5-HTP Knockout Reaction - Matrix

bomb402

Awards
When I take 50mg of 5-HTP I just want to fall asleep, even if I take it at 11AM. I can tolerate about 25mg and even that sometimes makes me very sleepy. I have all the low serotonin symptoms like insomnia, digestive bacterial disturbance that does not go away with antibiotics (chronic burning stool). The only thing that fixes the burning stool is prednisone, almost immediately, but I think it does that by virtue of elevating insulin levels so much that serotonin is increased which restores my immune system. I have been taking p5p,tmg, metafolin, and same for nearly 2-3 weeks now and initially I noticed sleep quality improved but the burning stool is still there if I don't take prednisone. And prednisone makes me extremely hungry all day and very lethargic the whole time (raising insulin is my guess). Concentration is also fairly bad. I've tried probiotics, digestive enzymes, and antibiotics and nothing seems to help the burning stool except prednisone. And the fatigue is massive on it to where I can't handle the 3.75mg a day dose. I also get bad acne, I am assuming from the bacterial infection. Digestive enzymes do somewhat help this but I have to take them with every meal.

I don't know why my body can't handle 5-htp. I am guessing the enzyme that converts 5-htp into serotonin may be deficient, or I may be BH4 deficient. Given these symptoms can't we come up with some idea of wtf is happening here? Maybe I am just burning through serotonin a lot and when I restore it I only need to take it for a day or it builds up and causes sleepiness? Then I don't get why the burning stool doesn't seem to really go away on it yet prednisone it does. I am on HC 10mg timed release twice a day and t3 7.5mcg 2-3x a day with TRT and estrogen is in range (1mg adex eod).

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
When I take 50mg of 5-HTP I just want to fall asleep, even if I take it at 11AM. I can tolerate about 25mg and even that sometimes makes me very sleepy. I have all the low serotonin symptoms like insomnia, digestive bacterial disturbance that does not go away with antibiotics (chronic burning stool). The only thing that fixes the burning stool is prednisone, almost immediately, but I think it does that by virtue of elevating insulin levels so much that serotonin is increased which restores my immune system. I have been taking p5p,tmg, metafolin, and same for nearly 2-3 weeks now and initially I noticed sleep quality improved but the burning stool is still there if I don't take prednisone. And prednisone makes me extremely hungry all day and very lethargic the whole time (raising insulin is my guess). Concentration is also fairly bad. I've tried probiotics, digestive enzymes, and antibiotics and nothing seems to help the burning stool except prednisone. And the fatigue is massive on it to where I can't handle the 3.75mg a day dose. I also get bad acne, I am assuming from the bacterial infection. Digestive enzymes do somewhat help this but I have to take them with every meal.

I don't know why my body can't handle 5-htp. I am guessing the enzyme that converts 5-htp into serotonin may be deficient, or I may be BH4 deficient. Given these symptoms can't we come up with some idea of wtf is happening here? Maybe I am just burning through serotonin a lot and when I restore it I only need to take it for a day or it builds up and causes sleepiness? Then I don't get why the burning stool doesn't seem to really go away on it yet prednisone it does. I am on HC 10mg timed release twice a day and t3 7.5mcg 2-3x a day with TRT and estrogen is in range (1mg adex eod).
With BH4 this is common with people with methylation problems which are highly associated with adrenal insuffiency. Since everyone has pre dispositoin to stress no wonder adrenals and methylation issues are highly interconnected. Correcting the GI tract i going to complement therapy tremendously. People who have bh4 tend to have MTHFR and other mutations which are complicating the matter.