Shoulder Pain Dumbbell press

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
Have some painful shoulder pain when doing flat bench barbell, little worse with incline barbell press, almost unbearable with dumbell shoulder press.... I try warming up with rotator cuff exercises and rubber bands they seems to help a little... It's mainly in my left shoulder and the only conclusions I can come to is from playing baseball in school being a pitcher must have something to do with it... anyone else have this problem or know of ways to deal with it better?

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have some painful shoulder pain when doing flat bench barbell, little worse with incline barbell press, almost unbearable with dumbell shoulder press.... I try warming up with rotator cuff exercises and rubber bands they seems to help a little... It's mainly in my left shoulder and the only conclusions I can come to is from playing baseball in school being a pitcher must have something to do with it... anyone else have this problem or know of ways to deal with it better?
I stopped doing BB bench almost a year ago. It is a shoulder killer and way overrated as a chest workout, IMHO.

Look into:
-Landmine presses (one armed -or with both)
-DB hex presses
-elevated push ups
-cables

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
I stopped doing BB bench almost a year ago. It is a shoulder killer and way overrated as a chest workout, IMHO.

Look into:
-Landmine presses (one armed -or with both)
-DB hex presses
-elevated push ups
This program I am on is supposed to be for mass has called for barbell once a week and then bumbbells once a week... plus the bumbbells we have at the gym only go up to 90lb so it kindof limits me. I do beleive the bar is getting to me though some about being in a fixed position. I have been making gains just kind of suffering a little threw it...

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This program I am on is supposed to be for mass has called for barbell once a week and then bumbbells once a week... plus the bumbbells we have at the gym only go up to 90lb so it kindof limits me. I do beleive the bar is getting to me though some about being in a fixed position. I have been making gains just kind of suffering a little threw it...
Why do you think that sticking to certain program, to the letter, is a good idea? For any exercise you can find a better suited substitute.
I don't do DB presses either, besides hex presses (flat and inclined), and I can not say that my chest development suffered in any way.
Try using 90lbs DB's for hex presses, LOL, I dare you! You'll not use more than 70lbs, wanna bet?

[video=youtube;oL7Tb4ofKUI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL7Tb4ofKUI[/video]

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
Why do you think that sticking to certain program, to the letter, is a good idea? For any exercise you can find a better suited substitute.
I don't do DB presses either, besides hex presses (flat and inclined), and I can not say that my chest development suffered in any way.
Try using 90lbs DB's for hex presses, LOL, I dare you! You'll not use more than 70lbs, wanna bet?

[video=youtube;oL7Tb4ofKUI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL7Tb4ofKUI[/video]
Yeah I will prolly and give it a go and see how things workout...

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here on AM we have a lot of shoulder-cripples. I bet all agree that Hex press, Pullovers, Landmines and cables are all shoulder sparing exercises that work well for chest. Push ups (elevated con handles) can't be done by some -but if you can do them, they are awesome for chest, abs and triceps.

On DB days, do Hex press (inclined, flat)
On BB days do standing one armed landmines -and elevated Push ups.
For decline use cables if you can't do dips.
Problem solved and shoulder saved.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
thanx bud... I will try the hex out for sure

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
thanx bud... I will try the hex out for sure
Look into Landmines too. Manly exercise, targetting upper chest, front delt and core.

Here me, doing em:

press.jpg

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
aww yes I wasnt sure what a landmine was but yea that would be a pretty good alternative I have actually done something similar with that for abs

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
After my supraspinatus tear (rotator cuff) I had to get creative. Elevated push ups, done TUT 4.1.1 (4 sec lowering) is my flat bench substitute. After a year of doing them, I grabbed a BB to see how much I bench (one year none), I did 220lbs x11 then 265lbs x6 and never touched a BB for bench press again afterwards. I made my point. Push ups, performed right, substitutes BB bench press.

push1.jpg

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
After my supraspinatus tear (rotator cuff) I had to get creative. Elevated push ups, done TUT 4.1.1 (4 sec lowering) is my flat bench substitute. After a year of doing them, I grabbed a BB to see how much I bench (one year none), I did 220lbs x11 then 265lbs x6 and never touched a BB for bench press again afterwards. I made my point. Push ups, performed right, substitutes BB bench press.

View attachment 157711
elevated pushups kind of suprising... That tear did you go to the dr. for it or just started finding different ways of training

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
hairygrandpa is right. BB bench press is good for show, but there are other, better exercises for chest development. Plus, if you keep trying to push past your shoulder pain you'll regret it when you're our age.

And I'm surprised you're wearing a shirt hgp. Figured you'd be all about showing off that freshly shaved back

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
elevated pushups kind of suprising... That tear did you go to the dr. for it or just started finding different ways of training
I self diagnosed using instruction videos. In 30 years only visited twice a doc -because I needed a proper diagnose and labs, I don't trust mainstream medicine. 100% sure, supraspinatus tear. Could not lift a coffee cup. Found the cure involving injecting BPC and PEG-MGF, while doing rehab exercises.
Those push ups, nose touching ground, 4 sec. lowering, are not for puzzies, I tell you, LOL.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
... or just started finding different ways of training
I searched for chest exercises and began trying one by one to see if I could do them. Push ups was a no-go at first -but landmines and hex press I could do 6 weeks after the injury.

Edit: Studhorse showed me landmines, he is a shoulder-cripple too, I'm very thankful for his help

Dthcore

Dthcore

Awards
  • Established
Go get worked on man, by that I mean see a sports message therapist. But go mostly for stretches.

I had to give up lifting 5 years ago because my injuries progressed in such a bad way on my shoulders that I couldn't wipe my own ass. 2 months ago I started lifting again.

What got me to be able to lift once again was just that.

My issue was that I worked skilled laboring and was working 80 hours a week for 2 years. Never gave my body a break and it caused so much tension in my biceps tendon connecting to your front delt that it started tearing it.

Over time muscles become tense from abuse and lack of stretching them properly. First it starts with bicep tendentious and it progresses from there.

Your tendons can't heal if your muscles are so tense to the point that they are always contracted to a degree. It never allows for the tendon to have a break to heal.

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
I searched for chest exercises and began trying one by one to see if I could do them. Push ups was a no-go at first -but landmines and hex press I could do 6 weeks after the injury.

Edit: Studhorse showed me landmines, he is a shoulder-cripple too, I'm very thankful for his help
man thanx for the info I really appreciate it.....

Swindler

Swindler

Awards
  • Established
Go get worked on man, by that I mean see a sports message therapist. But go mostly for stretches.

I had to give up lifting 5 years ago because my injuries progressed in such a bad way on my shoulders that I couldn't wipe my own ass. 2 months ago I started lifting again.

What got me to be able to lift once again was just that.

My issue was that I worked skilled laboring and was working 80 hours a week for 2 years. Never gave my body a break and it caused so much tension in my biceps tendon connecting to your front delt that it started tearing it.

Over time muscles become tense from abuse and lack of stretching them properly. First it starts with bicep tendentious and it progresses from there.

Your tendons can't heal if your muscles are so tense to the point that they are always contracted to a degree. It never allows for the tendon to have a break to heal.
are you referring to your basic rotator cuff stretches. Or do they take it a littl e further?

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Glad it helped. hairygrandpa turned me onto the Hex Presses. Having a bad shoulder can really jack with working your chest more so than the shoulders!

Dthcore

Dthcore

Awards
  • Established
are you referring to your basic rotator cuff stretches. Or do they take it a littl e further?
If you go to one that knows what they are doing. They go further than that,theyll after all the muscle groups that are causing that complication. Literally makes a world of difference It did my life at least.

And what the other guy suggested as far as what workouts to do. That's true as well I don't Touch BB anymore. That ****s the devil to me LOL

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Just do exercises that dont hurt. If it hurts at all dont do it.

Keep doing rotator cuff exercises, and physical therapy, light stuff, before you do any day you use back, chest, or shoulders.

TN Lift

Awards
Might be osteoarthritis in the AC joint. Sounds just like the exercises I have shoulder pain with

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If AC joint then in my case it took six months of no chest presses of any kind except light weight DBs to bring the shoulder back to normal. I had a grade 2 injury according the visual comparison with the degrees of injury.

I recall OHP was the most affected, then bench, then incline, decline least.

Edit: I wrote least for decline and then remember the ouch.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Is the DB Hex Press more for tricep than chest? I seem to recall the closer the grip, the more it was triceps worked, wider grip, more chest. That is on a regular BB.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is the DB Hex Press more for tricep than chest? I seem to recall the closer the grip, the more it was triceps worked, wider grip, more chest. That is on a regular BB.
Both -but more chest, I guess. As you press the DB's together, it activates chest nicely -like hugging.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
If u must do barbell bench try reverse grip bench or use a football/swiss barbell to get in the work

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If u must do barbell bench try reverse grip bench or use a football/swiss barbell to get in the work
Ah, good point! Reverse grip worked for me too!

Reactions: dds
dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
Or u can do board presses....powerlifters do these to take stress off of the pecs and shoulders if the tweek themself

Or floor presses...they can act as a poor mans board press