First Gym injury

Sal417

Awards
So yesterday was my first gym injury since I started about 5 months ago. I was doing shrugs for traps "Super setting with dumb bells 75-65-55 3 sets 8-12 reps" and just did a regular 3 set with 2x 45 plates on shrug machine. I didn't feel anything after that so I continued my shoulder routine, Well when I was finished I can feel some tightness in my neck when I was turning to the left more so than the right, This morning when I woke up its a little stiff but its kinda bearable needless to say its my first rookie mistake I guess and hope its my last injury for a long time!

TNlifting

TNlifting

Awards
  • Established
Put a tennis or lacrosse ball in a tube sock and throw it over your shoulder. Lean up against the wall and try and find those tight spots with the ball. Rest on any knots or tight spots for about a minute or so, then do some gently stretching. You'll be fine. Also shrugs never really agreed with me, so you may just want to consider ditching them altogether if you continue to have this problem. Deadlifts, facepulls, and band pull aparts are all I have needed for traps. Oh and I also like farmers walks. Good luck to you

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Deadlifts, facepulls, and band pull aparts are all I have needed for traps. Oh and I also like farmers walks. Good luck to you
Couldnt agree with this any more. Esp deads and farmers. High rep facepulls are good also, as you mentioned.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I wouldn't call that an injury, just a neck muscle strain by the way you describe it. Similar to how it feels in the morning when you sleep with your neck in an odd position. If you want to speed up the recovery, ice, massage (tennis ball is great), and stretch maybe starting tomorrow. Put both hands behind your head with good neck and overall posture, then push back with your head against the resistance of your hands. Hold that like a stretch. Do it like three times for 30 seconds a few times a day until it feels better. This is a great stretch to prevent strains as well. My chiropractor taught me this...

Also, I would just cut shrugs out of your routine anyway like others said. The risk of further strain outweighs any benefits...

Sal417

Awards
But all is good now no more tightness seem to back to normal

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
never done facepulls yet so i wouldn't know how to do them
Get on a pully with light weight. Set it at face height with the rope attachment and pull twords ur face right above your ears