Calcium serum - AnabolicMinds.com

Calcium serum

  1. Professional Member
    kisaj's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Age
    40
    Posts
    4,349
    Answers
    10
    Rep Power
    1173478

    Calcium serum


    So I received my second full blood panel and while my test is still on the low side, there is only one thing that is out of the normal range, and only slightly, but I read up and it seems like it could be a cause. My calcium serum from a range of 8.7-10.2 was 10.4 and then 10.3 on two full tests. Being this close to normal levels would normally not be cause for concern, but reading up on hyperparathyroidism, it sounds like all the symptoms I attributed to low test could be this. Fatigue, poor sleep, foggy thinking, etc. It doesn't explain my lower test scores, but I hope my new endo picks up on this and looks into it. If not, I am going to bring up the fact that I have investigated this. Apparently, on this one test, even if you are .1 over or under can be noticed because the range is so small.

    I wish my test were naturally higher, but I wonder if it these two things play a role in each other?

  2. Elite Member
    The Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    7698

    Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    So I received my second full blood panel and while my test is still on the low side, there is only one thing that is out of the normal range, and only slightly, but I read up and it seems like it could be a cause. My calcium serum from a range of 8.7-10.2 was 10.4 and then 10.3 on two full tests. Being this close to normal levels would normally not be cause for concern, but reading up on hyperparathyroidism, it sounds like all the symptoms I attributed to low test could be this. Fatigue, poor sleep, foggy thinking, etc. It doesn't explain my lower test scores, but I hope my new endo picks up on this and looks into it. If not, I am going to bring up the fact that I have investigated this. Apparently, on this one test, even if you are .1 over or under can be noticed because the range is so small.

    I wish my test were naturally higher, but I wonder if it these two things play a role in each other?
    This is usually due to secondary hyperparthyroidism which may be from low thyroid/cortisol, low vitamin D, low testosterone. I see this as a red flag and usually one or more of the above is associated with it.
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  3. Professional Member
    kisaj's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Age
    40
    Posts
    4,349
    Answers
    10
    Rep Power
    1173478

    So, because the two numbers out of everything that are not in normal range are test and calcium, it would lead you to believe that the elevated calcium could be a symptom of lower test?

    My endo mentioned yesterday that he wants to run a third panel and look at "jumpstarting" me with clomid for 6-8 weeks to evaluate.
    •   
       

  4. Elite Member
    The Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    7698

    REmember calcium has to be kept in tight range other wise the blood will be come to alkaline. I have learned in calcium serums 2 points from top is a huge red flag because of how crucial that number is. Remember what shows up in the blood is usually 6 months behind the tissue so the damage has already started. After seeing a few thousand blood results over past several years you see patterns which then can be medically validation

    Read the what they give to secondary hyperparathyroidism - PRedisone !! which is a stronger form of cortisol. I had this marker when I first got ill and dr's ignored it. To me its a red flag for issues need to be further evaluated by your medical professionals.

    How can you jump start a car getting a car going with a dead battery or bad clutch? You need to charge it first then jump it then need a workable clutch to pop it in gear. This is the same principle drs are not getting and why people on clomid are failing not holding. You need to address all other underlying issues (takes about 4 months) before even attempting clomid. I recommend Dr's if the person is in bad shape who fails the clomid challenge put them on TRT till other areas are address to give a better quality of life then after those issues are address then try a restart. Even guys on TRT takes 3-4 months to prep them before even trying a restart to make sure all lights are green to give them the best environment to for clomid to actually work. HAd numerous guys fail clomid from other drs. Found what was wrong and addressed it with their Dr then they started up just fine..
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  5. Professional Member
    kisaj's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Age
    40
    Posts
    4,349
    Answers
    10
    Rep Power
    1173478

    I appreciate the comments and obviously I will be following up with my endo, but I want to understand what you are saying. What would we be addressing with an elevated calcium level and low test? I understand the part about it possibly being secondary, but I don't get what would be the bigger flag with all other numbers in range.

    Also, I should mention that I had a DEXA and it came back normal.

    Also, you think starting trt to get me back to feeling energized and clear while we address this might be wise?

    I just met with this endo after working with my doc, so the specialist route is new to me.
  6. Senior Member
    DetroitHammer's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,211
    Answers
    1
    Rep Power
    20687

    Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    So I received my second full blood panel and while my test is still on the low side, there is only one thing that is out of the normal range, and only slightly, but I read up and it seems like it could be a cause. My calcium serum from a range of 8.7-10.2 was 10.4 and then 10.3 on two full tests. Being this close to normal levels would normally not be cause for concern, but reading up on hyperparathyroidism, it sounds like all the symptoms I attributed to low test could be this. Fatigue, poor sleep, foggy thinking, etc. It doesn't explain my lower test scores, but I hope my new endo picks up on this and looks into it. If not, I am going to bring up the fact that I have investigated this. Apparently, on this one test, even if you are .1 over or under can be noticed because the range is so small.

    I wish my test were naturally higher, but I wonder if it these two things play a role in each other?
    It could be a very simple explanation. Do you take Rolaids/Tums?
  7. Elite Member
    The Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    7698

    I would make sure vitamin D, adrenals and thyroid are up to par before starting TRT other wise it can have an adverse effect. I would also try to find out why is causing your T levels to be low in the first place and address it at the root. Again I do not have full case history which definitely could shed more light on the topic. Remember the body will rob from Peter to pay Paul when you are trying to shift things around which can reveal things or cause more issues. In the range does not mean optimal for your body. A client just happen to have his testosterone tested when he was 18 they where over 800 naturally. Now they are at 500 and hes feeling like crap. Dr's could not understand why, but it was obvious when he had previous tests to verify it. BTW the lab reference are coming from people from age of 18-90 years old. Take a look around at the general population and see how healthy they really are...makes you go HMMMMMMMM...
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  8. Senior Member
    DetroitHammer's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,211
    Answers
    1
    Rep Power
    20687

    Quote Originally Posted by The Matrix View Post
    REmember calcium has to be kept in tight range other wise the blood will be come to alkaline. I have learned in calcium serums 2 points from top is a huge red flag because of how crucial that number is. Remember what shows up in the blood is usually 6 months behind the tissue so the damage has already started. After seeing a few thousand blood results over past several years you see patterns which then can be medically validation

    Read the what they give to secondary hyperparathyroidism - PRedisone !! which is a stronger form of cortisol. I had this marker when I first got ill and dr's ignored it. To me its a red flag for issues need to be further evaluated by your medical professionals.

    How can you jump start a car getting a car going with a dead battery or bad clutch? You need to charge it first then jump it then need a workable clutch to pop it in gear. This is the same principle drs are not getting and why people on clomid are failing not holding. You need to address all other underlying issues (takes about 4 months) before even attempting clomid. I recommend Dr's if the person is in bad shape who fails the clomid challenge put them on TRT till other areas are address to give a better quality of life then after those issues are address then try a restart. Even guys on TRT takes 3-4 months to prep them before even trying a restart to make sure all lights are green to give them the best environment to for clomid to actually work. HAd numerous guys fail clomid from other drs. Found what was wrong and addressed it with their Dr then they started up just fine..
    You want the blood to be alkaline, not acidic.
  9. Senior Member
    DetroitHammer's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,211
    Answers
    1
    Rep Power
    20687

    Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    I appreciate the comments and obviously I will be following up with my endo, but I want to understand what you are saying. What would we be addressing with an elevated calcium level and low test? I understand the part about it possibly being secondary, but I don't get what would be the bigger flag with all other numbers in range.

    Also, I should mention that I had a DEXA and it came back normal.

    Also, you think starting trt to get me back to feeling energized and clear while we address this might be wise?

    I just met with this endo after working with my doc, so the specialist route is new to me.
    Man, don't get too excited about this. You need Vit D to absorb calcium. If you take Vit D supplements then you can absorb more calcium but taking stuff like Tums/Rolaids, or other calcium products, you're going to have a surge in serum calcium. So keep that in mind. Low Vit D could result in low calcium levels, not elevated. The calcium more than likely has nothing to do with low test, nothing at all. I'd worry more about your kidneys with elevated calcium.
  10. Elite Member
    The Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    7698

    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHammer View Post
    You want the blood to be alkaline, not acidic.
    You can also go into extreme alkalosis vs acidosis

    When calcium serums are high it means the body is acidic so it will increase serum calcium to neutralize.

    example respiratory acidosis will increase calcium levels.

    Tissue vs blood are 2 separate things.

    Think of it as eat a lemon going in as an acid, but coming out as alkaline..
    I know I thought the same thing until you look at other medical conditions
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  11. Elite Member
    The Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    7698

    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHammer View Post
    Man, don't get too excited about this. You need Vit D to absorb calcium. If you take Vit D supplements then you can absorb more calcium but taking stuff like Tums/Rolaids, or other calcium products, you're going to have a surge in serum calcium. So keep that in mind. Low Vit D could result in low calcium levels, not elevated. The calcium more than likely has nothing to do with low test, nothing at all. I'd worry more about your kidneys with elevated calcium.
    With out proper testosterone levels calcium can not get properly absorbed into the bone.
    Secondary hyperparathyroidism due to vitamin D deficiency is commonly over looked. I learned the hard way as it occured with me even with normal adrenal function. Drinking milk before bed or protein drink could have even induced it. Tums unless taken before the test would not of spiked it that much. Rarely do you see supplements impact serum levels above normal levels like this. I agree its something else which options mentioned above will most likely find the answer. Can not absorb vitamin D with out magnesium actually its more important for bone developement then calcium because it helps to keep it in its soluable form. Sodium is also a huge factor in calcium metabolism too which goes back to adrenal function.

    When my calcium was high I had such anxiety where I was going to jump out of my skin as well as muscle twitches from the tetany it can cause.
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  12. Senior Member
    DetroitHammer's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,211
    Answers
    1
    Rep Power
    20687

    Quote Originally Posted by The Matrix View Post
    You can also go into extreme alkalosis vs acidosis

    When calcium serums are high it means the body is acidic so it will increase serum calcium to neutralize.

    example respiratory acidosis will increase calcium levels.

    Tissue vs blood are 2 separate things.

    Think of it as eat a lemon going in as an acid, but coming out as alkaline..
    I know I thought the same thing until you look at other medical conditions
    According to the clinical studies:
    "... just remember the names of the 5 alkalizing minerals. These minerals are used keep you alkaline.
    Calcium
    Potassium
    Sodium
    Magnesium
    Iron
    [and silica]"
  13. Elite Member
    The Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    7698

    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHammer View Post
    According to the clinical studies:
    "... just remember the names of the 5 alkalizing minerals. These minerals are used keep you alkaline.
    Calcium
    Potassium
    Sodium
    Magnesium
    Iron
    [and silica]"
    Very true but when dealing with intra and extracellular nutrients it changes the rules. Plus there has to be a balance between all of them
    When a person is acidic at tissue the body will pull calcium from the bones to the serum in order to help neutralize it. Potentially explains why acidic bodies lead to potential osteoporsis.
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  14. Senior Member
    DetroitHammer's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,211
    Answers
    1
    Rep Power
    20687

    Quote Originally Posted by The Matrix View Post
    Very true but when dealing with intra and extracellular nutrients it changes the rules. Plus there has to be a balance between all of them
    When a person is acidic at tissue the body will pull calcium from the bones to the serum in order to help neutralize it. Potentially explains why acidic bodies lead to potential osteoporsis.
    Thanks... We agree that a balanced alkaline state is best for health and cancer prevention?
  15. Elite Member
    The Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    7698

    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHammer View Post
    Thanks... We agree that a balanced alkaline state is best for health and cancer prevention?
    Yes cancer can not survive in an alkaline environment which now is being show to help reduce gene expression as well. hmmmmmm
    Amazing how highly correlated they are...
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  16. Professional Member
    kisaj's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Age
    40
    Posts
    4,349
    Answers
    10
    Rep Power
    1173478

    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHammer View Post
    Man, don't get too excited about this. You need Vit D to absorb calcium. If you take Vit D supplements then you can absorb more calcium but taking stuff like Tums/Rolaids, or other calcium products, you're going to have a surge in serum calcium. So keep that in mind. Low Vit D could result in low calcium levels, not elevated. The calcium more than likely has nothing to do with low test, nothing at all. I'd worry more about your kidneys with elevated calcium.
    I'm not excited, I am just in tune with things and want to find out as much information as I can so that I can be educated. I never put all my trust into one person (doctor) no matter how experienced they are. I don't take tums/rolaids, but I drink a crap load of milk daily. I don't take any vitamin d supplements, but figure that I spend a lot of time in the sun running and biking, so wouldn't think it would be needed.

    As far as testosterone, I am not concerned about that. It is just an annoyance. I am concerned about my kidneys.
  17. Elite Member
    The Matrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,033
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    7698

    Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    I'm not excited, I am just in tune with things and want to find out as much information as I can so that I can be educated. I never put all my trust into one person (doctor) no matter how experienced they are. I don't take tums/rolaids, but I drink a crap load of milk daily. I don't take any vitamin d supplements, but figure that I spend a lot of time in the sun running and biking, so wouldn't think it would be needed.

    As far as testosterone, I am not concerned about that. It is just an annoyance. I am concerned about my kidneys.
    Don't fall into the typical mind set you spend time out in the sun you get vitamin D. Thats a fallacy because the stress are under is affecting the VDR gene expression allowing us not to convert sunlight to vitamin D through our skin.
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  18. Professional Member
    kisaj's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Age
    40
    Posts
    4,349
    Answers
    10
    Rep Power
    1173478

    Well, if that is case, I am screwed. Lol. My life is filled with stress that I can do little about. I just find ways to best deal with it.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Serum calcium-parathyroid
    By Bw2506 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-06-2012, 05:34 PM
  2. coral calcium vs calcium citrate
    By kingdong in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-03-2010, 10:31 AM
  3. Serum Sickness vs. Test Flu
    By FrTimothy in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-01-2005, 10:40 AM
  4. Serum Sickness question
    By FrTimothy in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-02-2005, 02:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in