Squat Form Check ~ Fractured tailbone recovery

Phalloides

Awards
I am coming back from a 3-4 year weightlifting hiatus and completely destroyed my health while I was not lifting with a unhealthy lifestyle. I used to have a very respectable numbers and physique for someone my age. To maximize my gains I'm currently running Starting Strength to get back to my old lifting numbers. However I believe my strength is growing faster than my infrastructure. I left my ego at the door with 135 x 5 squats and now I'm up to 250 x 5 adding only 10 lbs a workout. I'm starting to have VERY serious lower back issues. I had taken a serious fall and fractured my tailbone maybe 8 months ago and it took several months for me to be able to sit down normally. The pain is still there and it almost feels like my tailbone is now deformed and sticks out and to the left more than it ever has. I have been working though the pain but alas I think 250 x 5 is my plateau in which I can't squat anymore with out focusing on my lower back / tail bone recovery.

Anyways how is my form can I have some advice on how I could adjust to take some pressure off my lower back? Also what are some things I can do to help with this kind of recovery? It's sad to know I can crush such heavier weight but can't because of pain.

twitter com/twitter/statuses/939997537787961344

Can someone put the . where it belongs and link it? I can't find anyway other way to upload from my phone/

Tanner7777

Awards
Hey man, the link did not work but I can give you a few general "fix all" suggestions for not having as much pressure on the lower back.

1) Make sure you squat high bar rather than low bar until you have proper form/ the basis to grow. You can have proper form with low bar and grow just fine with it, but since your issue seems to be lower back related low bar puts more stress on the back.

2) Glutes are your friend. Without strong glutes, you are more likely to pitch forward at the bottom of the squat. Think about driving your hips through from the bottom or thrusting out of the hole until they are fully contracted.

3) quads would be the next step to fixing lower back pain if you are tilting forward and transferring the load from your legs to your back. Weak quads mean you will want to compensate with other muscles and your back is likely stronger than your legs in this case.

4) Insure proper ankle mobility + hip mobility to stay upright. Your ankles and hips should both move to allow you to sit down and when you have the proper mobility in each you will be able to maintain a more upright position. Again, high bar will help with this starting out as you get back into your groove.

Hope this helps with part of your problem! I am no PT so with you injury and how it relates to all this I would definitely see a doctor or someone with schooling for it. This is just mainly aimed at the part of your question that deals with taking pressure off the lower back.