Injury - Triceps Tendon(?)

1. Injury - Triceps Tendon(?)

Hey everyone!

Back in mid-August of this year, I managed to hurt what I thought was my elbows (right one, primarily). I'm not sure how this happened, but assuming barbell bench.

Fast forward to Labor Day (9/4), any sort of training involving arm use was so bad that I decided to see a doctor. The dr. determined it wasn't golfers/tennis elbow, and insisted it may be a triceps tendon injury (pain is just above the elbow, leading into triceps). I was prescribed methylprednisone for a week that did practically nothing. He said to wait 7 weeks, lift lightly for a week, and come see him if the injury persists. I believe I saw him 9/12, so 7 weeks would put me at next week to start lifting again.

My current state is - this sucks. I still have pain squeezing things (such as a sponge washing dishes lol), and even carrying gallons of milk into my house. I know the next step he's likely going to suggest is a cortisone shot, but, from what I know, this seems to merely be a band-aid.

My questions are:
    - Should I push for an MRI if it's not initially suggested?
    - Has anyone else dealt with a triceps tendon issue? Seems kind of common.
    - How long did it take you to recover? Surgery?

Thanks in advance!

2. Yes get an MRI so you know if its torn or not
    Ive dealt this it. Fricton massage works well. Getting blood in there with exercises that dont bother it. Dont do any thing that bothers it above a 7 on a scale of 1-10, even then pat attention to your body, if it hurts, stop it.
    Mines gotten better over time. I still watch it and if its painful above a 7 on a 1-10 scale, I stop asap
    Millennium Sport Technologies Representative
    Mind and Muscle Code AM10
    Classic Physique competitor, Facebook- Great Physique Fitness, Online coaching
    •   

3. Deff get an MRI. You need to know what you r dealing with before you can treat it. If itís a small tear and not a full, I would go more conservative and try out Prp or prolo therapy and try to get the tissue to scar over. If you r still lifting in assuming itís not a full year. Also look into Graston, ART, and dry needling. I do all of these in my office and itís a common complaint that is fairly easy to fix if you f nd the right Dr. But before doing any aggressive muscle work you need an MRI, mostly based on how l by you had this injury

4. Quote Originally Posted by blongo804 View Post
    Hey everyone!

Back in mid-August of this year, I managed to hurt what I thought was my elbows (right one, primarily). I'm not sure how this happened, but assuming barbell bench.

Fast forward to Labor Day (9/4), any sort of training involving arm use was so bad that I decided to see a doctor. The dr. determined it wasn't golfers/tennis elbow, and insisted it may be a triceps tendon injury (pain is just above the elbow, leading into triceps). I was prescribed methylprednisone for a week that did practically nothing. He said to wait 7 weeks, lift lightly for a week, and come see him if the injury persists. I believe I saw him 9/12, so 7 weeks would put me at next week to start lifting again.

My current state is - this sucks. I still have pain squeezing things (such as a sponge washing dishes lol), and even carrying gallons of milk into my house. I know the next step he's likely going to suggest is a cortisone shot, but, from what I know, this seems to merely be a band-aid.

My questions are:
    - Should I push for an MRI if it's not initially suggested?
    - Has anyone else dealt with a triceps tendon issue? Seems kind of common.
    - How long did it take you to recover? Surgery?

Thanks in advance!
    Yes, get the scan. Until those results, you are rolling the dice. Get a copy of the report too for your files. I had a doc "read" the scan from his screen. When I asked for a copy, it was like "how f---g dare you..."

Been there with the injury and rehab. Fight back.

Write back anytime.

5. Thank you for all the help everyone! I began lifting again last week and have no pain until I do anything that resembles a bicep curl. Once my arms get at the top of a curl rep, it feels like the triceps tendon stretches or something and a hard/sharp pain comes on. Honestly though, as long as I leave out any sort of bicep work, I'm fine for the moment. I have a follow up with the doctor on 11/21 and will be pushing for an MRI before he tries shoving a cortisone shot down my throat (not literally of course, but you know lol).
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by blongo804 View Post
    Thank you for all the help everyone! I began lifting again last week and have no pain until I do anything that resembles a bicep curl. Once my arms get at the top of a curl rep, it feels like the triceps tendon stretches or something and a hard/sharp pain comes on. Honestly though, as long as I leave out any sort of bicep work, I'm fine for the moment. I have a follow up with the doctor on 11/21 and will be pushing for an MRI before he tries shoving a cortisone shot down my throat (not literally of course, but you know lol).
    Have u tryed hammer curls or reverse grip curls? When i do barbell or DB curls with palms up i get pain in my bicep/elbow area

7. Quote Originally Posted by blongo804 View Post
    Thank you for all the help everyone! I began lifting again last week and have no pain until I do anything that resembles a bicep curl. Once my arms get at the top of a curl rep, it feels like the triceps tendon stretches or something and a hard/sharp pain comes on. Honestly though, as long as I leave out any sort of bicep work, I'm fine for the moment. I have a follow up with the doctor on 11/21 and will be pushing for an MRI before he tries shoving a cortisone shot down my throat (not literally of course, but you know lol).
    I did not train biceps separately for years, rows and pull/ chin ups are mostly enough, don't worry.
    Life is fair it's your expectations that aren't.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Best Peptides for injury healing/tendonitis
    By factsmachine in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-02-2014, 11:34 PM
  2. tendonitis in triceps
    By elscotto in forum MMA
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-26-2008, 11:33 PM
  3. IGF-1 TENDOn/LIGAMENT injury
    By dangerbird in forum IGF-1/GH