Winger Scapula- How did you fix yours?

1. Winger Scapula- How did you fix yours?

Hi Guys,

I have had a winged scapula for quite some time, but never thought to do anything with it... after a few injuries to the shoulder/rotator cuff, I have decided to start fixing all imbalances in my body... this is my major one.

When I tense my left Lat, it feels more dense down the bottom and the middle and the top doesnt seem to tense up as much as the other parts. When I tense the other side (non winged scapula) it feels solid throughtout the whole lat.

I have tried triggerpoint therapy on it with a small hard ball to see if I can loosen up the muscle or something, there is one particular painful point at the bottom of the lat that doesnt seem to like pressure, but no where else :S

Anyone else dealt with/fixed a winged scapula, I have tried a few things on Youtube, but I dont think i have given it enough time or it doesnt work... just need some more advice haha

2. Start with press plus or press punch. Serratus anterior activity is your major player.

Internal and external rotator strenght would be the next groups I'd address. Followed by a light sleeper stretch.

Finally back way off on chest and shoulder pressing movement volume and intensity (most people dont listen to this part LOL).

You should be able to google and Youtube those to make an every other day routine. Keep the resistance low and the movements really super slow. Envision pushing blood into those small muscle groups so that they know how to stabilize and fire efficiently when called upon.

You should see improvment in 3-4 wks on this routine, pending your injury history of course.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by Sparta12 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I have had a winged scapula for quite some time, but never thought to do anything with it... after a few injuries to the shoulder/rotator cuff, I have decided to start fixing all imbalances in my body... this is my major one.

When I tense my left Lat, it feels more dense down the bottom and the middle and the top doesnt seem to tense up as much as the other parts. When I tense the other side (non winged scapula) it feels solid throughtout the whole lat.

I have tried triggerpoint therapy on it with a small hard ball to see if I can loosen up the muscle or something, there is one particular painful point at the bottom of the lat that doesnt seem to like pressure, but no where else :S

Anyone else dealt with/fixed a winged scapula, I have tried a few things on Youtube, but I dont think i have given it enough time or it doesnt work... just need some more advice haha
    Begin Supine:

Floor Angels and Pec Stretching laying on a foam roller with your arms out. Add Sh. Extensions after two weeks. Still all laying flat on the floor.

Week 4:

Standing 4ways. Stand arms lengths from the wall and place your palms flat and shrug, retract, protract, and depress your scapula. Scap depression is just the opposite of a shrug and all are for greater mobilty.

Reach Roll and Lift. Very underutilized movement pattern. Youtube it and find a way that fits you best for whats available.

Swiss Ball Ys, Ts, Ws. Start with no weight and progress weekly.

Week 6 and beyond:

Incline Pushup +. I say take your time getting here as pushups arent as easy as most people think if done technically.
    Scapular Dips
    Standing Sh. Extensions
    2 part Scap Retractions with a low cable row
    Current Log: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/291581-officially-chasing-abs.html#post5714196

4. Quote Originally Posted by TheMovement View Post
    Begin Supine:

Floor Angels and Pec Stretching laying on a foam roller with your arms out. Add Sh. Extensions after two weeks. Still all laying flat on the floor.

Week 4:

Standing 4ways. Stand arms lengths from the wall and place your palms flat and shrug, retract, protract, and depress your scapula. Scap depression is just the opposite of a shrug and all are for greater mobilty.

Reach Roll and Lift. Very underutilized movement pattern. Youtube it and find a way that fits you best for whats available.

Swiss Ball Ys, Ts, Ws. Start with no weight and progress weekly.

Week 6 and beyond:

Incline Pushup +. I say take your time getting here as pushups arent as easy as most people think if done technically.
    Scapular Dips
    Standing Sh. Extensions
    2 part Scap Retractions with a low cable row
    Thanks for that, I am doing some of these already, but will add the others in too....

Will update in 1-2 weeks

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 07-15-2010, 01:20 PM
  2. How did you guys get more test from your doctors?
    By LiveNDie in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-04-2010, 06:12 PM
  3. How do you do your shrugs?
    By Jayhawkk in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-27-2005, 12:19 PM
  4. Fruit & Veg - How do you eat yours?
    By 200wannabe in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-11-2004, 05:13 PM
  5. Replies: 3