hurt my back deadlifting... sugg.

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
so 2 weeks ago was doing heavy deadlifting was on my 3 set of 405x5 made it to the 3rd rep and heard a rip or tearing sound in my middle lower back.
Now I am still feeling some aching and a pinch nerve feeling shooting down the back of my left leg. I have still been training a little but doing a little lesser weight with less intensity. Taking anti inflamatories and Tylenol is helping the pain go away but it's like a band aid anyone have any similar problems like this and do I just need to completely take some time off from the gym or suggedtions? I don't have insurance and kind of hoping the problem will fix it's self.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sounds like a pinched sciatic nerve. I pinched that nasty bugger about a year ago at work and was forced to take a break from lifting as I couldn’t feel my left leg and pretty much had to drag it around with me. About the tearing sound you heard though I’m not really sure. Hopefully nothing too serious.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Once you determine what the tearing sound was and if you are able to, stretch and foam roll it to high hell

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like a pinched sciatic nerve. I pinched that nasty bugger about a year ago at work and was forced to take a break from lifting as I couldn’t feel my left leg and pretty much had to drag it around with me. About the tearing sound you heard though I’m not really sure. Hopefully nothing too serious.
how long of a break did you take and did you have any weird nerve feeling in you middle back pelvis area? right around the top of the butt

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I had to stop for about 4 months. But I literally could not feel my left leg. It was asleep all the time. I felt it originate deep in the dead center of my left glute, then shot down behind my knee and down the front of my shin. My middle pelvis area started hurting after a few weeks when I had to compensate for my limp. So right off the bat no.

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
I had to stop for about 4 months. But I literally could not feel my left leg. It was asleep all the time. I felt it originate deep in the dead center of my left glute, then shot down behind my knee and down the front of my shin. My middle pelvis area started hurting after a few weeks when I had to compensate for my limp. So right off the bat no.
I dunno if I can handle 4 MOnths the out.. did you just quit the gym all together

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yes. Worst 4 months of my life. Probably would have recovered faster but my job is very physical and not working was not an option as I have a family to support. But when I got back to lifting it was like beginner gains all over again. First few weeks I felt like a total puss though. Humbling.

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
so 2 weeks ago was doing heavy deadlifting was on my 3 set of 405x5 made it to the 3rd rep and heard a rip or tearing sound in my middle lower back.
Now I am still feeling some aching and a pinch nerve feeling shooting down the back of my left leg. I have still been training a little but doing a little lesser weight with less intensity. Taking anti inflamatories and Tylenol is helping the pain go away but it's like a band aid anyone have any similar problems like this and do I just need to completely take some time off from the gym or suggedtions? I don't have insurance and kind of hoping the problem will fix it's self.
I stopped doing deads completely because of this. I have 3 herniated discs in my back but doing dls would often give me pain and back spasms. I finally just cut them out as they're not healthy for me. Anti inflammatories and rest until it heals. Usually about 7-10 days for it to completely go away for me.

At 40 I found myself reevaluating how I train and a lot of my goals. Things have shifted to a more healthy long term approach rather than size and strength.

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
I stopped doing deads completely because of this. I have 3 herniated discs in my back but doing dls would often give me pain and back spasms. I finally just cut them out as they're not healthy for me. Anti inflammatories and rest until it heals. Usually about 7-10 days for it to completely go away for me.

At 40 I found myself reevaluating how I train and a lot of my goals. Things have shifted to a more healthy long term approach rather than size and strength.
yeah I feel you man I'm 34 and things just aren't like they used to be and don't heal and get over things bear as quick...

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
First, get an MRI to make sure it’s not a herniated disc. If you have radiating pain down your leg it could be the disc abutted against a nerve root.

Second, you need to be strengthening your core and erectors, they’re a big part of spinal bracing and eliminating unnecessary movement.

There are a few guys on this forum who have herniated/bulged discs and still actively compete in powerlifting.

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
First, get an MRI to make sure it’s not a herniated disc. If you have radiating pain down your leg it could be the disc abutted against a nerve root.

Second, you need to be strengthening your core and erectors, they’re a big part of spinal bracing and eliminating unnecessary movement.

There are a few guys on this forum who have herniated/bulged discs and still actively compete in powerlifting.
yeah I new my form was going down hill on that rep and continued threw with it anyway very bad idea....

diablo79

Awards
Hello Swindler,

I have had ongoing lower back pain that is aggravated with deadlifts, however I took about four months off and refreshed, when I came back to deadlifts following my break I was stronger than ever before and improved on my previous pr's, sometimes you just need to rest?

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
Hello Swindler,

I have had ongoing lower back pain that is aggravated with deadlifts, however I took about four months off and refreshed, when I came back to deadlifts following my break I was stronger than ever before and improved on my previous pr's, sometimes you just need to rest?
well that sounds positive how long did it take you to get back to your previous working weight

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Swindler
What is the status of your back and nerve, feelin better?

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
Swindler
What is the status of your back and nerve, feelin better?
well I went and trained again last night working back and everything was fine and dandy till I got to shoulder shrugs and aggregated it again so I feel a slight nerve feeling in the lower pelvis area. not feeling the nerve down the back of the legs as much but when walking my quad and sometimes my ham will almost like cramp up but as soon as I stop walking it goes away.... I really hate the idea of taking time off but its.prolly gonna be my only option cause every time I train it seems to aggregate it even when I do chest...

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
**** man, sorry to hear it. I remember feeling any spinal compression would send jolts screaming down my left side. Sitting in a car or chair was the worst feeling as well. One thing that helped tremendously was when the old lady drug me in to bed bath and beyond, I picked up this azz pad designed for sciatic nerve relief and a back buddy massage bar. I wish I would have had those two things right off the get go. Works wonders for sure

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
yes sitting can really get a strong nerve feeling can't get comfortable at all in my recliner

diablo79

Awards
well that sounds positive how long did it take you to get back to your previous working weight
It was a matter of weeks, albeit as my 4 month break was only off deadlifts I still continued strengthening with other back exercises and core work, it was hard though as there is no other feeling like picking up heavy sh!t off the floor, so I missed it but in the end it was all the better for it, I do think in your case having a tearing noise happen you should also get that seen by a chiro though, I say this but I am terrible for it as I usually just ease off with injuries and wait for my body to heal, good luck brother!

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
Back in business?
my back is finally getting better I just have to be careful with certain lifts like deadlift and over hear military press... been using a belt for everything even benchpress... but things are looking up I was scared at first but all is looking well

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
my back is finally getting better I just have to be careful with certain lifts like deadlift and over hear military press... been using a belt for everything even benchpress... but things are looking up I was scared at first but all is looking well
Nice. Glad it wasn’t anything too debilitating.

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
Nice. Glad it wasn’t anything too debilitating.
aww man tell me about... I just glad things are going in a positive direction it all set me back on my deadlift and squats big time but everything seem to be going in the right direction atm.....

diablo79

Awards
Swindler great to hear you are back on it, subbing your comment above verbatim this is me completely it’s like you stole my words, smash them weights bruh!!!!
Another thing though my belt has become my best companion but it has helped build my core immensely I have a better work out with and can push myself more but overall I feel stronger even when I’m not using it.

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
Swindler great to hear you are back on it, subbing your comment above verbatim this is me completely it’s like you stole my words, smash them weights bruh!!!!
Another thing though my belt has become my best companion but it has helped build my core immensely I have a better work out with and can push myself more but overall I feel stronger even when I’m not using it.
man yeah I love my belt now lol

Physiqz

Awards
Glad to hear nothing serious! For me I found that really keeping my shoulders not just "back" but "down" helps to keep my chest up and my scapula retracted. Hope it keeps going well for you man