Ulnar Nerve Surgery

Kevinhim

Kevinhim

Awards
Whats up everyone?

Got a quick question if anybody has ideas. I recently had an Ulnar nerve transposition due to an injury. Which basically means my funny bone nerve was put on the top of my arm. And on top of that I had a few surgeries in my good hand. Im in recovery and it could be a long road (years) before I am able to use that arm normally again. For the foreseeable future deadlifts are behind me, and they have been my bread and butter. Any ideas what I can do to effectively replace these?? Thanks for the read!

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
How about Rack Pulls? Can you do those instead?

Kevinhim

Kevinhim

Awards
Unfortunately no, anything requiring even a moderate grip won't be available for awhile

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Even with wrist wraps. I'm just thinking of what could allow you to work without hurting. Trying to work around it.

Kevinhim

Kevinhim

Awards
My situation all around sucks, i can't have much of any stress in a pulling motion b/c of the elbow surgery. I've been working biceps/triceps w/ dumbbells under 10lbs lol.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
How about a Zercher Deadlift?

Kevinhim

Kevinhim

Awards
Thats a good idea for a few more months down the road thanks! My ulnar nerve was severed then re-attached at the crevice of my arm, so if I rest anything on it even though its been a couple months I risk injuring it again.

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Well you might have to just let it go for now, but you could work in the Zercher as you get better and heal up.

macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Unfortunately no, anything requiring even a moderate grip won't be available for awhile
Question for ya. How bad was the entrapped nerve.? I had ulnar surgery. Can you feel anything in the elbow and lower tricep? Or is it totally numb? When does therapy begin?

berazzled

berazzled

Awards
  • Established
It wont be years,i had it done i was back to normal in 6 months.i have a 6 inch scar,and my funny bone nerve is on the side of my arm now.as far as strength though,6 months out i could do anything i use to do.

Kevinhim

Kevinhim

Awards
It was pretty badly entrapped, my hand is still completely numb on that side leading up the arm, and w/ all the other surgeries I've been set back. Im three months into recovery and I still have issues lifting 10lbs. I also had a few hand surgeries though..

Kevinhim

Kevinhim

Awards
Also been going to physical therapy 2-3x per week past 3 months

macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Also been going to physical therapy 2-3x per week past 3 months
So ring finger and pinky still numb and elbow. it took me half a year. Do you have an ems machine. To use at home

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I have nerve entrapment in both elbows that causes mainly my pinky to middle fingers to tingle, and sometimes I get my pointer and thumb as well.

The surgeon never mentioned complete numbness after surgery, is that normal? Mines not bad enough to even want surgery but after reading this it makes any thought of future surgeries to fix it go out the window.

macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I have nerve entrapment in both elbows that causes mainly my pinky to middle fingers to tingle, and sometimes I get my pointer and thumb as well.

The surgeon never mentioned complete numbness after surgery, is that normal? Mines not bad enough to even want surgery but after reading this it makes any thought of future surgeries to fix it go out the window.
After surgery its possible there will be numbness in the elbow area. But your hands and fingers should go back to normal. with time the area around the elbow should get back most of its feeling. . it just takes time.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
After surgery its possible there will be numbness in the elbow area. But your hands and fingers should go back to normal. with time the area around the elbow should get back most of its feeling. . it just takes time.
Oh okay, I read it wrong I guess.

macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Oh okay, I read it wrong I guess.
I don't even notice it anymore. But my left elbow has no sense of pain or touch. Everything feels normal tricep bicep forearm. I guess I forget. One time at work we had to gon out and make rail switch. I must of hit my elbow climbing up the engine or jumping off . didn't know it until a co-worker told me I was bleeding and had a gash on it. Lol. But hand wise and finger wise I had all my normal feeling. It. Really felt odd for a long time . but it did go away.

Kevinhim

Kevinhim

Awards
I also had hand surgeries AND an ulnar nerve transposition so my case is different. but yea, my ****s numb completely and my hand literally feels broken. And the nerve gets triggered everytime i do a bicep curl motion and I get heavy tingling and pain. They say its possible I'll heal and ill be functional with that arm, but for the foreseeable future nada.

Kevinhim

Kevinhim

Awards
Ulnar nerve surgery is usually successful, and rarely results in a transposition in most cases I've seen. So don't be afraid to go for it, I've met people with success stories