go from here, any input would be extremely appreciated!!

Thanks!!

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  186 lbs.

would be more helpfull for people if you posted the reference ranges for all values, as these can change from lab to lab
  3. Registered User

Probably have an absorption issue which.needs to.be properly.evaluated. I.am.also.an NEI practioner. When neurotransmitters are low first place you evaluate is the gut for dysbiosis and allergies. Gold standard.is.Gi.effects from.metametrix i use along with mrt leap testing for food allergies. One needs to.know the history in order to know where to start.
    I use:
    1.23andme genetic test
    2. Gi effects metametrix if.neurological issues are present
    3. Adrenal saliva from Diagnostic tec or zrt
    4. Blood testing specific to thyroid sex hormones nutritional, ect

other testing if.necessary.

There are only a small handfull of.people.who understand.genetics . I.am.actually training many.medical.professionals in this.new.and up coming approach in medicine.
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.

Cool stuff, I am 2/3 and also T/T will get the details for you later

when I was younger I was allergic to absolutely everything. Chicken, peanut butter, list goes on. I did get an Ig test done as well will post later thanks for the help
  5. Registered User

Igg are.not.valid ..must be eating the food for a while to test positive.
    Correct.methylation has reduced food allergies significantly in clients resulting in.helping resolve.neurological.issues.fr om.seizures depression and anxiety. Amazing what happen when one reduces inflammation at the genetic.level. People on hydrocortisone who are not.hypopit are able to taper off easily
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.

Interesting so Igg is not valid, what about ANA? I'm not sure I understand the coagulation genetics. All I know is my genotype is T/T And my apolopoprotein genotype is 2/3. That said, assuming malabsorption and possible food allergies what are some steps I can take? Currently taking glutamine and probiotics
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.

Just an update. Doc wants me on small amount of T gel, clomid, and armour. As well as carnitine and coq10.

Just a recap

Total test - 230
    Free test - 5.2
    Lh - 1.5
    Fsh - 3.9

Free t3 and free t4 within normal but on the lower end.

Also doc had me complete a stool test will hav results in a few weeks.

What do you think about me going on test gel, smart move or wait?
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.

So I've decided to NOT go on TRT. I want to get to the route cause, and I am 100% positive there is a GI/Immune system component to this. This seems to be a common trend on this forum. Hormones going haywire, HPA screwy and GI and immune system not functioning right. I can be almost certain my absorption of nutrients is not good, as I see undigested food in my stool often. I just did a stool test recently looking forward to the results.

As far as MTHFR - I was tested as T/T - Can anyone chime in on what exactly that means and what I should do about it. Matrix?
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  175 lbs.

It means your are in the 10% of the population who have a hard time processing folates, and may have low levels of usable (methylated) folate.
    High intake of FOLIC ACID can make this worse.
    Simply, you need to supplement 400 to 800mg of METAFOLIN.
    Low levels of methylated/folate will cause an impaired METHYLATION CYCLE.
    There is a lot of INFO out there about this...
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.

Mr. TT - Thanks, I will continue looking into Methylation and speak to my doc about it
  11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.TT View Post
    It means your are in the 10% of the population who have a hard time processing folates, and may have low levels of usable (methylated) folate.
    High intake of FOLIC ACID can make this worse.
    Simply, you need to supplement 400 to 800mg of METAFOLIN.
    Low levels of methylated/folate will cause an impaired METHYLATION CYCLE.
    There is a lot of INFO out there about this...
    TRy 70%
    Too much methyl in the wrong genetic profile can cause major issues.
  12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AJO17 View Post
    So I've decided to NOT go on TRT. I want to get to the route cause, and I am 100% positive there is a GI/Immune system component to this. This seems to be a common trend on this forum. Hormones going haywire, HPA screwy and GI and immune system not functioning right. I can be almost certain my absorption of nutrients is not good, as I see undigested food in my stool often. I just did a stool test recently looking forward to the results.As far as MTHFR - I was tested as T/T - Can anyone chime in on what exactly that means and what I should do about it. Matrix?
    need to know if you are homozyogous for which one. There are actually >40 MTHFR genes. When it comes to methylation, you need to see the entire pictures of other SNPS in order to come up with proper and save recommendations. I do several of these a day from Drs. When you combine this an open minded Dr especially one dealing with MS, lyme and autism people start making progress when they have been stagnant for a while. I have several medical Drs I work with sending me their patients for genetic profile and how its related to the case. My time will be limited very soon on the forums due to increased demand form Doctors...
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Matrix View Post
    need to know if you are homozyogous for which one. There are actually >40 MTHFR genes. When it comes to methylation, you need to see the entire pictures of other SNPS in order to come up with proper and save recommendations. I do several of these a day from Drs. When you combine this an open minded Dr especially one dealing with MS, lyme and autism people start making progress when they have been stagnant for a while. I have several medical Drs I work with sending me their patients for genetic profile and how its related to the case. My time will be limited very soon on the forums due to increased demand form Doctors...
    This is from my blood test...

"This patient is homozygous (T/T) for the methylenetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) polymorphism. This indicates that this patients enzyme is thermolabile and does not effectively metabolize folic acid (folate). Methylfolate is the active form of folate. Patients with homozygosity for this polymorphism are more likely to have elevated homocysteine values. Patients with high homocysteine value who are homozygous for the MTHFR polymorphism will not respond as well to folate supplementation with folic acid and consideration should be given to supplementation with the active methylfolate. Although homocysteine is an independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease and events, treatment of elevated homocysteine with folic acid and B vitamins (B6 and B12) has not been shown to decrease events. Consideration should be given to more aggressive treatment of other CV risk factors in patients with elevated homocysteine. Other homocysteine lowering efforts which may be beneficial include methyl folate and or betaine supplementation."

Health Diagnostic Laboratory Inc.

Prothrombin Mutation - G/G
    Factor V Leiden - Arg/Arg

Platalet genetics
    CYP2C19*2*3 - *1/*1
    CYP2C19*17* - *1/*17

Apolipoprotein genotype - 2/3

My homocysteine level on 11/21/2012 was 9. Lab range <11 optimal, 11-13 intermediate risk, >13 high risk

Doc does have me supplementing with a folinate, b12, magnesium (blood vessel guard) supplement, but I will definately talk to him about supplementing with L-methylfolate
  14. Registered User

i do not start supplementing till i know the other genes involved down streams. I get multiple cases referred from drs where they try ti do what they have learned is correct . Unfortunately it tends not to be the best in all cases. One lyme Dr i work with is having me look at her patients genetic first before engaging treatment. The results have been dramatical. Its been keeping me busy and helping the out come of her patients with a combined approach.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJO17 View Post
    This is from my blood test. Actually thr statement of high homocysteine is not true as i have seen it in low.

"This patient is homozygous (T/T) for the methylenetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) polymorphism. This indicates that this patients enzyme is thermolabile and does not effectively metabolize folic acid (folate). Methylfolate is the active form of folate. Patients with homozygosity for this polymorphism are more likely to have elevated homocysteine values. Patients with high homocysteine value who are homozygous for the MTHFR polymorphism will not respond as well to folate supplementation with folic acid and consideration should be given to supplementation with the active methylfolate. Although homocysteine is an independent risk factor for cardiovascular disease and events, treatment of elevated homocysteine with folic acid and B vitamins (B6 and B12) has not been shown to decrease events. Consideration should be given to more aggressive treatment of other CV risk factors in patients with elevated homocysteine. Other homocysteine lowering efforts which may be beneficial include methyl folate and or betaine supplementation."

Health Diagnostic Laboratory Inc.

Prothrombin Mutation - G/G
    Factor V Leiden - Arg/Arg

Platalet genetics
    CYP2C19*2*3 - *1/*1
    CYP2C19*17* - *1/*17

Apolipoprotein genotype - 2/3

My homocysteine level on 11/21/2012 was 9. Lab range <11 optimal, 11-13 intermediate risk, >13 high risk

Doc does have me supplementing with a folinate, b12, magnesium (blood vessel guard) supplement, but I will definately talk to him about supplementing with L-methylfolate
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Matrix View Post
    i do not start supplementing till i know the other genes involved down streams. I get multiple cases referred from drs where they try ti do what they have learned is correct . Unfortunately it tends not to be the best in all cases. One lyme Dr i work with is having me look at her patients genetic first before engaging treatment. The results have been dramatical. Its been keeping me busy and helping the out come of her patients with a combined approach.
    Makes sense, what can the 23andme test show you about how to proceed with supplementation?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. High SHBG, Low Test, and High EOS-Matrix & Others Pls Help
    By bestill in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-10-2013, 09:15 PM
  2. Low Testosterone, low SHBG, low GH, high prolactin and high estradiol
    By Estrogosky in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-03-2010, 07:38 PM
  3. Low Testosterone, low SHBG, low GH, high prolactin and high estradiol
    By Estrogosky in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine