Pinched Nerve in Neck

Pieisyum

Awards
I'm looking for some advice on an injury I've had a few weeks ago.

Background:
A few weeks ago while benching I felt a sort of crunching spasm from my neck to half way down my back, right along my spine. Any neck movement hurt pretty bad and would cause shooting pain down my right arm, chest, and a down my back a little - I couldn't even put a shirt on.

I didn't lift for about a week, medicating with some ibuprofen/ice and it slowly got better to the point where now I have almost zero pain and I have been able to lift just like I was before with the exception of pressing movements.

My first day pressing after my injury (still with no pain) I was able to bench up to 280 for a few reps, down from 3x5x315 pre-injury. I figured I was just recovering and switched to a de-load week with no noticeable issues.

Now another week later I can barely bench 175lb, and I can barely shoulder press 50lb dumbbells. There still isn't any pain but I've noticed I can't contract my right pec nearly as much as I should be able to and the pressing movements are a bit "wobbly" or "unstable."

The only pain I feel in any way is when i bend my neck back/chin up. I can feel a sharp steady pain from my right trap all the way down my right arm.

I currently don't have insurance but I'll probably get an MRI anyways if it doesn't improve over a few more weeks. Before I do that though I wanted to get some opinions on at what point do injuries like this require surgery to prevent severe atrophy/nerve damage.

suavmcgauv

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I am not the best when it comes to physical therapy, but think that I may have a similar injury that I am still healing from. It sounds almost like a torn rotator. I would quit with heavy chest stuff for a while, and work on strengthening the shoulders and doing rotator cuff rehab exercises. Face pulls are one I find help as well as super light dumbbells, front and side lifts.

Surgery is the last option for me. I cannot stomach the thought, and it may help, but you will never be 100% after surgically alterations. Also risk of going under anesthesia is never thought of but can cause issues for some. I hear good things about peptides, tb-500 and bpc-157, havent tried them myself. HGH is suposed to be the best for healing. You could try mk-677 instead to save some $.

I personaly would run a long cyce of some HRT and low dose Nandralone or Anavar and either gh or MK. I know that you didn't post in the Anabolics section, but just my 2cents. I wouldn't lift super heavy on cycle either, maybe run and do some cardio with light weights, and let the drugs work on your healing your damaged tissues, vs building new muscle tissues aka gainz. Also, running has to my surprise really helped me with posture issues which can be a root cause of shoulder injury, slimming down midsection especially has helped get my shoulder strength back.

Pieisyum

Awards
Yeah I've been eyeballing the peptide/anabolic route. I didn't post this in the anabolic section because I'm actually just finishing up a PCT so I have a little while before I hop on another cycle. I've been reading a lot about BPC-157 and MK677 for recovery and may give them a shot.

So far I haven't had any issues pulling. I was able to do rear delt flies, face pulls, upright rows, and dead lifts all just like normal. I'm hoping I can do some stretching and slowly increase weight and work on contractions to get things going.

At this point, besides eventually needing surgery, my biggest concern is minimizing/avoiding atrophy and muscle loss.

I'll have to try the running bit. I know my posture hasn't been the greatest since I lounge around in an office chair all day. It wasn't until I put a mirror in my basement (home gym bro) that I realized I was raising my right shoulder a bit higher than my left during a lot of overhead movements. Not sure if stuff like that contributes to injuries like this one, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

jonnyroyal86

Awards
I had surgery on 6-19 , replaced to discs in my neck C4-5 n 6-7. Always felt pain in my rotator n trap thought it was injury from heavy lifting, grappling, n Thai box. But MRI revealed bulging discs, resulting in trap n scapula pain also arm n hand tingling n going numb. I battled this injury for 10yrs, but it caught up to me n before I had permanent nerve n tendon damage I got op. Best advice get MRI n take it easy on your press days. Good luck bro. And if you are on the gear, more power to you. I think, that's what helped me through . I'm recovering a lot quicker than most patients, my surgeon said.

Pieisyum

Awards
I've injured my neck a couple times during stupid stuff. The last time I injured my neck I was picking up a dumbbell about to do some rows. I hadn't even started the actual lift, I was just picking it up. This is by far the worst injury i've ever had though.

Are there any other supplements I could take to help along the healing process? I was reading about Evomuse Nerve Restore which doesn't appear to be a thing anymore. I know BPC-157 has great feedback, are there any others that people can recommend?

Today I've been feeling some acute but sharp pain from my shoulder down to my forearm. My neck/back doesn't hurt at all and my right titty keeps spasming. Good sign?

Edit: as far as anabolics go I felt amazing on anavar but lost my hook up. If I can find another good source would anavar be a good option?

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
See a chiro who treats real (power) lifters. I agree that something is pinched and needs to un-pinched. You'll be fine.

kingjameskjf

kingjameskjf

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
See a physical therapist not a chiro. Most states have direct access so you don't need to have a physician referral. You need more testing done to see what else may be contributing and what else is involved. They can check cervical joint mobility, nerve root compression, dermatomes, myotomes, nerve tension and then give you a realistic expectation and prognosis from them. Take care of your body and avoid surgery if you can.

Pieisyum

Awards
Update - I saw an ortho who perscribed me some neurontin and methylprednisolone while I wait for my MRI on August 2nd.

At this time I have very little if any pain regardless of physical activity. I've not regained any strength back in my right pec or tricep.

I can still pull as heavy as I always have, but pushing movements are hindered on my right side.

The only additional symptom I have that started about a week ago is my right pointer finger sometimes loses sensitivity - it almost feels like the entire tip is covered in a callus. This is sometimes accompanied by tingling/numbness in my thumb, pointer, and middle finger.

I'm certainly avoiding surgery if at all possible. After the MRI and depending on what the ortho says I'm planning on seeing a physical therapist.

I'm also going to be taking a low dose (10mg) of anavar over the next few weeks to see if that aids in strength, or at the least hopefully will keep any muscle atrophy at bay.

I'll update in a couple weeks

suavmcgauv

Awards
  • First Up Vote
This is nagging me, are you on HRT or running a test base? Running Anavar only probably is part of the reason that you injured yourself. You added a ton of strength without adding any "wet" compounds that help with retaining fluid and protecting joints, protecting against injury etc. Plus, the Anavar shuts down Test which subsequently lowers E2 which means you are going to be extra dry, yet strong and pushing your lifts. This puts too much strain on Tendons. I would move this thread to the Anabolics section in order to get better advice on treatment.

suavmcgauv

Awards
  • First Up Vote
How long after your Anavar cycle? Did you run any PCT? Just digging for info.

I hurt my shoulder benching when I was not running any anything, just overeager and bad form, I was doing bench lying on a heavy bag on the floor and was picking the bar up from behind my head. Shoulder/pec just would'nt heal, shoulder joint destabilized, tricep atrophied big time, numbness in fingers and hand as you described, also neck mobility. I had to take off of work too because I couldn't drive.

Granted anabolics have seemed to helped me, they are not a quick fix. The longer that I have been on, the better I am healing up, but still improving and not 100. That is why I run a low dose of TRT, becasue as long as I am replacing my T, I can run other stuff as long as needed, with HPTA shutdown being of no short-term consequence.

Borashi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I highly recommend A.R.T. Therapy. I had a pinched nerve in my shoulder, 2 weeks ago, Chiropractor cleared it up in 2 treatments. It's effective, it works. Electric stimulation therapy helps as well.

jonnyroyal86

Awards
Did you get MRI? If so what showed up? Your symptoms sound like mine. Keep us posted.

Pieisyum

Awards
Sorry for not updating - I don't post very often so I totally forget I even made this post LOL

I had an MRI about three weeks ago. The notes from my MRI are "Focal right paracentral and foraminal soft disc extrusion at C6-C7 results in severe proximal right foraminal stenosis at this level."

I had a cortisone injection about two weeks ago which helped alleviate the severity of most of my symptoms. I am slowly recovering strength and the little pain I have will come and go very quickly. My original injury is now about 3 months ago, give or take a week.

What still remains is that my entire right arm will fall asleep if I lean forward/bend over to a certain point. For example, if I'm at my computer and I'm leaning forward on my desk my arm will fall asleep within 15-20 seconds. This will quickly subside if I simply lean back.

The doctor has recommended physical therapy which I am planning to start in another couple weeks, probably after I see a chiro. My var cycle starts this weekend so I'm hoping to let that kick in a bit before I start anything.

jonnyroyal86

Awards
Sounds like you're on track to recovery, the Var will help. Good luck n listen to your body. Thanks for the update, I forget I post n ask questions too haha.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm looking for some advice on an injury I've had a few weeks ago.

Background:
A few weeks ago while benching I felt a sort of crunching spasm from my neck to half way down my back, right along my spine. Any neck movement hurt pretty bad and would cause shooting pain down my right arm, chest, and a down my back a little - I couldn't even put a shirt on.

I didn't lift for about a week, medicating with some ibuprofen/ice and it slowly got better to the point where now I have almost zero pain and I have been able to lift just like I was before with the exception of pressing movements.

My first day pressing after my injury (still with no pain) I was able to bench up to 280 for a few reps, down from 3x5x315 pre-injury. I figured I was just recovering and switched to a de-load week with no noticeable issues.

Now another week later I can barely bench 175lb, and I can barely shoulder press 50lb dumbbells. There still isn't any pain but I've noticed I can't contract my right pec nearly as much as I should be able to and the pressing movements are a bit "wobbly" or "unstable."

The only pain I feel in any way is when i bend my neck back/chin up. I can feel a sharp steady pain from my right trap all the way down my right arm.

I currently don't have insurance but I'll probably get an MRI anyways if it doesn't improve over a few more weeks. Before I do that though I wanted to get some opinions on at what point do injuries like this require surgery to prevent severe atrophy/nerve damage.
That actually happened to the guy I have had on the chaos and pain podcast with me. He turned out needing surgery. I'll see if I can't get him to go into detail next episode but in the meantime, it sounds like nerve damage. You notice any atrophy? (muscle loss). I would contact your gp asap. ED Had his surgery and is feeling much better now.

jonnyroyal86

Awards
Ouch, sounds like you hinged something, that needs to be unhinged. Best advice listen to your body, get the MRI n hopefully you just need to get adjusted by the chiro, or get physical therapy. Good luck.

Pieisyum

Awards
For what it's worth - all of my symptoms have disappeared (as of 2-3 weeks ago) and all my lifts are back to normal or better.

I feel like a cortisone shot did indeed help but I'm pretty convinced I would have healed completely, though maybe not quite as quickly, without one.

I ran my anavar cycle @60mg and I think that made a big difference. I've been in PCT for a few weeks and I'm still feeling great.

The only side-effect/sympton that remains... is that now I'm paranoid benching heavy. I've managed to hit my previous heaviest set of 3x5x315 but since then I've been sticking to heavy dumbbells.