Confused & Frustrated

Bigdaddy46

Awards
Hey Guys, need some help. Went to the Dr. in 5/09 had a slew of tests done with following results:

Result Units Ref Range
Test, total 304 ng/dl 250-1100
Test, Free 53.5 pg/ml 46.0 - 224.0
Test, Bioaval 105.4 ng/dl 110.0 - 575.0
SHBG 22 nmol/L 9-45
HCG, Total <2 mIU/ml 0-5
Prolactin 5.1
Estradiol <32 pg/ml 0-54
LH 8.1 Miu/ml 1.5-9.3
TSH 1.87 0.30-5.00

Dr. says I'm in normal range. I am 49 and told dr. about loss of libido, energy, weight gain. Went to my primary dr. and showed him and he agreed that numbers are low, so he then sent me to an endo. he looked at numbers and said, you are fine and tried to prescribe an anti-depressant and I told him to stick it. He then ordered some more tests.
This time total test was 244 and free test was 1.52, units %, ref range 1.5-2.2 and free test 37.0 pg/ml, ref range 35.0 -155.0.
Went back to primary dr. again and he wants to send me to another endo. he tells me he will treat me with test if endo backs him up. I am frustrated as hell at this point. All test we done by Quest Diagnostics. I live in Northern Nevada and need a doctor that will listen.

Bigdaddy46

Awards
Also second tests were done 9/2009. Thanks for any help. I am a personal trainer and knowledgable in diet and exercise and work out 4-5 days per week.

punxweb

Awards
Looks like you need more testing. Your testosterone values are low. The one thing I do notice is that your LH is high while you testosterone values are low. That would indicate that your are primary. Either testosterone cream or injections would help alot. I would try to find the root cause before jumping on HRT. You need more tests for thyroid and adrenals.

Bigdaddy46

Awards
Thanks, getting ready to make another appt. with a new endo tomorrow. Will tell him to check those things.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
You are in a typical situation a lot of us here have been through.

LH being 8 is a dead give away.

If this next endo doesnt help you, you need to find an anti-aging clinic, I would do a google search or look in your phone directory.
The 1st one I went to the doctor wanted to put me on T cream even though i requested gel (it should be the patients choice even endos know this). The 2nd one I went to I had better lucky and have been going there ever since without any problems at all.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You're 46 with low end range testosterone. As mentioned above, you need an anti-aging doctor, not an endo.

I recommend you google a compounding pharmacy and ask them if they would be generous enough to share their prescriber list.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
You're 46 with low end range testosterone. As mentioned above, you need an anti-aging doctor, not an endo.

I recommend you google a compounding pharmacy and ask them if they would be generous enough to share their prescriber list.
Not enough info to conclude jack squat other then most likely the idiots ran the wriong e2 test that on is invalid. They never check your vitamin D levels, ferritin or properly assessed your thyroid or cortisol function, missed DHEA-s.
You are low testosterone yes but also look at how much fat is on your body as well as what you eat drink and air we breath. Nevada was used for nuclear testing so there is enviormental pollution probably stored in your blood from parents. Again the list goes on and on..

Bigdaddy46

Awards
The endo dr. did have my Vita-D checked and it was 48 with a reference range of 20-100. I am soon to be 49 yrs. old and 5'11", 214 lbs. @16% BF. so I don't see my bodyfat levels affecting my test levels. If I was considered obese then I could understand it. It's funny the first thing they want to do is put you on an anti-depressant when you describe your symptoms even though they have the lab work in hand. If this endo does nothing for me and my primary care Dr. won't step up to the plate then I am definietly going to find an anti-aging dr. because I am not going to set back and accept this.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nevada was used for nuclear testing so there is enviormental pollution probably stored in your blood from parents. Again the list goes on and on..
We are all in the process of undergoing environmental testing.

Just saying... ;)

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
The endo dr. did have my Vita-D checked and it was 48 with a reference range of 20-100. I am soon to be 49 yrs. old and 5'11", 214 lbs. @16% BF. so I don't see my bodyfat levels affecting my test levels. If I was considered obese then I could understand it. It's funny the first thing they want to do is put you on an anti-depressant when you describe your symptoms even though they have the lab work in hand. If this endo does nothing for me and my primary care Dr. won't step up to the plate then I am definietly going to find an anti-aging dr. because I am not going to set back and accept this.
Below 50 ng/dl people are subseptible to bone issues.
We have our goals set 65-90 ng/dl

Philec48

Awards
  • Established
Listen to Matrix, you need to bring up your vitamin D level. Make sure your supplement says D3 not D2. Also, take it with a little fat or oil if the capsules are powder based, to help you absorb it.

I'd get your LH checked one more time to be sure, but this time get your FSH checked as well. Your numbers do indicate possible primary failure, but other factors such as diet, body composition, sleep apnea, etc can cause the same results. If all these are corrected first, and T is still low, then you can bank on primary-hypo. You'll then need TRT.