Shoulder Pain from Bench

Erikeckert

Erikeckert

Awards
So about 3 weeks ago I was on the flat bench. I started with a warm up and then graduated to about 70% of my max. When I lowered the weight down, I felt something move under my shoulder and towards my trap area. It didn't hurt then but when I lifted the weight back up that's when there was a pop and tear feeling in that same area. I had to stop bench right then, and any other chest exercise that session would cause a lot of pain in my shoulder area to do. It got to a point where I could barely lift my hand above my head. Over the past 3 weeks I have not trained chest due to this pain I have in my shoulder and it hurts to do dips and any kind of lateral raises or shoulder exercises. The only thing I could find about this was a shoulder blowout but I am unsure if that's even what it is. Any ideas of what caused this, how to treat, and how long until I am able to be back to normal. Any other ways to train chest as well without irritating my shoulder?

VTGhoul

VTGhoul

Awards
Dude, go to the doctor. If you irritate this injury further it could put you out even longer. Sorry if this post isnt helpful.

As for what it sounds like, it sounds like an muscular tear. Which takes forever and a half to heal and could possibly require surgery depending how bad it is.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

It's your supraspinatus Tendon. IF IT IS NOT TORN there are ways to rehab it with Stretches and RC work. It'll take time though. Start with finding out if it's torn by going to the doctor. Usually you'll notice irritation there before it gets to a complete tear. Have you?

Erikeckert

Erikeckert

Awards
Its progresivly better than it was 21 days ago, just certain movements cause pain and trying to reach my other shoulder causes discomfort and pain. And i have to use my other arm for my hand to reach my shoulder.

Erikeckert

Erikeckert

Awards
Wouldnt say its torn if i could predict

Erikeckert

Erikeckert

Awards
Should i hold off on all chest exercises?

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Other exercises may irritate it as well. Like squats or anything that Stretches or uses that muscle/Tendon. It may vary based on your injury.

You said it "popped and tore" (feeling). If you believe it's a tear, I'd ask a doctor.

Mine started with bicep Tendonitis. My doctor said rest and it never got better.

I did some of this after some research:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNh-BlBhdOq9DlVtXSzAf41m9khwfNSu-

...And it went away completely- but caused supraspinatus issues. Probably due to constant rehab of part of the Tendon and neglect of the other.

This is what I'm doing now for my supraspinatus Tendon:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNh-BlBhdOq8NTuT_bT4tIwOFP43jg7W0

I am currently avoiding Barbell pressing (except occasional wide grip which doesn't hurt) and making sure my shoulders are nice and warm before squatting or any bench.

A powerlifting arch with a bench very close to 17" makes it feel better. A lot better.

The issue is a symptom of something we are doing our body doesn't like or our body isn't prepared to handle.

Erikeckert

Erikeckert

Awards
Thanks bro!

gaz7456

gaz7456

Awards
If you can get it scanned and/or a professional look at it then better to do that early than continue with an injury that you don't know how to treat correctly. I've had 11 months of issues with my shoulder that had i known at the outset that it was a rotator cuff injury i could have corrected much more quickly and without the need for cortisone shots and lots of PT sessions.