Chest pain right where deltoid meets chest

MrManlet

MrManlet

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, took the weekend off of training then came back today more aggressive then ever. I was doing bench after I stretched (honestly I rushed through stretching today) and on one of my heavy sets I felt very aggressive so I did the movements hard and fast, and I’m gonna say about 3 reps in on 245 I started feeling a sharp jagged pain in my left pec, but I finished 3 more reps anyway figuring it was just the muscle stretching. However, this prevented me from doing anymore chest workouts and I ended up doing legs, but even picking up plates to put on the barbell was causing sharp pain! My question is, will this most likely resolve itself within a couple days? And what can I do in the gym to avoid taking off? Is pulling movements okay? Thanks for any advice

MrManlet

MrManlet

Awards
  • Established
Also should I be stretching it? Or leave it alone for a couple days? It hurts when I stretch

MrManlet

MrManlet

Awards
  • Established
No one has experienced this? Any input appreciated. It’s two days later and while it doesn’t hurt at rest it does cause pain if I use the muscle at all

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I will try to help, although it's not always easy to do so on the forum. My first guess is that it's a biceps tendonitis.

Watch some YouTube palpation videos to determine the structure. Then we can discuss some protocols.

MrManlet

MrManlet

Awards
  • Established
I read something about that on google although I don’t understand how it would involve my bicep as the pain is only when I put strain on the pec itself

Toff

Awards
  • Established
you mean your sternum? yes always aches and also if i sleep funny (arms in front)

MrManlet

MrManlet

Awards
  • Established
It’s like the part of the front of your deltoid that connects to your chest. However I think I’d be able to workout shoulders without much discomfort. It’s only putting load directly on chest like push anything straight out. But I just admit, it’s simmered down a little bit the pst couple days so I do think it might resolve itself. And again, in case anyone else experiences this, it happened from benching, I believe my form broke and I pushed my elbows outwards putting stress on my deltoid which might of over stretched. Googling the symptoms gives scary descriptions of partial and full tears of the pectoral, however I don’t believe that’s what this is. I believe I simply put stress on the muscle in a way it’s not designed to handle causing an overstretch. I think it might take a week or two before I can return to heavy loads. I’ll report back with updates

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Agreed. This isn't a pec tear. I'm still guessing biceps tendonitis.

When we stress the pec or delts in a suboptimal way (maybe going too deep for a common example), the long head of the biceps can try to kick in to stabilize the shoulder. Interestingly, I've encountered quite a few that don't have pain when working the biceps directly.

Again not diagnosing, just an internet guess.

MrManlet

MrManlet

Awards
  • Established
Well regardless I appreciate the input. And yea I worked out my biceps yesterday and it didn’t cause pain, the only time I feel anything it’s slight (and I mean ever so slight) discomfort when I shrug my shoulders back to get into perfect form for bicep curls

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It sounds like something is just slightly imbalanced from that one aggressive bench day.

I think 2 quick fixes that could help would be a cuff warm up and biceps/pec stretching.

Maybe you do these already but u can do internal and external rotations with a band. I prefer to do them super slow and really push blood into the muscle for 2 or 3 sets of 5 before any upper body days. But you probably could use any pace, set/rep combo that you prefer.

Then stretch your biceps and pecs often through out any upper routine. I don't think you need to stretch aggressively. Just do it going through the motions of the stretch to be sure a tight pec or biceps isn't the culprit in the first place.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Id try some fricton massage, deep tissue, myofascial release, and physical therapy . If it hurts stop immediately