Cortisol question

hypotiredRI

Awards
I recently was prescribed Cortef by my doctor. I took a 24 hour saliva test and my cortisol levels were very low. I also had taken a ACTH stimulation test earlier in the year and it looks like I have secondary Adrenal Fatigue.

So the issue is with the Pituitary gland. How difficult is it to wean off of Cortisol or is it impossible? It seems as though once you start, that's it. You need to do it for life.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Realistically as a medical question there would be very few people on here who can give you valuable advice on protocols etc. You may be able to find someone who has been through the same thing and can give you their own story.

You might be able to find a functional medicine doc to work alongside your current in an attempt to bring your own production back up.

Good luck! :)

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Realistically as a medical question there would be very few people on here who can give you valuable advice on protocols etc. You may be able to find someone who has been through the same thing and can give you their own story.

You might be able to find a functional medicine doc to work alongside your current in an attempt to bring your own production back up.

Good luck! :)
well said!

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I recently was prescribed Cortef by my doctor. I took a 24 hour saliva test and my cortisol levels were very low. I also had taken a ACTH stimulation test earlier in the year and it looks like I have secondary Adrenal Fatigue.

So the issue is with the Pituitary gland. How difficult is it to wean off of Cortisol or is it impossible? It seems as though once you start, that's it. You need to do it for life.
A good dr would look at the pathology of the problem and then work on resolving the cause. This approach will greatly reduce your chances of having to be dependent on cortef for life. One also needs to have strong nutritonal support and good life styles to over come this. Even some counseling if there is an emotional issue involved may be suggested as well.