Smal umbilical hernia

Bigman1292

Bigman1292

Awards
Mid prep for a show and noticed looks like I have the start of an umbilical hernia, doesn't hurt st all, seeing doc Friday. Can't stop training hard now, anyone else had one of these? Should I continue to train abs? What exercises? I have zero pain it's the size of a Nickle in belly button

Sdog77

Sdog77

Awards
  • Established
I had mine for about 10 yrs before I just had surgery this year. Had no issues with training abs or pain. I'm sure it's a case by case basis though.

Bigman1292

Bigman1292

Awards
I had mine for about 10 yrs before I just had surgery this year. Had no issues with training abs or pain. I'm sure it's a case by case basis though.
Did it get bigger over time? I'm so paranoid I feel it daily now and always think about it Worried . Should I just chill out? Im really focusing on exhaling when training now

Infinisteve

Awards
I had mine for about two years before I had it repaired. It kept growing, slowly. No pain. It was an outpatient surgery, I slept in a recliner for two days and it was maybe 4 days before there was no, or almost no, post-surgical pain. The surgeon told me to stay away from weights for 3 weeks, then light weights for another 3 weeks.
Usually you can let them go for a long time and they'll probably never be a problem other than looking weird. OTOH, if you're one of the unlucky ones and you get a little bit of intestine ligated in there you can die pretty quickly.

fro60ol

fro60ol

Awards
  • Established
I had one about 18months ago and has to stop training it hurt way too much pain Same set up as the guy above me. 2 days in a recliner 5 days later minimum pain training 2 weeks later. And full go about a month after that

Sdog77

Sdog77

Awards
  • Established
From the time i noticed it, it never got bigger and it never once hurt.

Bigman1292

Bigman1292

Awards
I had mine for about two years before I had it repaired. It kept growing, slowly. No pain. It was an outpatient surgery, I slept in a recliner for two days and it was maybe 4 days before there was no, or almost no, post-surgical pain. The surgeon told me to stay away from weights for 3 weeks, then light weights for another 3 weeks.
Usually you can let them go for a long time and they'll probably never be a problem other than looking weird. OTOH, if you're one of the unlucky ones and you get a little bit of intestine ligated in there you can die pretty quickly.
Well thank you, guess I'll keep an eye on it

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Does it feel like a little ball? I just discovered mine the other day. Doesn't really hurt but it feels like a marble. Going to the doctor next week.

Infinisteve

Awards
At first I my belly button started to look like an "outie" and then gradually got larger. It should be soft and you should be able to push it back in. I didn't have any pain.

fro60ol

fro60ol

Awards
  • Established
Does it feel like a little ball? I just discovered mine the other day. Doesn't really hurt but it feels like a marble. Going to the doctor next week.
Mine was not firm just felt like a bubble on the top of my belly button

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Mine was not firm just felt like a bubble on the top of my belly button
Ahhh, mine is actually on top of my pelvic bone, on my right side. I don't know what it is but the other day I felt like something was tearing and then I felt the ball. :/

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I had one too...quite common for us that lift weights apparently. Mine was about 4-5 years ago and it never caused any pain pre-surgery and I did stop doing things that directly targeted my abs. Post surgery, it just felt like I had been punched in the stomach for 4-5 days? Ultimately it was not all that traumatic and I did not workout for about six weeks post surgery as I recall. Then I worked back into it slowly. I recommend having your surgeon use the "mesh" if given the option...usually depends on size. I had the mesh and I have had no issues whatsoever. Somebody I work with that does not do any fitness training opted to not get the mesh, and his umbilical hernia came back.