Fingers going numb multiple times daily

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
So for the past few weeks my index, middle and ring finger on my right hand have been going numb a few times a day. Nothing else goes numb and its hard to get the feeling back.

I do have a torn rotator cuff in that shoulder along with an impingement that led to some shoulder instability. I've had this problem for a few years now.

I haven't injured anything as far as I know lately. I'm thinking I pinched a nerve in my wrist or elbow. Any insight on how to help or fix this?

Thanks

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Anytime extremities are going numb makes me think there's a blood flow issue. But you're a young guy, so that doesn't make much sense. Probably ought to get a check-up though, just to be safe.

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
Anytime extremities are going numb makes me think there's a blood flow issue. But you're a young guy, so that doesn't make much sense. Probably ought to get a check-up though, just to be safe.
Yeah my mom has a blood flow problem. Not a bad one though. So I may have gotten something hereditary. But I can normally get feeling back from blood flow numbness. This doesn't no matter what I do.

ECWHY

Awards
Would probably just go see your doctor. Could be a lot of things

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
Would probably just go see your doctor. Could be a lot of things
Well I don't have insurance at the moment. I'm about to be 26 and was dropped by my parents insurance. My job doesn't offer it.

ECWHY

Awards
Well I don't have insurance at the moment. I'm about to be 26 and was dropped by my parents insurance. My job doesn't offer it.
So besides the injury, you haven't made any lifestyle changes since the numbness started occuring?

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
So besides the injury, you haven't made any lifestyle changes since the numbness started occuring?
Not that I can think of. I'm thinking I pinched a nerve while sleeping or at work.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Grip/elbow mechanics change with the shoulder injury. This is likely a nerve irritation and I'll take it a step further guessing that the root of the problem could be elbow tendonitis pushing on the nerve.

The blood flow suggestion isnt totally unreasonable, but doesnt really fit ur pattern of complaints.

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
Grip/elbow mechanics change with the shoulder injury. This is likely a nerve irritation and I'll take it a step further guessing that the root of the problem could be elbow tendonitis pushing on the nerve.

The blood flow suggestion isnt totally unreasonable, but doesnt really fit ur pattern of complaints.
You might be right. I've been thinking about it and I remember doing some skullcrushers while laying on a bench. Mid way through, my elbows did pop a few times and have been a little sore.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think of cervical radiculopathy.
C6-C7 nerve root in the neck:
Weakness in triceps muscle and wrist, numbness of the back of the arm and middle finger.

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
Weakness in triceps muscle and wrist, numbness of the back of the arm and middle finger.
Hmm ill have to look into that. I'm about to just pay cash and go to a doctor

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It doesnt have to be your neck. The weird thing is two nerves seem to be involved as the median nerve provides sensory innervation of the thumb, pointer, and medial half of the middle finger while the ulnar nerve provides sensory innervation to the lateral middle, ring, and pinky fingers. The C8 dermatome is the ring and pinky fingers. C7 the middle and pointer. C6 the thumb. So it'd appear youd have multilevel disc pathology if it really is coming from a cervical disc issue. Like alluded to above, there could be nerve irritation occurring anywhere from the shoulder, to the cubital tunnel in the elbow, or down into carpal tunnel of the wrist. A neurologist should be able to figure out the issue out with physical exam testing, but he/she will probably also want to get an EMG and/or CT or MRI of any of those above regions to further assess and support/refute the exam findings.

Edit: Obviously, I'm not a doctor so dont take what I just said as unquestionably correct.

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
It doesnt have to be your neck. The weird thing is two nerves seem to be involved as the median nerve provides sensory innervation of the thumb, pointer, and medial half of the middle finger while the ulnar nerve provides sensory innervation to the lateral middle, ring, and pinky fingers. The C8 dermatome is the ring and pinky fingers. C7 the middle and pointer. C6 the thumb. So it'd appear youd have multilevel disc pathology if it really is coming from a cervical disc issue. Like alluded to above, there could be nerve irritation occurring anywhere from the shoulder, to the cubital tunnel in the elbow, or down into carpal tunnel of the wrist. A neurologist should be able to figure out the issue out with physical exam testing, but he/she will probably also want to get an EMG and/or CT or MRI of any of those above regions to further assess and support/refute the exam findings.

Edit: Obviously, I'm not a doctor so dont take what I just said as unquestionably correct.
I appreciate the input. I'm gonna suck it up and just pay out of pocket for a doctor.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Make ur appointment for like a month down the road. In the meantime, spend more time with cuff stability such as light extetnal rotations with very slow eccentric control, forearm stretching (both flexors and extensors), thoracic outlet nerve glide/stretch, and scalene and sterno cleido mastoid stretch. U will hit all of the obvious suggestions in this thread. Use Youtube for ideas from Therpists and trainers to develop ur program.

Do go to an orthopedist or neurologist. DO NOT pay for an NCV or EMG because it only serves to provide a basis for need for surgery. I believe u said u are paying out of pocket and finances will get out of control if u start going down that road.

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
Make ur appointment for like a month down the road. In the meantime, spend more time with cuff stability such as light extetnal rotations with very slow eccentric control, forearm stretching (both flexors and extensors), thoracic outlet nerve glide/stretch, and scalene and sterno cleido mastoid stretch. U will hit all of the obvious suggestions in this thread. Use Youtube for ideas from Therpists and trainers to develop ur program.

Do go to an orthopedist or neurologist. DO NOT pay for an NCV or EMG because it only serves to provide a basis for need for surgery. I believe u said u are paying out of pocket and finances will get out of control if u start going down that road.
Yeah I would be paying out of pocket. I have looked at a few videos so I'm gonna start them today

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah I would be paying out of pocket. I have looked at a few videos so I'm gonna start them today
Once u get rolling after like a week, post on here what u think is helping and what u think is hurting, and what is neutral/ineffective. I will try to help u as much as is reasonable via internet forum LOL

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
Once u get rolling after like a week, post on here what u think is helping and what u think is hurting, and what is neutral/ineffective. I will try to help u as much as is reasonable via internet forum LOL
Haha ill update once it starts feeling better. I've started rotations with 5lb weights and regulars wrists exercises.

macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Sound's like your ulnar. Nerve is pinched or trapped at th3 elbow!
Will cause numbness of pinky, ring finger , and middle finger. More so the first two. Also, can lead to loss of strength ,(grip strength, and forearm.) Have you begun dropping things in that hand or say your holding a drink in that hand and next thing you know your spilling it on the floor.?

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
Sound's like your ulnar. Nerve is pinched or trapped at th3 elbow!
Will cause numbness of pinky, ring finger , and middle finger. More so the first two. Also, can lead to loss of strength ,(grip strength, and forearm.) Have you begun dropping things in that hand or say your holding a drink in that hand and next thing you know your spilling it on the floor.?
Not quite to that point. I have dropped a couple small things like a screwdriver and whatnot.

jaces

jaces

Awards
It sounds to me as if you have a condition where the position you are in will lead to restricting blood flow, i also tore my rotar cuff and damged my infraspinatus. I can't precisely remember the name of the syndrome but a common one ppl with shoulder and neck problems get is Thoracic Outlet Syndrome..

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
I have bad tendonitis in my right elbow and I will get a similar sensation to you as well. It goes away and doesn't last long at all, but still weird. I will bend over to pick up something and my fingers on the right side go tingly. Or I will reach back and they will be tingly.

I do have knots across my upper back where the traps and bone are and had a pinches nerve on the left side. I would try this stuff that has been suggested out before going. That was a good idea on your end. I do roll my upper back area with a roller and a tennis ball. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get the knots to fully release. Hopefully you'll get some relief!

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
It sounds to me as if you have a condition where the position you are in will lead to restricting blood flow, i also tore my rotar cuff and damged my infraspinatus. I can't precisely remember the name of the syndrome but a common one ppl with shoulder and neck problems get is Thoracic Outlet Syndrome..
Yep. Pitchers actually need surgery to repair this. Causes some issues.

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
I have bad tendonitis in my right elbow and I will get a similar sensation to you as well. It goes away and doesn't last long at all, but still weird. I will bend over to pick up something and my fingers on the right side go tingly. Or I will reach back and they will be tingly.

I do have knots across my upper back where the traps and bone are and had a pinches nerve on the left side. I would try this stuff that has been suggested out before going. That was a good idea on your end. I do roll my upper back area with a roller and a tennis ball. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get the knots to fully release. Hopefully you'll get some relief!
Its starting to go away now finally. It'll still get tingly but not nearly as bad. I've been using the foam rollers a lot lately also lol. They work wonders

jaces

jaces

Awards
Finaly looked up the syndrome i was talking about and its compartment syndrome, very common in sports where muscle hypertrophy is involved.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Finaly looked up the syndrome i was talking about and its compartment syndrome, very common in sports where muscle hypertrophy is involved.
Lol. It isnt compartment syndrome. That develops into tissue necrosis bc intracompartmental pressure > mean arterial pressure and therefore the blood cant reach the tissue w/in the compartment. The internet doctoring is getting a bit excessive in this thread, i am sorry that i contributed to it.

jaces

jaces

Awards
Lol. It isnt compartment syndrome. That develops into tissue necrosis bc intracompartmental pressure > mean arterial pressure and therefore the blood cant reach the tissue w/in the compartment. The internet doctoring is getting a bit excessive in this thread, i am sorry that i contributed to it.
I'm suggesting that it is acute compartment syndrome caused by the fascia being to tight thus constricting blood vessels and increasing pressure inside the muscle while in a certain position causing lowered blood flow giving the pins and needles. For it to become necrotic it has to be over a prolonged period.

jaces

jaces

Awards
Not trying to be rude but rather start a debate

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Not trying to be rude but rather start a debate
Welcome to most threads in the injury forum. Gotta control ourselves in here, just like when we see bad form in the gym. Just look the other way LOL

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So for the past few weeks my index, middle and ring finger on my right hand have been going numb a few times a day. Nothing else goes numb and its hard to get the feeling back.

I do have a torn rotator cuff in that shoulder along with an impingement that led to some shoulder instability. I've had this problem for a few years now.

I haven't injured anything as far as I know lately. I'm thinking I pinched a nerve in my wrist or elbow. Any insight on how to help or fix this?

Thanks
I know im wee bit late but I have the same issue it is mostly likely nerve damage due to the shoulder injuries

jaces

jaces

Awards
Welcome to most threads in the injury forum. Gotta control ourselves in here, just like when we see bad form in the gym. Just look the other way LOL
Haha yeah i can sound like an ass sometimes but it's not intentional

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Possible but unless he was getting hit in the back or head a ton doesn't seem likely

jaces

jaces

Awards
I know im wee bit late but I have the same issue it is mostly likely nerve damage due to the shoulder injuries
Never to late to join a good debate. Hmm before I suggested the compartment syndrome i also thought brachial plexus but then he would have weakness in that arm and usually pain in the shoulder, plus it would be more in one arm than both?

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Never to late to join a good debate. Hmm before I suggested the compartment syndrome i also thought brachial plexus but then he would have weakness in that arm and usually pain in the shoulder, plus it would be more in one arm than both?
Still think brachial plexus fits. He may be unaware of a mild injury in the other arm. As for loss of strength yes that would be expected but it also depends on the level of impingement or damage

jaces

jaces

Awards
Still think brachial plexus fits. He may be unaware of a mild injury in the other arm. As for loss of strength yes that would be expected but it also depends on the level of impingement or damage
Agreed, im not very educated in those nurves so i cant say much about them

jaces

jaces

Awards
With a brachial plexus isnt scapula winging or an inability to retract the scapula properly also a side effect?

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
With a brachial plexus isnt scapula winging or an inability to retract the scapula properly also a side effect?
Not positive on that I think so but I don't for sure

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm suggesting that it is acute compartment syndrome caused by the fascia being to tight thus constricting blood vessels and increasing pressure inside the muscle while in a certain position causing lowered blood flow giving the pins and needles. For it to become necrotic it has to be over a prolonged period.
Lol...It isn't acute compartment syndrome. You do realize that acute compartment syndrome warrants emergency surgery to prevent tissue necrosis, right? He'd have bigger problems if that were the cause of 3 of his fingers going numb intermittently. Time for you to quit playing internet doctor. Do a little more research. Didyou even ask dr. Google?
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1491758998.024164.jpg

Edit: i realize i am probably coming off as a bit of an ass. It really isn't my intent to do so, but it just really annoys me when people give ridiculous medical advice/information online. I dont get why its so accepted to give/take medical advice online from someone who has had 0 formal education on the matter.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You need to see an ortho and get test done to find out what's wrong instead of everyone here telling what is wrong with you.
The longer it takes to go get your MRI and EMG and what ever other test the orthos suggest the worse your condition will become.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You need to see an ortho and get test done to find out what's wrong instead of everyone here telling what is wrong with you.
The longer it takes to go get your MRI and EMG and what ever other test the orthos suggest the worse your condition will become.
This has been covered already. He's already set up his appointment and had been advised not to have the EMG based on his history, symptoms, and paying out of pocket.

An EMG NCV is likely to state that he has nerve irritation to the perioheral nerves that are making his fingers numb. His problem is intermittant which may lead to "car starts when u have it at the mechanics" situation, in other words tests show nothing and he has to take out of loan to pay for the test. Ncv/EMG can be useful to get insurance authorization as support for a neurosurgeon who needs more objective evidence.

An MRI isnt necessary either. It is implied that his shoulder has already been diagnosed.

Furthermore, OP has specifically stated that it might be getting a little better already.

Op, this thread has completely derailed. You have zero indication of compartment syndrome or vascular (blood flow) issue based on ur posts. These guys will have u calling the coroner next, u'll be lucky to survive the weekend!!! LOL

Brandinooooo

Brandinooooo

Awards
  • Established
So I went to the doc, turns out I'm transgender with an unborn twin living in my shoulder.

Lol.

Sorry had to lighten the mood a bit. But it was the impingement in my shoulder causing stress on the nerve thus making it numb at times.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So I went to the doc, turns out I'm transgender with an unborn twin living in my shoulder.

Lol.

Sorry had to lighten the mood a bit. But it was the impingement in my shoulder causing stress on the nerve thus making it numb at times.
I figure as much! That's what I was diagnosed with after my shoulder injuries. As I had very VERY similar symptoms. I waiting for nerve restore to be re-released and see if that helps as in one of the shoulder the damage I have can't be fixed with surgery and the other needs surgery BAD!! Although I'm way to poor for surgery.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Lol.

Mic drop!

jaces

jaces

Awards
Lol...It isn't acute compartment syndrome. You do realize that acute compartment syndrome warrants emergency surgery to prevent tissue necrosis, right? He'd have bigger problems if that were the cause of 3 of his fingers going numb intermittently. Time for you to quit playing internet doctor. Do a little more research. Didyou even ask dr. Google? View attachment 147440

Edit: i realize i am probably coming off as a bit of an ass. It really isn't my intent to do so, but it just really annoys me when people give ridiculous medical advice/information online. I dont get why its so accepted to give/take medical advice online from someone who has had 0 formal education on the matter.
I think you should use firefox, google is a bit of a broad search engine for you

jaces

jaces

Awards
Just bustin your balls , went back and found my clinical pharmacy books, mixed up acute and chronic compartment syndrome, apologize for my mistake

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thought to add to this thread. Last Saturday I spend several hours in an uncomfortable sitting position using mouse no pad and poor arm angle. Following morning pinky numb. Able to function normally only do not trust myself to hold heavy weights. During the week The pinky regains some feeling and numbness moves to the ring finger. Now both are partially numb. Unable to properly slice thick crust bread/carrots.etc. Yesterday began using a heating pad for about 3 hrs and same today. A bit better.

Able to grasp only grip strength compromised as mentioned above cutting dense items.Usually use 45lb dumbbells and 25-30 are the limit now without the DB flopping in my hand.

No other injuries. Very fit and active-do more HIIT than heavy weights as a norm. So believe circulatory system is fine.

Just FYI and will post updates.

Believe it is a something pinched due to crampt elbow/hand placement while working Sat of last week.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Tried ulnar never impingement rehab exercises today. Feel much better.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Considerable improvement the past few days since wearing a brace to straighten the elbow and doing ulnar nerve flossing exercises-The waiter, the mask, Tai-Chi type of movements. Still not 100%. Grip opened up this morning with moderate DLs.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Update to this. Feeling fully restored in my ring finger and almost entirely in pinky. Grip strength almost back to normal. Have been continuing with ulnar nerve flossing exercises and wearing a brace while sleep which keeps the arm extended.