Wilsons T3 Protocol

punxweb

Awards
My doctor suggested the WT3 protocol to combat my high RT3 values. He wanted to go through a particular compounding pharmacy that makes a slow release T3. Is there such a thing and what would be the advantage of a time release versus Cytomel. Why couldn't I just use Cytomel? If anyone has any insight on the questions, please let me know what your thoughts are.

bigbeef

bigbeef

Awards
  • Established
I am on compounded thyroid med. t3 is metabolized pretty fast and should be dosed twice a day, morning and afternoon. Dont know if there is a slow release, but if so would make once a day dosing more effective

Philec48

Awards
  • Established
The problem with slow-release thyroid meds is that the binder can work too well, passing too much of it out of the body before it can reach the blood stream. One can always up the dose (with doc's approval of course), or use the straight stuff and split up the dose throughout the day.

punxweb

Awards
That was kind of my reasoning Phil. Why cant I just multi dose the Cytomel through the day? What is the half life of T3 in the body? Isn't it like 3-4hrs?

Philec48

Awards
  • Established
I believe so punxweb. I do 25mg first thing in the morning, then another 25 a few hours later. All under the tongue until it melts. That way I don't have to worry about food binding it. I have cut them in half before for more frequent dosing. I'll do one or the other depending on mood. :)

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Are you on HC? Basically what I do is take 40-60mcg T3 only (no T4) per day, and I take 10 mcg with each dose of HC, that way I don't forget and it makes things easier since I just take everything together. I take the T3 sublingually for better absorption. If you're taking T3 every 4 hours, should be no need for time-released compounded T3. I don't think it will absorb as well that way.

punxweb

Awards
Yeah, I am on HC, 25mg per day. I will ask the doc if I can just multi dose cytomel through the day.

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
Are you sure your RT3 is to high read this link.
http://thyroid-rt3.com/
Do the test by div. FT3 by RT3 in the same units and if you can't fix the reasion for having high RT3 don't go on T3 only meds to try to fix this it will only come back up when you stop the T3 only meds. And you can't stay on T3 only meds to long it will make your SHBG go up very high and this will bind up your Free Testosterone levels.

punxweb

Awards
My RT3 levels are typically 275-225. My last test showed that my RT3 was 257 pg/ml while my FT3 was 3.1 pg/ml. 3.1:257 or 1:82. I looked at the website and it seems a little unclear. It says to divide your FT3 by your RT3. If I did that, it would be .012. It says it should be 20 or greater. With this resoning, if I had a FT3 of 5 then my RT3 should be 100 or less???

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
When you do the math make sure the untils are the same with you div.
My RT3 levels are typically 275-225. My last test showed that my RT3 was 257 pg/ml while my FT3 was 3.1 pg/ml. 3.1:257 or 1:82. I looked at the website and it seems a little unclear. It says to divide your FT3 by your RT3. If I did that, it would be .012. It says it should be 20 or greater. With this resoning, if I had a FT3 of 5 then my RT3 should be 100 or less???

punxweb

Awards
Pmgamer, the units were the same pg/ml. I am still kind of lost on this one.

pmgamer18

Awards
  • Established
I never did the math on this but are you sure your in the same units my Free T3 levels are pg/dl and are 371 my RT3 is in ng/dl at 27 and I have no idea how to get them in the same units. Maybe Jan will see this and fix this.
Pmgamer, the units were the same pg/ml. I am still kind of lost on this one.

punxweb

Awards
I am an engineer and good with math and metric prefixes. That would make your FT3 levels 3.71pg/ml and your RT3 270pg/ml. Those numbers are still no too far off from mine. I did some more reading on the subject and I still do not understand the ratio thing. If I figure it out, I will let you know.