Are these testosterone levels normal for a 33 yo? Need some advice.

someguy01

Awards
I'm a 33 year old male, 6'0", 188 pounds, not overweight, in good health. I've never taken steroids or any type of testosterone-related supplement. For the past few years I've had problems with brain fog, concentration, memory, and motivation. I've been irritable and much more negative about things than I used to be. I had somewhat softer erections than I used to, but they still got the job done and I never considered it a problem.

A few months ago I was diagnosed with attention deficit disorder due to the concentration and memory symptoms mentioned above. I was put on amphetamine based medications for this (Vyvanse). The medication helps with the symptoms, but gives me bad ED during the day while it's active and mild ED in the evenings after the meds should be out of my system. I've read that this is a known side for some people due to the fact that this medicine constricts the blood vessels. My research online indicates that most people don't get ED from these meds unless they already have a mild underlying hormonal problem.

In light of this, I started wondering if I had low testosterone or some other hormonal problem that might be causing my ADD symptoms and/or my borderline ED that's worse while on ADD medication. I asked my doctor to run tests. I just got the results back and my doc says that everything is fine. CBC, Thyroid, and Metabolic Panel were all within range. My Cholesterol is excellent. My vitamin D level was pretty low and he recommended D3 supplements, but said that this wouldn't be causing any of my symptoms.

Total Testosterone, free testosterone, and SHBG were all within range and the doc said it's fine and won't do further tests of other hormones. From my online research my levels, particularly free testosterone, might be somewhat low for a healthy 33 year old. The levels (with reference ranges) are:

Total testosterone: 502 NG/DL [250-1100]
SHBG: 35 NMOL/L [10-50]
Free testosterone: 69.4 PG/ML [35.0-155.0]

The test was done by "Quest Diagnostics."

So, my questions are:

1. Are these testosterone levels ok? Could they possibly be causing my ED and/or mental issues? Might I benefit from TRT?
2. Should I do any further testing of other hormones? My doc insists that since these 3 look ok to him no further tests are needed.
3. Any other ideas of what might be causing this or other things I should look into?

hitest

Awards
So, my questions are:

1. Are these testosterone levels ok? Could they possibly be causing my ED and/or mental issues? Might I benefit from TRT?
2. Should I do any further testing of other hormones? My doc insists that since these 3 look ok to him no further tests are needed.
3. Any other ideas of what might be causing this or other things I should look into?
My answers are:
1. They could be OK. I doubt they are the direct cause of your issues. No, TRT looks like a bad idea for you.
2. Yes, you need further testing and probably not just for hormones.
3. You will find quite a few ideas on this board if you poke around. Here are some:

• Decreased liver detoxification
  • Poor gastrointestinal health
  • Altered adrenal function
  • Blood sugar and insulin issues
  • Altered enzyme activity – aromatase, 5-alpha reductase, and others
  • Compromised pituitary function

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Hitest, I love your style of thinking. TO many other boards are micromanaging only hormones and not looking at the over all picture.

If you case you need further testing HRT is no an option for you as now with good testing numbers. I would look at my post "lab testing" I always in Dr's I work get them to look at reasons why your testosterone is not doing its job. You do this by examining numerous factors which traditional dr do not have the time to look at. Your e2 was never measured. If you do not have a Dr I have a net work of Dr's all over the united states you have the same mind set as I do. I be glad to refer one of them for you.

My answers are:
1. They could be OK. I doubt they are the direct cause of your issues. No, TRT looks like a bad idea for you.
2. Yes, you need further testing and probably not just for hormones.
3. You will find quite a few ideas on this board if you poke around. Here are some:
  • Decreased liver detoxification
  • Poor gastrointestinal health
  • Altered adrenal function
  • Blood sugar and insulin issues
  • Altered enzyme activity – aromatase, 5-alpha reductase, and others
  • Compromised pituitary function

someguy01

Awards
Thank you both. TheMatrix, I'd love a referral to a doctor who could help figure this out. I'm near Tulsa, OK. I have a doctor but he refuses to look into the issue any further so it's time to try someone else.

Do you know whether amphetamine-based medications could have thrown off any of the lab results I posted above? If I've been on the medication every day for several months and also took it on the day of the blood draw then would the results possibly show different levels than what my baseline was before starting the meds?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Have a Dr in ok city be glad to refer you too

someguy01

Awards
Have a Dr in ok city be glad to refer you too
Yes, please. OKC is a fairly long drive but I'd be willing to do it if he's better at diagnosing and treating this type of issue than anyone closer.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Yes, please. OKC is a fairly long drive but I'd be willing to do it if he's better at diagnosing and treating this type of issue than anyone closer.
He follows same methodology I tend to use. We have worked together before. I will give him a call for you. Dr's really good and he does a lot charity work outside the office