Knee injury questions?

Adderhold

Awards
*incoming long story*

4 years ago I hurt my knee on two different occasions but the same thing happened. The first time I was getting in my truck and my left knee twisted and made very loud popping and crunching sounds. It felt like I could've done a 360 degree turn on top of my knee. The second time I was walking and when I stepped down on my left leg(it's my left knee that's hurt btw) made the same popping and loud crunching noises and I was in the most intense pain of my life.

I went to a doctor and was told I just had fluid under my knee cap and I was prescribed ibuprofen...seriously? Ever since then my knee has never been the same. I can no longer squat without knee sleeves or leg press without them, my knee will feel like it's caving in when I'm walking sometimes, I can't fully extend my leg without my knee hurting and also the other day I bent over at work and I heard a loud pop in my knee and now 4 days later I'm still hurting. Anyone have any ideas on what may be the case? I plan on going to a doctor soon but can't right now.

(Forgot to mention that at the time of me going to the doctor my knee was swollen to about the size of a basketball and was completely blue and purple, sadly I don't have pictures)

Parables7

Parables7

Awards
Ive had that happen before when I went to boot camp in the military (slamming down on rocks on my right knee). It was a fluid build up and it went away on its own. If it doesn't - you may have to get it drained.

My knee also will swell from time to time (and make that clicking popping noise) but it doesn't hurt bad. It usually goes away on its own.

Do you have lidocaine rub or patches?

Adderhold

Awards
I don't have any of that. It sort of feels like something is twisting around behind my knee cap whenever I preform a squatting motion, would you still think this is fluid build up or could it be something else? It's crazy to me that it's been hurt basically for 4 years now.

81dcs

81dcs

Awards
  • Established
I have similar problems with same knee. Bout 13 yrs ago I wrecked a motorcycle and I didn't break n e thing but they say, I kinda tore 2 ligaments or like way over stretched it, guess foot got caught when I was trying 2 shift. Idk don't remember, but maybe u tore something r over stretched it and ur getting fluid behind ur knee. Wish u luck, cause mine gives me trouble constantly so I compensate with other side, it sucks but try keeping ice on it and use some sort of comfortable brace. Best wishes.

DonutsNDeads

DonutsNDeads

Awards
*incoming long story*

4 years ago I hurt my knee on two different occasions but the same thing happened. The first time I was getting in my truck and my left knee twisted and made very loud popping and crunching sounds. It felt like I could've done a 360 degree turn on top of my knee. The second time I was walking and when I stepped down on my left leg(it's my left knee that's hurt btw) made the same popping and loud crunching noises and I was in the most intense pain of my life.

I went to a doctor and was told I just had fluid under my knee cap and I was prescribed ibuprofen...seriously? Ever since then my knee has never been the same. I can no longer squat without knee sleeves or leg press without them, my knee will feel like it's caving in when I'm walking sometimes, I can't fully extend my leg without my knee hurting and also the other day I bent over at work and I heard a loud pop in my knee and now 4 days later I'm still hurting. Anyone have any ideas on what may be the case? I plan on going to a doctor soon but can't right now.

(Forgot to mention that at the time of me going to the doctor my knee was swollen to about the size of a basketball and was completely blue and purple, sadly I don't have pictures)
I work in the orthopedic field, sports medicine to be exact. It sounds like you could have torn your meniscus or more seriously your ACL. And because you mentioned the bruising and serious swelling I do think it is more than likely the ACL. Does your knee feel extremely unstable and like it’s going to give out constantly?

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Its very strange that with that bruising and swelling your doc didn't order an MRI after all this time. Have you done physical therapy for it? If your still in pain and have noticeable limitations with your daily lifestyle then its time to get a new doc and work towards receiving an MRI. PT may help it and make it so you dont need one if its simply a kneecap issue. Its possible that you tore your ACL (popping after a twisting mechanism and bruising following), quite possibly a Meniscus (tearing this cartilage sucks). I do believe your past the point of guesswork. You are paying for insurance im sure so put it to use for you. Time to get that knee straight

Parables7

Parables7

Awards
I don't have any of that. It sort of feels like something is twisting around behind my knee cap whenever I preform a squatting motion, would you still think this is fluid build up or could it be something else? It's crazy to me that it's been hurt basically for 4 years now.
Yes 4 years is a long time. I believe you should really get a professional involved. Sometimes, untreated, a small problem can cascade into a litany of bigger problems. Wish you well

Adderhold

Awards
Yes actually it does, like I mentioned above when I walk it will sometimes go back wards and kind of feel like it's caving in on me.

DonutsNDeads

DonutsNDeads

Awards
Yes actually it does, like I mentioned above when I walk it will sometimes go back wards and kind of feel like it's caving in on me.
For the time being some form of compression during the day so it doesn’t give out. And attempt to get an MRI ASAP because it does sound more like an ACL tear than a meniscus tear. Best of luck.