How much Vitamin D

Bob Jones

Awards
Now Dr. wants me to take large amounts of Vitamin D , Like 10,000 Ui .
What is the deal with Vitamin D , I thought recent info says that high doses are not good .

ntornado

Awards
Did the doc measure your levels?

Nothing wrong with 10,000 IU a day to get your levels into the correct range but once you get there you can taper down to a maintenance dose.

I take 5000 IU a day. Coming in to winter there is nothing wrong with a higher dose unless you already have very high levels which most probably don't.

I believe the research says that you need to take over 20,000 IU before it becomes dangerous.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Did the doc measure your levels?

Nothing wrong with 10,000 IU a day to get your levels into the correct range but once you get there you can taper down to a maintenance dose.

I take 5000 IU a day. Coming in to winter there is nothing wrong with a higher dose unless you already have very high levels which most probably don't.

I believe the research says that you need to take over 20,000 IU before it becomes dangerous.
Most of our patients/clients reach optimal levels in 6 weeks because we use an aggressive protocol to achieve the optimal levels of 70-90. Once levels are reached the average dosages is between 6-10,000 up to 15,000 ius a day. There are many others factors that can need to be considered to why peoples levels are low. After doing several hundred peoples vitamin D levels the lowest levels are also found in texas florida, and arizona. Even had people you spend 4-5 hours in the sun a day at the beach still test vitamin D levels <30. Please get levels tested and adjust from there every 6 weeks. The dr telling you to take 2,000 ius needs to get with the times. 10 years from now average vitamin D intake will be 4,000 ius a day. I personally take 12,000 ius a day and test in upper 70 levels.

francesco

Awards
I have a total testosterone of about 4 ng/dl with 18ng/dl of vit d3.. could the two things be connected?

jgassen15

jgassen15

Awards
From what it sounds like you have to MASS quantities of Vit D for it to be harmful. I always take a lot during the winter, and I have felt better in the gym, in my head, in the bed, whereas usually in winter life blows. I think I was meant to live in the sun, and who knows when you'll get that in the Midwest. I saw some research recently that low vitamin D is one of the body's responses to chronic disease or infection, thus supplementing could be debilitate this response. However, I thought I saw later they had trouble linking low Vitamin D to any chronc disease.... go to Ergo-Log.com and type in vitamin d and there's a relatively extensive list of some of Vitamin D's purported benefits.

cumkwakka

Awards
  • Established
I have a total testosterone of about 4 ng/dl with 18ng/dl of vit d3.. could the two things be connected?
yep

as dr schulze said ive never met a man who didn't need more nutrition and as you can see it's true!

so get on the program start on 10.000 iu vitamin d daily and retest both levels in 6 weeks

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
yep

as dr schulze said ive never met a man who didn't need more nutrition and as you can see it's true!

so get on the program start on 10.000 iu vitamin d daily and retest both levels in 6 weeks
When taking vitamin D at high dosages one needs to balance it out with A, E,K other wise it can cause imbalances in these fat soluable vitamins.
It also needs to be taken with 800 mgs citrate calcium and 600-800 mgs magnesium citrate or glycineate.