Squatting with neck injury.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I broke my neck several years ago and never actually got immediate medical attention for it. It still moves around etc, even lateral lifts will pull at the bits that are apparently still broken off. Obviously it did not sever the spine. I was recommended surgery but I'd rather see if I can strengthen everything around it to pull it all back into place.

All that being said, traditional squats are impossible at any weight, and so I am left with front squats, leg presses, hack squats. I'd really like to figure out a way to set a bar across my back without it sitting directly on that partially dislocated and scarred up vertebra.

boooosted

boooosted

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I broke my neck several years ago and never actually got immediate medical attention for it. It still moves around etc, even lateral lifts will pull at the bits that are apparently still broken off. Obviously it did not sever the spine. I was recommended surgery but I'd rather see if I can strengthen everything around it to pull it all back into place.

All that being said, traditional squats are impossible at any weight, and so I am left with front squats, leg presses, hack squats. I'd really like to figure out a way to set a bar across my back without it sitting directly on that partially dislocated and scarred up vertebra.
Low bar back squats. I don't see there being a problem if it is actually cervical rather than thoracic. You will be leaning forward more than you would with a front squat, so as long as it's only due to the pressure of the bar and not the motion itself I would think you will be ok.

They also make a pad called the stingray or manta ray, something like that. It's more than just the normal foam pads so that could be another option too.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I actually found a pretty solid pad lying around at the gym tonight and pulled off a 335lb squat for a PR which is nuts. I’m not nearly as big as I used to be. But yeah, it’s the pressure of the bar. It’s right on top of the injury. I won’t be doing that again, probably for quite some time. I’ve been doing front squats, and hack squats, and just added leg presses in this week for a break from squats. I had just felt a bit bummed and wanted to really try and squat some good weight though so I went for one since that pad was there.

Rich Bert

Awards
Go back to a doctor.

This will only get worse if you actually have a neck break.