QUESTION ABOUT TRT AN INSURANCE

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    2.21%

QUESTION ABOUT TRT AN INSURANCE

My primary care physician referred me to an Endocrinologist in reference to my low testosterone levels (156). In the meantime the primary care physician prescribed me Androgel to help get me started I guess. He said that it might take awhile for me to get an appointment with the endo. Surprisingly though the Endo had a cancellation and can see me tomorrow afternoon. My problem is that I already filled the prescription for the Androgel a couple of days a ago. What if the Endo prescribes injections? Will insurance cover the injections or possibly deny them bcause I already filled the Androgel?

2. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.98%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by dumplin716 View Post
    My primary care physician referred me to an Endocrinologist in reference to my low testosterone levels (156). In the meantime the primary care physician prescribed me Androgel to help get me started I guess. He said that it might take awhile for me to get an appointment with the endo. Surprisingly though the Endo had a cancellation and can see me tomorrow afternoon. My problem is that I already filled the prescription for the Androgel a couple of days a ago. What if the Endo prescribes injections? Will insurance cover the injections or possibly deny them bcause I already filled the Androgel?
    Yes if they do not costcos is only 62.50 for 10 cc bottle of 200 mg/ml of testosterone. At 156 I would be asking "why are they that low in the first place" before even considering HRT. I would never recommend HRT ith 156 to a DR without ruling out with further blood work on thyroid, adrenals, and other biological,psychological, or environemental factors to be evaluated.
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.
  3. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

Quote Originally Posted by dumplin716 View Post
    They are controlled substances. The pharmacist will likely not fill the second until the first has been "chronologically" consumed - meaning 30 days has passed. Insurance will not reject it if the pharmacist does not fill it and submit the claim.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.98%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

If there is medical necessity which can be validated AKA blood test ran 7 days after adminstration of the drug then you should be fine. We run people for 7 days at dosage then adjust up ward or discontinue the gel, If the Dr can medical verify the change in medication then insurance should not have an issue. I have a lot of Dr's patient with left over androgel 1-2 months supply of it even.
    I am not a medical Dr, please keep in mind that this answer is for information purposes only, and is not intended to diagnose, treat or replace sound medical advice from your physician or health care provider.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Is it possible to get HRT with insurance?
    By young92117 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 12-31-2011, 05:03 PM
  2. Car Insurance
    By manny1010 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-18-2009, 06:46 PM
  3. Car totaled I got a insurance question
    By paint2100 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-18-2008, 08:27 PM
  4. Insurance and HRT